Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently had a run-in with a little problem concerning my overclock. My PC won't boot cold with it.

Yeah, I know, weird.

This is how it goes(a little too lazy to upload a CPU-Z shot):

I'm OC'd to 3.10ghz from 1.8 on my E6300

Bus - 444mhz
Rated FSB - 1776.0
Multiplier - X7

My RAM's manufacturer is Gskill and the RAM is set and advertised to be PC210000. As it would turn out, the RAM won't cold-boot with the PC anywhere near 1000mhz, as far as it's concerned it normally won't unless it's just a tad over 800.

The bios reads it as running at 888mhz but I'm a tad concerned. If my RAM is advertised as 1000mhz I should be able to take my bus speed to 500 but I can't. I'm running cold, 38c idle and 57-58c under full load. I just don't get it.

So why can't I boot cold without my bios resetting? I've been thinking that it might not even be the RAM, it might by my PSU not hitting the CPU or RAM with enough juice in the morning(considering it's going from nothing to full speed).

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,886 Posts
I've recently had a run-in with a little problem concerning my overclock. My PC won't boot cold with it.

Yeah, I know, weird.

This is how it goes(a little too lazy to upload a CPU-Z shot):

I'm OC'd to 3.10ghz from 1.8 on my E6300

Bus - 444mhz
Rated FSB - 1776.0
Multiplier - X7

My RAM's manufacturer is Gskill and the RAM is set and advertised to be PC210000. As it would turn out, the RAM won't cold-boot with the PC anywhere near 1000mhz, as far as it's concerned it normally won't unless it's just a tad over 800.

The bios reads it as running at 888mhz but I'm a tad concerned. If my RAM is advertised as 1000mhz I should be able to take my bus speed to 500 but I can't. I'm running cold, 38c idle and 57-58c under full load. I just don't get it.

So why can't I boot cold without my bios resetting? I've been thinking that it might not even be the RAM, it might by my PSU not hitting the CPU or RAM with enough juice in the morning(considering it's going from nothing to full speed).
Is your bios configured right?

Is the vram what is printed on the sticks and are the memory straps set up good?

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your bios configured right?

Is the vram what is printed on the sticks and are the memory straps set up good?
A perfect question, although I honestly don't know if any OC is configured right. I'd like to think it is.

I bumped the NB to 1.4v and the RAM to almost a solid 2.0v.
Straps are set at 444mhz, 5-5-5-15 which is what it's rated for.

It seems to run fine after the first boot, I just wish I didn't have to do any of this and it makes me worried. I also do realize that there's no way to test it because it only happens during my first initial start-up of the day. The PC stays fine otherwise.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Just because RAM is rated for something, it doesn't mean your motherboard or CPU FSB will cooperate. Have you tried using a non 1:1 divide where the RAM runs at 1000MHz while the CPU and motherboard are somewhere lower where you know they work to make sure the RAM won't run that high? If I remember right, the E2x00, E4x00, and lower E6x00 series CPUs had a good chance of hitting a FSB wall before anything else.

Also, some manufacturers (or sometimes only with some models) will advertise certain timings, and then advertise the maximum speed, but do not advertise that they do those timings at the maximum speed. That's really borderline false advertising in my opinion, but make sure your RAM is rated for 5-5-5-15 at 1000MHz.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just because RAM is rated for something, it doesn't mean your motherboard or CPU FSB will cooperate. Have you tried using a non 1:1 divide where the RAM runs at 1000MHz while the CPU and motherboard are somewhere lower where you know they work to make sure the RAM won't run that high? If I remember right, the E2x00, E4x00, and lower E6x00 series CPUs had a good chance of hitting a FSB wall before anything else.

Also, some manufacturers (or sometimes only with some models) will advertise certain timings, and then advertise the maximum speed, but do not advertise that they do those timings at the maximum speed. That's really borderline false advertising in my opinion, but make sure your RAM is rated for 5-5-5-15 at 1000MHz.
I think I figured just a bit of it out. For the longest time I've left my northbridge and fsb at stock settings. I just altered them a little higher, things seem to be running well. I still don't know how well it will cold boot without waiting hours for it to cool down. Currently the ram is running at 1000mhz stable because I pushed the OC to 3.5ghz out of how well it ran on CPU stability test and the Crysis Benchmark.

I need to get a probe and check the NB temp though before I'm sold on this setting.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PC came on like a champ! I've been gone for three hours, a good cold boot! Tomorrow morning will be the test though. I'm just tired of my settings going to crap.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
1. You have a crappy mobo
2. One of your ram (or both) stick is dying.
3. Incorrect bios (ram) setting. SET STRAP TO AUTO!

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1. You have a crappy mobo
2. One of your ram (or both) stick is dying.
3. Incorrect bios (ram) setting. SET STRAP TO AUTO!
Wrong crap is wrong! I'm running it right now. I did a bios update and the strapping has been set to auto. Runs like butter on hot toast!

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
4. You've reached a fsb wall on the cpu that could explain why you couldn't reach DDR2 1000 speed.

Here's an advice from me: Set your clock back to 266MHz (1.86GHz) and then set your ram divider or overclock your ram to 1000.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of the overclock? oO
It's stable right now, if it wasn't after 3 hours of Crysis Editor then there's something wrong with the laws of physics.

(sorry for bump, I found it relevant)

I found the problem exactly where it was.

My Gigabyte board is labled - GA-P35-DS3L

All over the net some users have had problems with the board but only in certain circumstances. It seems as though PCs only fail to boot using the board only in these conditions.

OC's over 3.0ghz
auto fan being enabled
old bios'
and just bad boards.

There's also something else interesting. The only people getting these issues are overclockers, it's a security feature on the board. Gigabyte boards are secure, and in this case too secure to run the boards this way. In thinking there are problems when there really are none present, the boards glitch and cause the bios to reset via system reboots. The only real way around it is to force the boards to boot without error checking however it's a stupid-ass idea to even consider doing this because if ever some other horrible problem happened in your PC, you'd never know about it before it already blew out or caused major damage.

So I'm stuck until they either get it fixed or update the newest beta bios.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts