Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
8+ Years
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow...haven't logged for a while.
Long story short, built a rig with spare parts (e1200 @ 3ghz), upgraded to e7200 @ 3.4ghz, and upgraded again.
While upgrading the CPU, I upgraded the video card (4350 previously), and the psu (logisys 450w).
Now for the pictures.
Sorry for the blurry shots.
Some unknown brand case that I was using.

The upgrade parts :D

My E7200 and the new Q9550

4350 and the 4870

New PSU

Final product

Just got my scythe kaze master ace that I'll be installing after work. :D
Also need to re-do the cable management.

·
8+ Years
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got the part today. Dropped my cpu temp by 5c on full load.

·
8+ Years
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice build! :)

Congrats and its nice and all but, shouldn't this be posted in this thread: http://forums.ngemu.com/general-pictures-videos/45857-pics-your-l33t-systems-79.html :p
Ooops...didn't even see that thread. :p

I thought you were getting a Phenom II 940.
I was, until I had some spare parts which was all intel. I actually just wanted to see how intel cpu's would overclock and I was very impressed and went ahead with the intel. :lol:

·
8+ Years
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's an understatement of "little upgrade" :laugh:
Very nice system you build there, congrats. :thumb:
It is a little upgrade. Going with the i7 would of been a big upgrade. :D

·
8+ Years
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol HD4870 CrossFire is a big upgrade IMO
From a 4350? I guess you can call it a big upgrade lol. I was really close to getting a 4890 until I heard the 5800's are coming out.
Maybe I'll do a i7 build very soon. :D

·
8+ Years
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
From a 4350? I guess you can call it a big upgrade lol. I was really close to getting a 4890 until I heard the 5800's are coming out.
Maybe I'll do a i7 build very soon. :D
So you'll get a new card soon again? oO I'd definitely wait for nVidia to bring their cards to the table. I have a single 4870 and have yet to find a game that brings it to its knees. (as in, something that I can't tune to a solid framerate)

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Yes, FSB is important, but not majorly (this contradicts the theory that bandwidth is really limited on today's PCs compared to clock speed). With two CPUs at the same frequency, the one with the higher FSB will generally perform faster (or at worst, equal) than the other one.

533MHz RAM is the 1:1 match for 1066MHz FSB CPUs. This means the RAM is rated for 1066MHz FSB, but I'd wager he has it overclocked to keep up with his FSB (or he's not using a 1:1 ratio, which would mean he's losing some performance).

Basically, it doesn't matter if it's 533MHz RAM or 800MHz RAM, or beyond, unless it's too slow to do a 1:1 ratio. That's the key, in my opinion. If it can do 1:1, rather than worrying about frequency, focus on timings (those themselves don't have large percentage increase associated with them either). Sure, faster RAM can do over a 1:1 ratio, but the gains aren't really noticeable (synthetic benchmarks will show you have, say, twice the performance, when you probably only get lower single digit percentage increases). I think I've heard that sometimes it can even be a bit worse (supposedly the Core 2 likes a 1:1 ratio best).

RAM speed isn't overtly important, unless it is too slow. RAM amount, on the other hand, is what matters. This is why I've gotten the cheap, decent sets of high amounts of RAM, hence I opted for what I currently have (5-5-5-12 800MHz) over some 4-4-4-12 1066MHz RAM that would have (at the time) cost about twice as much for single digit percentage differences.

·
8+ Years
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice! Are you gonna post some Vantage scores?
I don't have vantage lol. Purchasing new fans very soon and will be oc'ing to 4ghz. Maybe I'll get the vantage and post the scores when I hit 4ghz. :D

So you'll get a new card soon again? oO I'd definitely wait for nVidia to bring their cards to the table. I have a single 4870 and have yet to find a game that brings it to its knees. (as in, something that I can't tune to a solid framerate)
Nope. Will be building a whole new system probably next year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.