Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
PC game modder
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got myself a budget of $450AUS and found this to sit nicely in my price range!

MSI GTX285 1G SuperPipe OC

How do people this card will fair in comparison to my existing 9800GTX which won't be kept?

Or should I just go for the other MSI one that is $20 cheaper?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
I can't see your link because it appears CrowdGather is using redirectingat.com to generate extra cash from external links to places like Newegg and the like (and I'm not about to manually copy it).

I was under the impression that the GTX285 is basically obsolete because of the GTX275 (ala, the release of the 8800GT made the entire rest of the lineup obsolete, and sure the 8800GTX was still stronger like the GTX285 is than the GTX275, but at many times the price). Just because you can afford it doesn't mean it's wise to waste it. Get about the same for much less, and save the rest, either for other upgrades, other stuff outside your PC, or your own pocket.

To answer your question, the GTX285 would be a nice bit faster than your current card, but read benchmarks, especially of games you play, to get an idea.

Edit: Okay, now the link works, but the redirectingat.com server was freezing it a minute ago. I understand this was done for revenue, but CrowdGather has just added another step to drive away it's users, the very ones making that revenue by making those links.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I wouldn't even upgrade at this point.The 9800GTX can still play almost all games out at high resolutions with all settings at the max, then it would be very very close to max in the few games that it can't do it. And with the next generation of cards from ATI and Nvidia coming around the corner. The new ATI DX11 cards should be out in October, and Nvidia will probably make a surprise out of nowhere announcement to stay competitive. So then, of course there would be lots of price drops on the current cards, and newer stronger cards out at your price point.

But if you MUST get a new card, then I'd recommend a factory overclocked 4890.

Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR PCS+ AX4890 1GBD5-PPH Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

This should be the strongest single card out, and if you overclock the core to 1000MHz, then you should get an even better performance improvement, but at least with this you are guarenteed with a 950MHz core which is very good. That factory overclock makes it about as strong if not stronger than some of the 300-400 and more dollar cards out.

And proof to back up what I'm saying.

AnandTech: Overclocking Extravaganza: Radeon HD 4890 To The Max

An overclocked 4890, even the ones that weren't near the max overclock has beaten the GTX 285. In the end, the 4890 won in all benchmarks except for 2.

Now since you are australian, you can't buy from newegg, but I bet that you could find a 4890 on that site, for probably 100 dollars or more cheaper than the GTX 285. The 4890 is also known to be very very easy to overclock as well.

·
PC game modder
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Resident Evil 5 running at 1920x1200 will be the most hungry for a good while.

I get an average frame rate 50fps in the benching tool with max everything except AA which is at NONE.

My goal is to get at least a steady 60fps with 8xAA minimum! I know for sure this will be achieved with a GTX285 but not sure how the others would perform at this task!

If I can be sure I will get the same rates from another card then I will happily switch to a cheaper card!

I wouldn't even upgrade at this point.The 9800GTX can still play almost all games out at high resolutions with all settings at the max, then it would be very very close to max in the few games that it can't do it. And with the next generation of cards from ATI and Nvidia coming around the corner. The new ATI DX11 cards should be out in October, and Nvidia will probably make a surprise out of nowhere announcement to stay competitive. So then, of course there would be lots of price drops on the current cards, and newer stronger cards out at your price point.

But if you MUST get a new card, then I'd recommend a factory overclocked 4890.

Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR PCS+ AX4890 1GBD5-PPH Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

This should be the strongest single card out, and if you overclock the core to 1000MHz, then you should get an even better performance improvement, but at least with this you are guarenteed with a 950MHz core which is very good. That factory overclock makes it about as strong if not stronger than some of the 300 and more dollar cards out.

And proof to back up what I'm saying.

AnandTech: Overclocking Extravaganza: Radeon HD 4890 To The Max

An overclocked 4890, even the ones that weren't near the max overclock has beaten the GTX 285. In the end, the 4890 won in all benchmarks except for 2.

Now since you are australian, you can't buy from newegg, but I bet that you could find a 4890 on that site, for probably 100 dollars or more cheaper than the GTX 285. The 4890 is also known to be very very easy to overclock as well.
Last I heard the ATI drivers had problems with emulation?
Not sure its been corrected though as I have not heard about it for a long time now!

Also, my options are to upgrade it now or try and upgrade it along with my cpu, m/b and ram July next year!

By that time my gpu will be a sour point and I wish to solve this now with an option that is likely to carry me til I can do a GPU upgrade in 2 YEARS!

·
No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
I seriously considered getting the GTX285 but with the card's price and nVidia's GTX3xx series on the horizon, I decided to go with a $100USD Radeon 4850. Partly due to morbid curiosity with the emulator issues and mostly the other aforementioned reasons. It's a great card thus far.

I've been putting my new system through its paces with stability testing and such and lately I've been playing GTA4 at 1900x1200 with framerates hovering around 50fps. It's definitely a great card considering its price/performance ratio.

Personally, I would hold on to the 9800GTX at least until GTX3xx shows up. At least then we can all get some reviews in and if anything else, the older series will experience a significant price drop.

·
PC game modder
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
But I don't have the option of waiting as I already said!

Its NOW or July next year!

·
No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
Quite the predicament!

Well, I guess I'd buy the card now and keep it for use in my next build. I guess when Spyhop and Dax wake up and log on they'll give their inputs on the card itself. I recall both saying the upgrade was worth it.

·
PC game modder
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The other issue is if I wait til July next year I will be unable to afford the new m/b, ram and cpu I will be wanting at that point as I will have a 9800GTX that is due for replacing

This also makes it so I need to do it now and think of something that will transfer over nicely to the new build next July!

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
hmmmm.....

if you went with an evga card, you could step up within 90 days to a GT300 (if it releases in that frame)

·
Premium Member
19,572 Posts
I would wait if i would you... i know a year can be long but its probably worth... a better gpu could bring you some more fps but the question is.... is the small speed up worth???? sometimes isn´t and atm Nvidia and ATI are preparing to bring new technology and if am not mistaken even Intel... so i wouldn´t bother to upgrade now but save the money for a later time. i know you said its now or next july but if you choose to spend the money now is gone anyways so i would just save the money somewhere and use it to buy a better one at the end of this year.

Its my opinion tho.

·
PC game modder
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
In a year I can't afford it as well as the other parts!

Its get a gpu now or wait til July '10 to get one and not upgrade the rest of my pc til July '11

If I get a decent gpu now I can get through for 2 years! (The 9800GTX won't last that long) and that is the time frame I am looking to replace it!

Basically every year I alternate!
This year is gpu, next year is cpu, m/b and ram
I can't afford to do it any other way!

i know you said its now or next july but if you choose to spend the money now is gone anyways so i would just save the money somewhere and use it to buy a better one at the end of this year.

Its my opinion tho.
Sadly though I suck at saving! If I don't now I will spend the dollars on Wii crap instead and be left with tougher upgrade options in the future!

Who knows I may come into money again before 2 years to upgrade the gpu again! But for now I see little option but to go for something now whilst I have the money spare (Also something that does not happen often)

·
Banned
35,081 Posts

·
PC game modder
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Banned
35,081 Posts

·
PC game modder
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My 9800GTX is also a MSI factory OC card!

Looking at your link now (I do know of the store here)

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
a fk it, apparently the step up program don't exist here.

bastards

get the MSI if thats what you want :D, they are all based on nvidia;s reference pcb and heatsink design now anyway, so the overclock shouldn't matter much for stress.

·
PC game modder
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the MSI 9800GTX has been fine but its is only recent I have began to really push it!

Also I noticed that the prices there at MegaBuy are massive ($200 more for a 285GTX then Umart)

I think my best bet is to stick with my original plan and get a 285GTX and then transfer it over when I upgrade to i7 next year!

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
or i9 :p

that evga card itself is higher priced.. not sure why.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Resident Evil 5 running at 1920x1200 will be the most hungry for a good while.

I get an average frame rate 50fps in the benching tool with max everything except AA which is at NONE.

My goal is to get at least a steady 60fps with 8xAA minimum! I know for sure this will be achieved with a GTX285 but not sure how the others would perform at this task!

If I can be sure I will get the same rates from another card then I will happily switch to a cheaper card!

Last I heard the ATI drivers had problems with emulation?
Not sure its been corrected though as I have not heard about it for a long time now!

Also, my options are to upgrade it now or try and upgrade it along with my cpu, m/b and ram July next year!

By that time my gpu will be a sour point and I wish to solve this now with an option that is likely to carry me til I can do a GPU upgrade in 2 YEARS!
The emulation problem has been fixed.(I think you are talking abouit PCSX2 right?. I run many different emulators with my 4850, and I have no problems. The issues have been greatly overblown.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
yeah, ATI just has many other issues that make it suck ass compared to nvidia :p

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.