Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And yeah, I have this 100% LEGALLY. My friend has a MSDN account and we play with a lot of this stuff. I've also thuroughly read the EULA, and it says nothing about not being able to post some screenshots. If I'm missing something, please feel free to do what you have to. :)

This OS really isn't all that different from XP. Really looks like a few new features, and a different looking theme. Haven't toyed around with it too much, but it's dual botting with Windows XP and working great.

Only a few problems I've found so far, mainly drivers. It's not easy to get your video drivers working with this, but some things are apparently compatable with Windows XP drivers. Just took a few installation tries before it gave up and let me install 'em, hehe. Sound drivers were relatively easy to install, just can't install some of the software for my soundcard. Sound works, so that's a plus. I'm stuck with DirectX 9.0b (which is what comes with it). Windows beta update thing isn't setup yet. This OS isn't offically getting released 'till 2006, so I can see why they don't have that up yet. I've got 5 months evaluation on this thing, so I've got plenty of time to play with it, and hope what windows update gets up soon. Don't have most of the stuff in my computer working in Longhorn yet, due, obviously, to no drivers, heh heh.

Okay, haven't had it long, but I've tested a few things.

1: All games I've tested seem to work. Quake III is the only game I've tested with problems. Gamma is just too low, and you can't adjust it through the gamma setting in the game, but playing it works 100%. GTA: VC, Quake III, Quake II and I'll test more later.
2: Also tested some emulation. ePSXe 152 works great, no problems. PJ64 also works.

Here's a few misc screens I've taken of it so far. You can see some differences. You can see in my desktop screenshot that there's a bug with that, though. Shows the Half-Life 2 background I put on it, with the default Longhorn background up at the top of the screen. Anything else I should be trying with this thing that you can think of? Compatability wise? Hmmm...
- Modem

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
First longhorn isnt a beta, its a build ;) Longhorn betas will be a long long time from now. Secondly if you do not subscribe to MSDN yourself then it technically isnt legal. Since there is no NDA restricting screenshots etc, I dont see a problem with screenshots atm.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Windows Update for Longhorn won't be activated until it's out, so, don't expect any update :p You'll have to get each new builds through that MSDN account.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, it tries to get to a beta windows update site, which likely won't get released 'till the offical Beta builds start coming out not long before the offical release.. And whoops, it's a "build" then, heh heh.
Second, my uncle works at microsoft, so if I really wanted to get a MSDN account, I could. I also do some beta work for microsoft. Games, programs and such, and get stuff from them anyway. Since I only live about a half hour from them.
Third: I'm not planning on giving my cd or program away or anything like that. This is my copy, that we got from microsoft, for 5 months. My friend knows about legal issues, and he would not give me this if he thought it be a legal issue. It's not like I won't get a free copy from microsoft once it's offically released anyway. The upsides to beta testing. :)
I'm not trying to test this thing for any bad reasons. I want to see what it looks like, and I legally activated it, so my copy is offically mine for the next 5 months.
- Modem

1 - 4 of 4 Posts