Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since long time ago I've been hearing how good Xenogears is. People crying when they see someone posting some Xeno pics at the PSX screenshots forums. And I don't have to mention how much they were having difficulty in breathing when they saw Xenosaga first shots ;)

I kept looking to the Xenogears posted pics and wondered what was special about the game. But after years I finally took the step of playing the game after a friend recommended it alot (You know I'm talking about you, Killjoy)

When I started the game, inside me was an inner hatred to it for some unknown reason. The opening movie was great actually but the following scenes were questionable. I love 2D alot. But this wasn't the best 2D to see (Counting that's PSX and not SNES for example).

I got adapted, and I'm glad I did. The story began to get more and more complicated. And I think this is the only RPG game I've played where you'll never understand anything untill it's really the end. Other games were leaking the info slowly through the game. But here you got the shocks one after another at the very end. Giving you some of the never expected plot twists ever made.

Character designs were so great, there is no character that you'd feel empty or rushed out. Even some NPCs had alot of background to them that I wanted some of them to be playable (Like Jessia or Ramsus).

For the story, I don't want to spoil it here for people who haven't played it yet. Just know that this is one of the best ever stories interms of plot and direction (Although the direction was totally rushed out at the start of CD2 but it returned good again by it's half).

The story is playing in RL religions field. Which made it hard to me play sometimes. I had to close the game once or twice trying to make myself believe it's not true. Religion references to Islam and Christianity plus some asian's religions. Alot of references to RL civilisations through history. The ending was breathtaking. But I wasn't affectd as much as I did in FF7 though.

This is one of the rarest games that if they once will release a novel version of it, I'll get. Xenogears is so special it's not like any other story at all. It might make you remember Star wars many times btw, only way better ;) .

I'll tell you a secret. I hate gears :p . I hate all those robots anime stuff, although I liked them when I was a kid. I hated Gears in Xenogears too, but adaptation makes mircales. Gameplay wise I saw some very good fighting techniques which inspired me. But still I didn't like gameplay that much, as there was nothing much to discover.

The side quests were so little but they were more than enough to help the plot. Most of them add more background to your characters.

As for the music, I think Xenogears's music is the most overrated music ever. About 5 tracks only can be heard outside the game other than that you would sometimes wish there is an option to mute the game music. But I have to say the song played in the credits is awesome. There is also a hidden outstanding song hidden in a FMV not viewed in the game (I found it using PSXMC).

The FMVs were so cool, some of them were pure high quality anime. The artist made unbelivably beautifull scenes that you'd kill your friends to watch ^^". IG studio is behind it the same who made "Ghost in the shell" and "KOF :Another day". So quality of drawings and animation were pretty good.

Last thoughts :
This game is mainly about Story and characters designs. Maybe if the rest of the aspects were as good it would've been my most favourite game ever. But that didn't stop it from being one of the best I've played.

Memorable moments : SPOILERS

Id destroying Solaris in less than 10 seconds : I knew Grahf destroyed the whole planet 500 years ago, but I never imagined how can someone do something like that. Till I saw Id destroying Solaris. That was breathtaking really.

Fei and Elly kissing : I felt they will :evil: .

I was afraid Fei was going to fight the last battle nude :p . That was scary really ^^"

Krelian final farewell was great. I couldn't understand his final words though. If some can tell me I'll appreciate it. He said something like : "Actually, I'm the ...". I couldn't hear the last word well, but I think it was "Eternal".

Fei returning to Save Elly leaving the dimensional shift to close although he knew it would mean he'll stay here forever

The ending was great. Actually I was afraid that the game will have a sad ending, but I was wrong :)

Id and Fei knowing the truth by combining their memories about their mother together

Finally I recommened the game for everyone here :)

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Yes, I remember playing Xenogears. It was enjoyable, I liked the battle system and the story was not bad. But when it was time for disc 2 the game went down a little hill. And yes the music is overrated. It is strange; I usually like that composer’s work. (He did music for Chrono Cross as I recall)

Gaurav said:
Go play Planescape: Torment. :p
I have heard a little bit on this game. I wanted to try it out but I can't find it.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I have to agree with Katsuya on the second disk of Xenogears. But overall, the story was pretty great, although predictable concerning Fei. Not that it interfered. :)

Katsuya said:
I have heard a little bit on this game. I wanted to try it out but I can't find it.
It's from 1999, Black Isle, Interplay. It was
Chris Avellone's baby, who is also responsible for a little work on Fallout 2, a great part of the cancelled Van Buren project (BI's Fallout 3), and who's also one of the responsible men behind the better part of Obsidian's KoTOR 2 story/dialog.

I wasn't able to find it either when I wanted to play it. Luckily, an acquitance of mine who never replays games needed some money for lunch. :evil:

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And yes the music is overrated. It is strange; I usually like that composer’s work. (He did music for Chrono Cross as I recall)
Yes, Yasunori Mitsuda is a legend for me. And my favourite sound track is Chrono cross no doubt :thumb: (/wonders if they are going to make the next Chrono game ever : /)

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
planescape torment was (is?) most easily found bundled with soulbringer in the bargain section of pc game stores. i have no idea if its still carried religiously.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've been meaning to pick up Xenogears and try it sometime. I believe it's supposed to be ported to the DS, so I may wait for that.

I'm just about finished with Tales of Destiny 2 and Valkyrie Profile on PSX, two other games that are definitely worth checking out if you haven't.

·
The seeker of perfection
3,628 Posts
Cludvii, about your question regarding Krelian, he said something like

I actually envy you two

That sentence gave a whole different meaning to all the things lived in this story.

I didn't understood either and i thought: "hey, it's just me or i can't understand it?" I watched it 3 times until i looked for the story plot on gamefaqs.

I also posted about the secret video/song 3 years ago.
Nobody else could say to me why there was such a video if you could only watch it in a normal psx with a gameshark and acessing the debug room. It was a waste IMO.
If you look carefully you'll see there are pieces of past videos in it. At the ending of ff9 the same was made while the credits rolled. Maybe that was the original intention but it was rushed.

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I also posted about the secret video/song 3 years ago.
Nobody else could say to me why there was such a video if you could only watch it in a normal psx with a gameshark and acessing the debug room. It was a waste IMO.
If you look carefully you'll see there are pieces of past videos in it. At the ending of ff9 the same was made while the credits rolled. Maybe that was the original intention but it was rushed.
Same for Chrono Cross too. I think you are right :)

And btw I still think
Krelian said "Actually I'm ...." . Although I think that your sentence fits well. I'll have to check the script I guess

Edit 1 : I've just checked
Yes, You are right ^^

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
cloudvii said:
The story is playing in RL religions field. Which made it hard to me play sometimes. I had to close the game once or twice trying to make myself believe it's not true. Religion references to Islam and Christianity plus some asian's religions. Alot of references to RL civilisations through history. The ending was breathtaking. But I wasn't affectd as much as I did in FF7 though.
References were only biblical as far as I can tell, with some orientation on jewish-terminology (such as merkava for instance). Though if you remember in the beginning in the game...

When Fei and Bart sank into the desert cave and met the old man (forgot his name), they were told how humans changed their pasts into myths and religions. The whole "God resurrection" deal is to be thought of as humans twisting their pasts into a belief or religion. IIRC, later in the game it's explained that the "God" was actually a planetary weapon named "The God weapon" due to it's extreme power in annihilating any planet within it's target zone. Another religious theme worth mentioning was the Ethos and how evil they turned out to be. Perhaps many believers might find that offending, but I think they're missing the big picture. "Religion" or whatever Ethos preached for was used as a cover for dirty business, and that's true to some extent. In real life, religion was used to justify or cover up for several wrong doings. And while the game presented one religion is such manner, it also left another ( The Nisan sect.) as morally right till the very end. This game offers so many ways and prospectives to look at things, so it all depends on you and how would you take it. IMO, that's what makes the game really shine.

cloudvii said:
As for the music, I think Xenogears's music is the most overrated music ever. About 5 tracks only can be heard outside the game other than that you would sometimes wish there is an option to mute the game music. But I have to say the song played in the credits is awesome. There is also a hidden outstanding song hidden in a FMV not viewed in the game (I found it using PSXMC).
Heh? Rot in hell and die :p Most of the soundtrack was pretty good.

cloudvii said:
The FMVs were so cool, some of them were pure high quality anime. The artist made unbelievably beautifull scenes that you'd kill your friends to watch ^^". IG studio is behind it the same who made "Ghost in the shell" and "KOF :Another day". So quality of drawings and animation were pretty good.
If anything, The FMV were low quality anime. Outdated style + compressed badly ( welcome to the low PSX compression standard and low res ( 320x240) ). They were done nicely though and served their purpose.

cloudvii said:
Last thoughts :
This game is mainly about Story and characters designs. Maybe if the rest of the aspects were as good it would've been my most favorite game ever. But that didn't stop it from being one of the best I've played.
I'd say the game is about everything, though it's strong point is at storyline. It excels in graphics ( it's great for a PS game ), music and had a unique battle system.

cloudvii said:
I was afraid Fei was going to fight the last battle nude :p . That was scary really ^^"
I didn't like the whole nude thing. I suppose it was to represent their spiritual presence, but eh..I am not a big fan of the whole naked ordeal. Give em some clothes ya dirty bastards!!

cloudvii said:
Id and Fei knowing the truth by combining their memories about their mother together
Ah, that's one memorable moment. The sad past gets explaining while the music box theme plays ( Faraway promise ). Truly great.

cloudvii said:
Finally I recommend the game for everyone here :)
And I recommend you replay the game at least once, you'll need to do that if you wanna really understand the story. ;)

Yours,
-E

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
References were only biblical as far as I can tell, with some orientation on jewish-terminology (such as merkava for instance).
Well, I found many Islamic references too. And arabic words too :S

Heh? Rot in hell and die :p Most of the soundtrack was pretty good.
Fanboy ;) . J/k, but after all it's a matter of opinions.

I didn't like the whole nude thing.
Me too, specially that they didn't want to show Elly :rant: . What am I supposed to do with men butts :p ? But at least Krelian wasn't bad ^^" . Specially if you try to imagine he's agirl which wasn't so hard btw :p .

·
band
4,912 Posts
Well, I found many Islamic references too. And arabic words too :S
thats not too surprising. from a search on google, both christianity and judaism predate islam. i wudnt be surprised if islam and the arabic language took a few words from those two religions...

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
D.D. said:
thats not too surprising. from a search on google, both christianity and judaism predate islam. i wudnt be surprised if islam and the arabic language took a few words from those two religions...
They are all Abraham tradition religions ( ie : theists, especially muslims, argue that the similarities come from the same source ). In fact, some argue that there have to be similarities because at the end, all 3 are basically the same religion from one prospective. Arabic and Hebrew are both Semitic languages, so that might explain a few of their similarities. Nonetheless, I am no linguistic expert, so if there is anyone more knowledgeable in this issue, feel free to correct me.

But regardless, I still don't remember any "islamic" references. Care to show me where, Cloud? It's been a long time since I last played the game, heh :p

Yours,
-E

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.