Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that upgrading memory will improve pc performance. if i were to install a 256 mb stick of memory would that make a noticeable difference over my current configuration?also is it ok to have 2 different brands of memory? i dunno what my 64mb stick brand is but the 256 i want is from crucial.

My cpus config is as follows
AMD K6-2 ~500mhz
56 MB 100 mhz SDRAM
Trident Blade 3D MVP 4 8MB Shared
Windows 98SE

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
Yes it would make a great improvement and you should be able to run the other 64 with it..

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If he has the slots for it (which he probably does) and it also depends upon the quality of the 64 meg stick. If the timing is different for it and it can't handle the timing of the 256 then his system may not boot or will become unstable. But it is worth trying out to find out though, and you won't do any harm to your system.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Well I'm the ultimate mix and matcher. This machine has 320 mb (1x 256 and 2x 32) and the other has 160 (2x 64 and 2x 16 simms) so I can pretty much say that you should have too many problems. Even if you 64mb chip doesn't work with it you can get ram so cheaply nowadays that another 256 chip wouldn't break the bank.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my cpu has 2 slots and can hold 512mb max. and the brand of ram im getting is crucial which is highly recommeded for my system (its a compaq 7462 and im hoping i can improve it by adding a a** load of ram to it.)btw thx everyone for your input

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
It make a huge difference upgrading from 32, 64, or 128 megs of ram.. But when you start upgrading from 256 megs to 768 megs.. The difference is discernable.. I did notice Quake3 runs a little better when I upgraded from 256 megs to 768 megs though..:) YOu better make sure your mobo supports the type of ram you are buying too.. There is PC100 which mostly all motherboards support and PC133.. Has anyone tried running PC133 on a mobo which only supports PC100? Does it work? I haven't tried it myself..

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have a gig of ram. Its nice.

If your running windows 95 or 98 then don't get more than 512 because it these flavors of windows do not like over 512 megs of ram.

and fivefeet8. pc133 will work in any board that supports dimms. it will just run at 100mhz if that what your fsb is set to.

a few things people mess up. ecc and non ecc will not work together. then there are a few issues with double sided dimms. mostly problems with old ram and the early 256 and 512 meg dimms.

some ddr boards need registered ram if you want to run the max amount of ram.

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
That's weird.. I have 768 megs of pc150 sdr ram and it workd correctly in win98se.. It shows up correctly in my computer properties too.. Sometimes Ram doesn't run at the same speed your FSB is running at.. My ram is running at 133 mhz while my FSB is running at 100 mhz ddr to 200 mhz..

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok well i got another question, but this one's about networking.
I read in a article that you can network any 2cpus without using a hub/router.anyway if thats true, and i want both cpu on one internet connection, do i have to have some type of software like wingate?also if they can share one account how does the 2nd cpu (the one not using a modem) use the internet?

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Yes that is correct. Basically there is a couple of methods of doing this in order of expense (cheapest first):

1) Buy 2 network cards and a crossover cable.

2)Buy 2 phone ethernet cards and use your home phone wiring (yes you can still access the net whilst the network is going as it uses a different carrier)

3)Buy 2 wireless networking cards

Most likely you'll want to go for option 1) however if the computers are over a certain distance apart (can't remember exact figure) this doesn't work. If this is the case and both machines are near a phone socket option 2 is the best bet. Last resort would be the wirless one.

In order to share an internet connection you'll need an ics program. If you have Win ME/2K/XP then you already have one built into the OS. If you have Win 98 then you'll have to get wingate. That said it costs $70 so it might be more sensible to upgrade the OS instead.

Yes they both use the same isp account. It works by having one machine (the one with the modem) act as a server for the other machine. Putting it more simply the second machine treats the first one as if it is an isp.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had that first option here and it done fine... (now i have more than 2 computers so i cant have a cross over cable, but a hub)...

About the distance, you can make a cable up to 100 meters... so distance shouldnt be a matter... more than that you will have to put some repeater....

My config some time ago was Windows 98 + Syacess from Sybergen... its a quite easy setup, you just choose the connection you want to use, turn on the built-in dhcp server and it does most of the job for you. Being a program that uses NAT instead of Proxying u shouldnt need to configure the "client" computer at all.

[]s

Tenchi Muyou

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Betamax: In order to share an internet connection you'll need an ics program Well wouldnt the ics program in win98se work? i found it under the internet tools in the add/remove programs section

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yeah, I have 640 megs of RAM, and it made a huge difference in windows 98 when I added a 512 meg piece to my existing 128megs, its nice, and RAM is so cheap today.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats good..

now i aint gonna have to dish out 70 bucks when i get new cpu..lol well i cant test the ics program since i dont have a nic yet, but i think it will work ok.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you are considering sharing an ADSL conection go for a switching hub ENCORE 908+ is really cheap and it is a kicking ass mini-switch, read the product specs in www.encore-usa.com and you will see. Anyway it gives the flexibility of mking a "party" with 5 more computers :) when you want to.
But if the case is a modem sahring try Wingate or the Win98SE like Shiori said.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts