Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you propably can see, i'm kind of upset!!!! 8[

I've tried hundreds of ****ing GPU-Plugins in the last hours and they either show nothing, just the background, only some polygons or similar...
but the MAIN SHIT is, that every time the graphics is ****ING slooooooooow!!!!! Which can't be if it uses hardware-acc.!!! The speed also drops significantly when turning towards the center of the level (more polygons, more pixels)

I've got a Geforce2MX in a 750MHz Athlon comp. BTW the game i tried was Jumping Flash 2 (but that should have nothing to do with acceleration...) Ah yes, and neither OpenGL nor DirectX Plugs work right... (i've got DX8 installed)

So, if anyone can help me, PLZ do it!!! Has anyone had a similar problem? know how to fix it?

Some people are wondering why some idiots spend so much money on commercial emus like VGS and Bleem...

My Opinion: Because they work?????? Not perfectly, but at least without numerous testing sessions with this gpu and that spu and so on.... A game works or it doesnt, simple as hell... SHIT!

So c'mon and prove that free software is not only cheaper but also better! I'd love to show off with epsxe, but it really doesn't look like it... :-/

Thx, Murray

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Firstly,Not many people will like criticizing of epsxe as it has been proved to be the best available psx emulator right now.

Secondly,The game you are trying may have some errors so dont reach a decision based on one game.

Thirdly,Read all the documents to understand the settings that suits your video card.For speed related issues i would suggest you use pete's d3d or ogl plugin(if your card supports it) and try different settings.Better click on "fast option",that may suit you.

Fourthly,A lot of work has been put into these emulators by coders and plugin developers so show some respect and mind your language.

And lastly welcome to NGEMU site,I hope you enjoy your stay.

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by scheissficken
As you propably can see, i'm kind of upset!!!! 8[

I've tried hundreds of ****ing GPU-Plugins in the last hours and they either show nothing, just the background, only some polygons or similar...
but the MAIN SHIT is, that every time the graphics is ****ING slooooooooow!!!!! Which can't be if it uses hardware-acc.!!! The speed also drops significantly when turning towards the center of the level (more polygons, more pixels)

I've got a Geforce2MX in a 750MHz Athlon comp. BTW the game i tried was Jumping Flash 2 (but that should have nothing to do with acceleration...) Ah yes, and neither OpenGL nor DirectX Plugs work right... (i've got DX8 installed)

So, if anyone can help me, PLZ do it!!! Has anyone had a similar problem? know how to fix it?

Some people are wondering why some idiots spend so much money on commercial emus like VGS and Bleem...

My Opinion: Because they work?????? Not perfectly, but at least without numerous testing sessions with this gpu and that spu and so on....
they are more userfriendly, yes...they have to be, they're commercial...but that's the genious of epsxe....it might look hard at first, but once you get into it you get rewarded with the best psx emulation out there.... so don't give up already ;)

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
Patience is a virture not for the insane.. i'm guessing you're not, so have a little bit of patience, specially don't forget TO READ THE MANUAL or TO READ THE FAQ or any document related to the emulator;) ..

BTW, have you checked some other games? :)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
My Opinion: Because they work?????? Not perfectly, but at least without numerous testing sessions with this gpu and that spu and so on.... A game works or it doesnt, simple as hell... SHIT!
If you're too lazy to mess around with the settings, then be it... use bleem! or VGS... ePSXe only rewards you if you spend the time (as Xeven said) to RTFM, tweak things here and there, RTFM, update your drivers, RTFM, etc etc etc. No pain no gain my friend.

So c'mon and prove that free software is not only cheaper but also better! I'd love to show off with epsxe, but it really doesn't look like it... :-/
I have proven that yes, it is cheaper, and yes better in a sense (I use ePSXe 99.5% of the time now... I only resort to VGS when a game doesn't work on ePSXe... my bleem! CD key is pretty much juts sitting in the corner now). Like I said, spend a little bit of effort, and it'll be worth it.

Now, to begin troubleshooting, try a different game..... what works in bleem! or VGS might not work on ePSXe, and the converse is also true. Try one of the standard games that have been known to work first (e.g. Tekken 3, Ridge Racer, Gran Turismo, etc etc), to determine whether the problem lies in the game or in your system configuration.

As for the speed... what resolution are you running at? A GF2MX would choke if you set the resolution at some crazy value (1600x1200x32bits, for example)... oh and also if your monitor vsync is enabled, that might do something to the framerates as well. BTW, did that game work on VGS and/or bleem!?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
anyone ever notice how people that have trouble with ePSXe never were around back with PSEmu pro? you know why, cuz compared to PSEmu pro, it take less than half the time to configure ePSXe, its really not that hard, new people are just lazy.

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
but is still disturbing

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I wish I had a hundred gpu plug-ins...

Also wondering why you think they're "idiots" if they spend money on vgs or bleem as you seem to be supporting the fact. If you like, you're free to go back to your "idiot friendly" emus instead of reading the documentation...

And also, just because you're pissed off is not really a good reason to take it out on the rest of us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OKIDOKI! :)

so much response? Cool! I know some other msgboards where no one would answer a question

like mine... 8]

So let's take an overview:
---
rio: I have installed Detonator 6.50 as the lates ones produce only errors and strange

stuff and don't gain any speed!
And i used both PeteGLUs...
---
prafull: It's difficult to mind my language when i'm ****ing upset! :)
and i tried some other games which behaved even worse except gran tourismo, which ran at

~double speed... :)
every other had, well 'glitches' is not hard enough...
---
Samor: thanks god that most people think that free software has to be user-friendly,

too!!!!!!
---
Xeven: i normally have patience, but pointless searching in FAQs and manuals that don't

deal with my problem (i searched for some hours and got no clue, that's why i asked here)

is kind of, ehhm, pointless? 8]
---
fivefeet8: i don't want to bother you with tons of infos about my settings, and the

difference between 640x480 and 1024x768 is minimal on an geforce... unless it's calculated

in software, which was obviously the case with jumping flash... (others worked in

hardware!?!??)
---
kairi00: yes, i am too lazy to mess around with cryptical settings that influence thing

not forseeable (fliters enable hardware rendering???) and yes, i will use VGS again.
btw most games ran pretty good on it without messing with settings (no wonder, VGS has NO

settings ;-)
if you set the price for an hour of fiddling with options to, let's say 2,50$, would it

still be cheaper? but i'm glad that there are people for whom epsxe works! that guaranties

further work on this somehow great program...
and the game worked on VGS (with polygon glitches and pretty slow) and on bleem (rather

fast but unplayable when a filter was apllied (colours are turning sepia when collecting a

stop sign))
---
Ryoga: people were perhaps not as lazy as now, but earlier they knew and accepted that

psemu pro was experimental and just at the beginning of development.
------
SepHirotH OmEgA: no comment :)
---
gerbilcannon: why the hell do you want hundreds of plugs? what about 1 that works????????
and i don't think they're idiots! i'm glad you recognized this with your great

apprehension... 8]
and also: i thought this was a discussion board? a discussion includes people not just

stating 'epsxe is cool and the best ever!'
---

to put an end to this....

i appreciate the effort many professional programmers put into epsxe and the various

plugs, but you know what? i'd even more appreciate it if some people would also put some

effort in usability!

just think of MAME. that's how an emulator should be like...
it's free. it emulates numerous different machines and games. it's got a database with

what games work and what the non-working games lack. it's almost more than usable. it's as

easy as hell and works. and there is no need to look in the internet for aditional files

or faqs or sth...

sure, the arcade machines emulated may not be as complex as a psx, but there are many of

them emulated. MAME is almost PERFECT!

take for another example Linux... It's better than windows, no doubt about that. but what

keeps people from using it is the ease of use it's lacking. just yet it's gaining

attention because some companies like suse or redhat make distributions as easy to install

and use as windows. and i can understand that... (the missing applications may be an

argument, too... but at least for me it's the horrible 'interface'... 'ld' instead of

'dir'??? wth did no one think of understandable commands? man, when i think back to the

time with my amiga, (mental) tears are running down my face ;-)

usability is not a thing for dumb, lazy bastards... it's something that one can and should

expect! (at least if there have gone several years of R&D into the land...)
and i hope that with progressed development of epsxe and some plugs the developers gather

to a team and build some really cool distributions that just work without hours of

tweaking, downloading and reading FAQs...

i neither have the time nor the nerve to play around with settings just to have to accept

that a game doesn't work...
Is there at least a state that works best for ALL games or do you have to apply different

settings for different games?
(BTW, what i don't get is why some games use hardware acceleration and others don't!)

so, i'll stick with VGS and Bleem for the next time, and if a game doesn't work, it's

'ok'. (well not 'ok', it 'sucks', but what can i do? =)
and after some months i'll check back if there's another usable emulator. if not, i'll

wait some months again :)

but anyways thx for your attempts to help! I wish you the best and have fun with epsxe!

so long, Murray

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Re: OKIDOKI! :)

kairi00: yes, i am too lazy to mess around with cryptical settings that influence thing
not forseeable (fliters enable hardware rendering???) and yes, i will use VGS again.
btw most games ran pretty good on it without messing with settings (no wonder, VGS has NO
settings ;-)

Good for you... whatever works right? No one can force you to use ePSXe or whatever. If you think what you gain is not worth the trouble, then by all means stick to the easy ones.

if you set the price for an hour of fiddling with options to, let's say 2,50$, would it

still be cheaper?

As a matter of fact, it is.... I got ePSXe to run *AND* with a settings that works with 95% of my games within, uh, let's say, 15 minutes of getting it. If you tack on the time I need to figure out the extra settings for the funky little games, and experimenting with new plugins n' such, I'd say it totals up to about 1-2 hrs or so.... $5... that's a pretty good deal I'd say.

but i'm glad that there are people for whom epsxe works! that guaranties

further work on this somehow great program...
and the game worked on VGS (with polygon glitches and pretty slow) and on bleem (rather

fast but unplayable when a filter was apllied (colours are turning sepia when collecting a

stop sign))
---
Use whatever works for you. And this is just an example of that battle between ease-of-use vs. control.... I personally like control, knowing where things are, where files go to, what resolution I'm running at, what color depth, what filter, etc etc. Hence I prefer ePSXe (and actually Linux too, although I have to stick with Windows for all my games.. heh). But if you want total ease-of-use with minimal control/effort, then by all means bleem! or VGS all the way!

Good day :)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Comparing epsxe to mame and linux isn't exactly the best comparison out there considering that there are a lot more people working on both of those, both are open source, and judging from last time I installed linux it takes a hell of a lot longer to setup than it does for epsxe. And I do use 1 plug-in that works, Pete's opengl. Pete's d3d works too. So does Pete's software as well as Kazzuya's. Lewpy's 3dfx works as well (though not for my system because of the video card). As for the comment about wanting hundreds of plug-ins, it was sarcasm. You stated that you had tried hundreds of plug-ins. And thank you for your praise of my great apprehension (uh ... yeah ...). Also if you seriously want help the more details you provide the easier it makes it for us to help you. As to the usability of the emulator, it can be daunting at first, but a quick read through the documentation of both the emulator and the plug-ins clarifies things. I wonder how you would have survived in the days of MS-DOS with all the config.sys and autoexec.bat tweaking necessary to get a game running. My opinion is that you sir are spoiled. Considering that there are a limited number of people working on the emulator I'd much rather have them working on the compatability than on making the interface idiot proof. It would just be a losing battle since it is proven the idiots always win. I doubt there would be any less idiotic I-didn't-read-the-documentation-even-though-I-understand-English-thoroughly posts on this board. You are perfectly entitled to your own opinion though as I am to mine. As you astutely observed, this is a discussion board, though I do believe that this has digressed from plug-in troubleshooting. You also seem to be a bit confused about how hardware acceleration in the plug-ins actually works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: OKIDOKI! :)

Originally posted by kairi00

As a matter of fact, it is.... I got ePSXe to run *AND* with a settings that works with 95% of my games within, uh, let's say, 15 minutes of getting it. If you tack on the time I need to figure out the extra settings for the funky little games, and experimenting with new plugins n' such, I'd say it totals up to about 1-2 hrs or so.... $5... that's a pretty good deal I'd say.

Use whatever works for you. And this is just an example of that battle between ease-of-use vs. control.... I personally like control, knowing where things are, where files go to, what resolution I'm running at, what color depth, what filter, etc etc. Hence I prefer ePSXe (and actually Linux too, although I have to stick with Windows for all my games.. heh). But if you want total ease-of-use with minimal control/effort, then by all means bleem! or VGS all the way!

Good day :)
if you'd have started trying to get jumping flash running flawless(which was the main thing why i even considered using another emulator...), i'm sure you'd have landed somwhere in the middle
2-digit region... :)

and the second thing is exactly what most people get wrong...
there is NO battle between usability and configurability!
as you obviously don't know MAME, i advise you to give it a try. unpack it, feed it with some games, don't touch anything ---> it works. nevertheless you have all in all more than hundred of options to change... most of 'em even ingame. you can't beat that with a stick...
(i personally like the tiny-rgb scanline-type, it makes you feel like in a real arcade :)

i'd like VGS also to have more options, but what the hell, it does only try to emultate a PSX with standard resolution and depth...
after all, most games i tried ran pretty good with it, except some special? ones, that ran even worse on epsxe.
but that's a matter of my false config, i guess...

Murray

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by gerbilcannon
Comparing epsxe to mame and linux isn't exactly the best comparison out there considering that there are a lot more people working on both of those, both are open source, and judging from last time I installed linux it takes a hell of a lot longer to setup than it does for epsxe. And I do use 1 plug-in that works, Pete's opengl. Pete's d3d works too. So does Pete's software as well as Kazzuya's. Lewpy's 3dfx works as well (though not for my system because of the video card). As for the comment about wanting hundreds of plug-ins, it was sarcasm. You stated that you had tried hundreds of plug-ins. And thank you for your praise of my great apprehension (uh ... yeah ...). Also if you seriously want help the more details you provide the easier it makes it for us to help you. As to the usability of the emulator, it can be daunting at first, but a quick read through the documentation of both the emulator and the plug-ins clarifies things. I wonder how you would have survived in the days of MS-DOS with all the config.sys and autoexec.bat tweaking necessary to get a game running. My opinion is that you sir are spoiled. Considering that there are a limited number of people working on the emulator I'd much rather have them working on the compatability than on making the interface idiot proof. It would just be a losing battle since it is proven the idiots always win. I doubt there would be any less idiotic I-didn't-read-the-documentation-even-though-I-understand-English-thoroughly posts on this board. You are perfectly entitled to your own opinion though as I am to mine. As you astutely observed, this is a discussion board, though I do believe that this has digressed from plug-in troubleshooting. You also seem to be a bit confused about how hardware acceleration in the plug-ins actually works.
- i actually didn't know how many people are working on MAME...
- sure it took longer to install Linux, IT'S AN OS!!!! You can't just unpack and start it... :)
- and i tried a lot of different prefs and plugs and none did hardware acc on jumping flash...
- as you can propably imagine i was pretty confused that every plug only used software...
- in the times of MS-DOS i knew that PCs were shit and didn't use them. (i'm almost sure they're still shit :) i had an amiga...
- i had an amiga, i use MAME, sure i'm spioled! 8]
- i don't want an idiot-proof interface. you'd have a MAC then and i don't like MACs... btw, as you already stated: nothing is foolproof to a talented fool...
- and i read the docu, NOT COMPLETELY but that hadn't helped anyway. i tried to deal with the hardware-acc-should-be-there-but-it-only-does-software-mode-problem, and in NO FAQ OR DOCU there is a little magic button described that enables hw... :-/
i'm really sorry that i didn't expect that on some games hw suddenly turns to sw rendering... (btw, jumping flash seems to be one of the oddest programmed games although it's rather old AFAIK)
- and yes, sure i am confused! when i try all gpus i found in some hours and none works right and someone tells me to enable FILTERs to get HW acceleration... what do you expect???
hw acc should actually work right away, no? at least so that you can see there is any...

but anyways, can someone tell me a config for pete's opengl that works with 95% of the games? so i can at least test a couple of others... i give up with trying to get jumping flash running playable. sad...

no offense meant, Murray... 8]

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Re: Re: Re: OKIDOKI! :)

if you'd have started trying to get jumping flash running flawless(which was the main thing why i even considered using another emulator...), i'm sure you'd have landed somwhere in the middle
2-digit region... :)
Then maybe the game is glitchy emulated at the moment.. it is always a possibility :p

and the second thing is exactly what most people get wrong...
there is NO battle between usability and configurability!
as you obviously don't know MAME, i advise you to give it a try. unpack it, feed it with some games, don't touch anything ---> it works. nevertheless you have all in all more than hundred of options to change... most of 'em even ingame. you can't beat that with a stick...
(i personally like the tiny-rgb scanline-type, it makes you feel like in a real arcade :)
I'll give the control vs usability thing a rest for now... everyone's entitled to their own opinion. As for MAME.... where'd you get the idea that I "obviously don't know MAME?" Is it a sin to like MAME and think ePSXe is usable at the same time? ;)

And... you want a config for Pete's OGL that works 95% of the time? Here you go:

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.54
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce2 MX/AGP/SSE

Resolution/Color:
- 800x600 Fullscreen - Desktop changing [32 Bit]
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 4
- Caching: 2

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: 60

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: on

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Line mode: off
- Unfiltered FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

While we're on the subject, you might wanna upgrade your driver there.... the old ones give you worse performance; I have tested this myself. With Det 6.50, I cannot get full speed with the FF9/Chrono Cross "swirly" effects. With the one I'm using right now (Det 12.90), I can.

[edit] How did I come up with this?
1. Click "Nice"
2. Set off-screen drawing back to 2 (after reading the docs)
3. Played around with the filters (1/2/3/4) and stayed with the one I like.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Baka.

Texture filtering is not the same as hardware acceleration.

Macs definitely aren't idiot proof. My vector graphics class has taught me that.

Your comments on Linux then completely invalidate it as the comparison you were using.

I'd also recommend giving the 22.80s a try kairi00.

I don't own Jumping Flash so therefor I can't tell you whether it is emulated correctly or not.

Try a bit more research for your arguments next time. I'm going back to doing my homework now.

S

·
0 Posts
scheissficken (odd nick),
if you really think epsxe is that hard ...well, then use VGS or bleem!....but , and sorry if it sounds offending, if you really care about psx emulation I think you won't mind putting some effort in getting it to work. It's not as easy as some other emus out there, but you dont have to be a genius either.

MAME is easier perhaps, but not the easiest emu ever made. you still have to know where to look if you want to change sound, videosettings and controls.

VGS is perhaps one of the most user-friendly emus out there. However, it also lacks extra features.

Finally, if you want a real challenge, try fmsx-dos (without frontend!) or winuae ;)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
My opinion is that the more configurable it is the better! If that makes it more cryptic then oh well, mayhap I'll learn something on the way. I'm a very happy lil' rodent when browsing through those ini files and running amock in the registry!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how ePSXe is HARD to configure!..I mean, really, whats so hard?
my DVD (Drive I play games from) is drive F..thats pretty simple to set...
I use Pete's open GL plugin for my Geforece 2 at 1280*1024 8,8,8 textures and no filtering..no problems setting that.
Sound is even easier to set than the cdrom drive...

I mean come one...is it the Game pad??? really whats so hard??..
even my 7 year old brother figured out what he need to set within 5 minutes...

ans I agree ePSXe needs more settings...cause every system is different and what works on one might not work as well on another..being able to tweak it helps loads!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts