Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello World,
I'm asking Myself how Lewpy works on a good Voodoo, I mean, i have never tried his plugin 'cause i'm runing a Geforce on A Duron [email protected][O.C.]
Is it better than Pete Ogl plugin???

If it is, is it possible to put together Geforce[on the AGP slot] and Glide acceleration 3DfX[on a PCI slot],
If someone have such a config, is it bug free???

[I know this question belong to Hardware Forum, 'scuse me]

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
er, i don t recommend to use 2 graphics card. it may cause irq problems or even crashes.
ALso, the geforce doesn t support glide, and neither does the voodoo w/ ogl (still a bit, but badly)

so, i think u should stick w/ pete s OGL plugin.
It runs fairly well, doesn t it?

Bye

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Pete s OGL has the most accurate blending at the moment (if it isn t perfect heh...), 32 bits color depth supported (the voodoo users can t use more than 16 bits color depth)
and since the geforce is mluch more powerfull than a voodoo (okok
some voodoos are more powerful than the geforce256, like the voodoo 5 5500....at least i think.)
I think u better have a geforce.

Lucky guy ;)

Bye

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank Guy, You seem more smart that another guy i meet on the
"FF9 pal version" thread :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
I thought everyone liked Pete's Tales! :) You must have skipped passed this one

Pete has done nearly what you are after doing! having a GeForce DDR and a Voodoo 3 working in harmony :)
Don't see what the problem would be using a GF2 AGP and a V5 PCI! :)

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
I heard lewpy himself uses a voodoo 5 5500 pci and is probably getting himself a geforce card too.... both running on his computer..... I think you should be able to run two different video cards...... I use to run a voodoo 3 and trident mvp blade without any problems.... ran two monitors at once too...... The voodoo 5 does have 32 bit color..... But older voodoo cards don't....... I have a voodoo 5 5500 agp and lewpys glide pluggin looks the best out of all the pluggins...... YOu can check the screenshots section for some shots of a voodoo 5 5500 in action and then compare those to your geforce...... Look at the GT2 shots using a voodoo 5 5500 and make your own decision as to which looks better to you.... Personally, like I said, I think lewpys glide pluggin running on a voodoo 5 5500 with 4xFSAA looks better than the other pluggins.....

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Originally posted by Rargh
Pete s OGL has the most accurate blending at the moment (if it isn t perfect heh...), 32 bits color depth supported (the voodoo users can t use more than 16 bits color depth)
and since the geforce is mluch more powerfull than a voodoo (okok
some voodoos are more powerful than the geforce256, like the voodoo 5 5500....at least i think.)
Just a couple of points :)
1) The Voodoo4/5 cards support 32bit, and I automatically use it in my plugin. No tick box, it is on if available.
2) Voodoo4/5 were the only cards that could do true subtractive alpha-blending, but Pete has found an OpenGL extension that the nVidia cards support which enables it for them too (nice touch Pete :)
3) If only 3dfx had fixed the damned bug in their Glide driver for Voodoo4/5 before they disappeared, then the Voodoo4/5 cards would have had perfect colour rendering. Unfortunately, they didn't, so you have the old choices of: Dim, Bright, & Multipass :(
4) Yes, it is possible to run two cards together in the system. The only issue is with OpenGL, as OpenGL will revert to software rendering if multi-monitors are enabled :( To get hardware OpenGL support, you must disable your secondary monitor. With Glide, you must be careful that either a) you use cards that can use the same Glide3x.dll file (Voodoo3 & Voodoo4/5 seem to work fine with each others drivers, although I have been told there is subtle compilation differences between the two), or b) you swap the Glide files around to use the different cards.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've tried Lewpy's newest plugin with a Voodoo 5500 and a Voodoo 3 3500 and Voodoo 3 3000. All AGP. Using glide2x.dll gives kinda bad results with both the older voodoo cards. I found that most of the options need to be at their lowest settings, in order to get the video looking right.....
I guess the plugin was really written with the
glide3x.dll in mind....
As for pete on a geforce, as soon as someone wants
to give me one i'll test it!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
>3) If only 3dfx had fixed the damned bug in their Glide driver for Voodoo4/5 before they disappeared, then the Voodoo4/5 cards would have had perfect colour rendering. Unfortunately, they didn't, so you have the old choices of: Dim, Bright, & Multipass

What about all those unofficial drivers (at voodoofiles.com)? Does any of them have the bug fixed?

Oh, and what about Voodoo3? Does it have the bug too? i.e. can you do away that option for Voodoo 3 users?

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Originally posted by 1up
I've tried Lewpy's newest plugin with a Voodoo 5500 and a Voodoo 3 3500 and Voodoo 3 3000. All AGP. Using glide2x.dll gives kinda bad results with both the older voodoo cards. I found that most of the options need to be at their lowest settings, in order to get the video looking right.....
I guess the plugin was really written with the
glide3x.dll in mind....
As for pete on a geforce, as soon as someone wants
to give me one i'll test it!
Erm, my plugin never uses GLIDE2X.DLL. It only uses GLIDE3X.DLL. There is no way to change it over. Even if you were to re-name GLIDE2X.DLL to GLIDE3X.DLL, the DLL would not have the correct exports and would not load correctly in to the plugin.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Originally posted by takwu
What about all those unofficial drivers (at voodoofiles.com)? Does any of them have the bug fixed?
I presume you are refering to the x3dfx driver sets? I tested these, and the bug seemed to still be there. I even emailed them, but didn't get a reply.
Oh, and what about Voodoo3? Does it have the bug too? i.e. can you do away that option for Voodoo 3 users?
No. The feature I am refering to was introduced with the VSA-100 chip, in the same way they introduced negative alpha-blending. So only Voodoo4/5 cards have the ability. The irony is it seems to work correctly under D3D, it's just broken under Glide3 (a driver bug) :(

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Pretty normal: 3dfx -argh- had the best fsaa technology.
Even the gforces can t match the FSAA quality of voodoo cards .
It rules again heh.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts