Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello nocash,

I'm having a problem with memory card set up. I just beat Resident evil 2 Claire's disc and then saved the game for Leon's disc. But now i have be on Leon's disc to load the save. The save is in the Claire's disc memory card and i cant just switch the iso like i did for parasite eve. How can i fix this?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Shendo,

Yes i know can use an external program to do that but i'm looking to see if there is a way to do it within the no$psx emulator itself.
What want is to know how to get all the saves in one memory card like they are on the actual psone on this emulator. Thanks for the info though.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Normally, if the CDROM-images have names like this:
- My Game (Disc 1)
- My Game (Disc 2)
then no$psx would automatically use "My Game" shared as memory card filename for both discs.

Sharing a single memory card for ALL games (as done in older no$psx versions) won't work too well since PSX memory cards are restricted to 15 "blocks" and can hold max 15 files. On real hardware you'll either need to delete old files, or swap around different memory cards manually. So automatically picking memory cards per cdrom-image should be best and most comfortable solution.

But okay, if you have CDROM images named something like
- My Game (Claire's Disc)
- My Game (Leon's Disc)
then that automatic filename sharing won't work.

Easiest solution would be actually renaming (or copying) the memory card file to match the filename of the second CDROM image.

Another simple solution would be saving the game position on the second memory card (the second memory card is always shared for all CDROM images, unlike the first memory card which is stored in different files for different CDROM images).

If you want to transfer files from one memory card to another without external tools and without renaming memory cards via operating system: You can do that same as on real PSX:
- Start the emulator without CDROM loaded (so the bios bootmenu will appear)
- Insert the first CDROM with Autostart disabled in the CDROM loading screen (this will load the corresponding memory card file alongsides)
- Use the BIOS GUI functions to copy your file from slot 1 (per-game memory-card) to slot 2 (global memory card)
- Insert the second CDROM also with Autostart disabled, and if desired, copy the file back from slot 2 to slot 1 (memory card for second cdrom image).

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Nocash,

So the first memory card is always on slot 1 is name of the game you played but, slot 2 seems to act like a shared memory card _01_2_A_.mcd.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Yes, that's intended. Normally one unique memory card per game should be enough, and more unique cards per game would be wasting memory. When using unique non-shared cards, the worst case would be 96 memory cards (=12Mbyte) per game (when using the 12-player mode with 8 memory cards per console; ie. with multitap and 4 memory cards per slot).
Only problem might be if you have several games that require more than one memory card, then the shared card in slot 2 might run out of memory for all games. Is that causing problems, and are there many such games?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Nocash,

No i don't think it's causing a problem. I wanted to make sure thats the way it was suppose to work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts