Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have being thinking about this for a while so, i think since you guy are makihng a emulor for the ps2 you can also code a ps2 game, if that is the case, what if lets's suppose i have the same knowldge as program as you guys and out of the nothing i decide to make a ps2 game, could i make one and test on the PCSX2 (when it is ready, done)? It is just a idea that i had, not that i want to spent some years try to make a game. Because i heard of people making SNES and GBA ( i played one) and worked on the emulator, since i don't have their dev-kits.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm not a dev but I'll talk a stab at answering your question. Theoretically it would be possible to use pcsx2 for development of a ps2 game once it reaches a certain point. In fact, with the approach the pcsx2 team is taking there is no reason what so ever that you wouldn't be able to do this.

The dev team's primary concern is compatibility. This means that once maximum compatiblity is reached if you try to run a piece of code that has an error in it then the ps2 hardware and pcsx2 should both generate and return the same error code. This is great because it means you can thoroughly test your game before burning it to media, thus saving you money and time.

Once you're able to run your game in pcsx2 without having any errors and your game is able to maintain a steady 30+ fps then you should be ready for hardware testing. Bare in mind however that since the dev team's primary concern is compatibility that more work is done to make sure that your code is handled appropriately. Because of this speed may not be that great and it may be hard to achieve that 30fps.

If anyone else has anything else to add please do, and it would be awesome to hear the devs view on this subject.

Ninjis

edit: awe chaos beat me to the first reply =P

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.