Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to ask people living in america who use their cable connection or other conection to download games.are they allowed to download games.my friend told me where he is living they are not allowed to see such sites.and if some one do they send a notice to their home.what about u guys.

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
Technically, it is illegal, violating copyright laws & license agreements & stuff, to download that stuff. Posting, I'm not sure on. But we do it anyways. :p However, if you own the original game, it's OK, 'cause then it's a "backup" copy. Ah, well . . . ;)

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
there are games/roms that are legal to download. they are generally referred to as "homebrewn" games.
one such example that comes to mind is a GBC game that M&M released on their website a little while back. They suggested that you download an emulator to play it.

however, the games you probably are referring to are backup images of retail games. these are illegal to download (unless you supposedly own an original copy) and we have rules regarding information relating to such illegal material.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I think the question was: Do cable modem users in America get a warning when they go to a site with illegal games to download?

the answer is No. Or at least I've never heard of that happening. I don't have a cable modem, but my friends do and I've done quite a bit of surfing at their houses and haven't seen any warnings like that.

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Man I live in Pakistan too......me and my cousin download all of the shit from net and never got any notice.........eheh..........!....well what is legal in this world.......law.........naaaaaaaa.........man I better go..........!

·
Registered
345 Posts
my freinds have never gotten a letter from their cable company about that kind of stuff.
tell you the truth, if the company did that, it would probably be violating some kind of privacy laws or something.

an analogy might be like the phone company taping someones phone to see what they are talking about and then sending them a warning if its about something illegal.

maybe the person got a letter because they used the supplied web space on their ISP's server to store illegal material.

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
Ohhhhhhh . . . oopsies :eek: !

I've never gotten that either, and I'm doing all sorts of . . . better quit while I'm ahead :D .

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys about my friend he says that they can't enter such sites their browser just says thay can't enter.anyway it would be easier for u guys to download i live also in pakistan and if i buy a cd rather than downloading it than it will be more cheaper for me here.
who is the guy who waits for the downloading on a 56k modem when he can get it for $0.17 well it's good for people like us but not for our country.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts