Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far so good the plugin is as I'm happy with the speed and capability. However I heard that the next update will include Full Vram Primitives option but it being software controlled won't it slow down emulation?? I know it might get FF9 to work 100%.
Will speed and compatibility balance out?? I heard some folks on this board at the same time want those flashy FF9 transitions and swirls but at the same time want to keep that good FPS. Just curious here.
your reply would be appreciated.
thanks.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Originally posted by mecharmor23
So far so good the plugin is as I'm happy with the speed and capability.
Glad to hear it :)
However I heard that the next update will include Full Vram Primitives option but it being software controlled won't it slow down emulation??
If enabled, yes it will.
I know it might get FF9 to work 100%.
"might" is the important word. I am not guaranteeing that everything will work with the new options, but it will certainly help.
Will speed and compatibility balance out??
Well, like with most of the options in my plugin, you have the choice. Don't like it, or don't want it? Turn it off. Want it? Turn it on. But it is important to understand that almost everything is a compromise: to get extra features, you loose speed, because the extra features require more processing time. It is very very rare you get "something for nothing".
I heard some folks on this board at the same time want those flashy FF9 transitions and swirls but at the same time want to keep that good FPS.
You can only please some of the people some of the time. And some people you just can't please no matter what you do. "That's Life" (registered trademark of God Creations Ltd.). If they want the swirls and stuff, then they will have to "pay" for it, and that may mean a slowdown.
Let me expand a bit on the current options for Off-Screen Drawing, as I am now working on. You have the choice of:-
Disabled - No off-screen drawing is performed
Basic - Some off-screen drawing is done, same as the current plugin does when set to "Enabled"
Extra - This is a "hybrid" mode. It normally works as "Basic", but when it detects recursive texturing, it switches on Full VRAM rendering in software, but only for the length of time the recursive texturing is being done in the game.
Full - Everything is rendered in software as well as hardware, all the time. Massive overhead, but _should_ cater for all PSX recursive texturing.
I believe the Extra setting is the ideal compromise: Full VRAM rendering is only enabled when needed. Unfortunately, there is a fair bit of work in trying to detect when Full VRAM rendering is needed, and also to handle it when it first starts. If I can get this setting to work perfectly, then the Full setting would not be needed.
Anyway, like I said, you the user nearly always have control over the individual settings, so you can choose the settings you prefer for the games you play. With 4 sets of settings to switch between on-the-fly with my plugin, it does make life easier ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts