Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, i almost had a heart attack today.

I bring my pc to my friends pc store(im here right now), to clean my pc.
Them after i set up all hardware, i was going to format winxp.

I entered my old installation one last time, to check if i wasnt missing any backup. Everything was fine.
Then i put my winxp installation cd on drive, reboot pc, went to the bios to boot from cd.

The installation began, and to one of the worst suprises i ever had, when came to the part where it asks in which partition/drive u wanna install it, there was my C: and D: on my 40gb HDD, but 80gb not partitioned(this was the drive that had everything, i was going to merge C and D into one)

I went back to windows and it did found my 80gb HDD, but same thing.

He said to me turn off the pc, he will try later to save my data using bartpe and others programs.

I really hope this is possible, if not all data, at least the most important stuff, games and mp3 can go, i dont care...

Please tell me it is possible....

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Mad said:
Man, i almost had a heart attack today.

I bring my pc to my friends pc store(im here right now), to clean my pc.
Them after i set up all hardware, i was going to format winxp.

I entered my old installation one last time, to check if i wasnt missing any backup. Everything was fine.
Then i put my winxp installation cd on drive, reboot pc, went to the bios to boot from cd.

The installation began, and to one of the worst suprises i ever had, when came to the part where it asks in which partition/drive u wanna install it, there was my C: and D: on my 40gb HDD, but 80gb not partitioned(this was the drive that had everything, i was going to merge C and D into one)

I went back to windows and it did found my 80gb HDD, but same thing.

He said to me turn off the pc, he will try later to save my data using bartpe and others programs.

I really hope this is possible, if not all data, at least the most important stuff, games and mp3 can go, i dont care...

Please tell me it is possible....

I recall recommending to someone a while ago, using getdataback either for NTFS or for FAT. I actually recovered a whole partition that wasn't accessible in windows because the MBR and other got corrupted. Guess what I succeded recovering all my valuable data contained in the partition without any loss. So it's possible, just be aware that in the moment of the disaster any area of the disc that might have been written over erased data/files areas won't be recoverable.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm not following.. When you went back in to your old install, the partition on the other drive was there or it wasn't? If it wasn't try partition magic. There may be an error in the partition table.. It should detect any.

Ranish partition manager is good too, I've heard good things. Plus it's free.

Chris

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i managed to save all my data, but the hdd´s acting strange.
recognizing as ATA 100, when its ATA133, and i couldnt managed to use fdisk, it only saw 10gb out of 80gb.
I returned to the store, to see if still under warranty.
i also returned my mobo/processor, they were acting strange....

·
Registered
378 Posts
if your ATA cable is older it'll recognize it as a slower speed.

I'm not sure, but are you trying to merge two partitions? I know there are programs that can do this safely, but the WinXP installation certainly can't. All it does is erase/create partitions and then format them with NTFS. So if you wanted to merge the two you'll need something else to do it first. I think Norton partition magic can do this, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts