Next Generation Emulation banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Nope. Most supercomputers are not using x86 based processors. As pcsx2 has x86 assembly, it would fail to compile. Also they are massively parallel systems. Pcsx2 does not support smp. Of course this is all moot really :p.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
erm I never said it wasn't :p. Basically your misunderstanding the nature of the operating system.

I'll try and explain it in terms of an analogy. Lets say you have two cars. The first car has a petrol engine. The second car is diesel. Now they are both cars, they both will get your from a to b etc. but you can't put petrol into the diesel car and expect it to work, nor can you put diesel into a petrol car.

In a similar vain there are different "types" of linux for different processors. A program compiled for 1 version won't run on a different one. It needs to be rebuilt (with our car anaology the fuel needs to be further refined) for that version.

·
Registered
10 Posts
but programs can be writen to run all processor types, but i guess they normally aren't programs which require huge amounts of power, like Java applications...

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
That's because they aren't fully compiled. Java is an interpreted language, so the Java virtual machine has still to take the program's code and translate it to the cpu architecture to be used. And so, you need different versions of jvm to run on different cpus and os. Besides, it needs extra cpu power, because it works just like in emulation - you have to translate the commands.

As PCSX2 is a precompiled program, wich is absoultely needed in order to get any performance, it has to be compiled for a especific os/arquitecture. Using only standard c, or code that exists in both linux and windows c compilers, you can make it so it's not that hard to compile almost the same code for both os, and you can branch the code in problematic spots. But since it uses x86 assembly, wich means exact cpu instructions, you must use an x86 computer (pentium and similar intel's, athlon and similar amd's, etc) to run it. So in short, no :p

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Erm slight correction, java is not an interreted language. It's code is compilied just like c. Apart from that everything i-chan said is correct. The java complilied code is not compiled for your pc, but instead is complied to run on the JVM (which is an emu in all but name really :p ).

Anyways back to the car analogy :D.

Both petrol and diesel are made from crude oil. However they are not the same fuel. Likewise a program is generated from source code, but needs to be compilied to form the software than can run on that machine. If part of the source is already "pre-complied" (ie written in assembly) then you can only compile it into one type of code.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts