Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I'm still pretty new to this hole Playstation emulation scene, but I've started playing good old' classic RPGs, and I figured I'd see what my PC can do to enhance that experience.

1. I notice I get slow downs in some games even when my FPS are at a solid 60 (59.9 to be exact). I imagine this is because the emulator is using the PS's hardware specs... so these are unavoidable, right?

2. There are some areas were in a some games were my actual FPS dip into the 20-40s and I'm not exactly sure why. Cards temps are incredibly low (35s), and I don't see anything on the screen that would justify such a drop. Perhaps my settings are not optimal... (example, the intro scene battle scene in Xenogears)

3. There seems to be a default set of keys that ePSXe uses for misc. things (FPS display, screenshots, save states, etc) I've searched the installed directory, but I can't seem to find a list of these keys... Could anyone tell me what these keys are, or direct me to where I can find out?

4. How do I enable Full Vram?

My PC Specs : P4 @ 3.2GHZ, ATI x800xl, 1.00GB of Ram
My Video Settings :
Plugin: Pete's D3D Driver 1.1.76
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: Sapphire RADEON X800XL

Resolution/Color:
- 800x600 Fullscreen - [32 Bit]

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 6
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 3
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Framebuffer access: 3
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: off
- Advanced blending: hardware

Misc:
- Scanlines: off [0]
- Unfiltered FB: on
- Dithering: on
- Screen smoothing: on
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: on [00004800]

(EDIT - I also leave my screen resolution at 800x600 because I run ePSXe on TV-OUT, since PS textures look damn ungly without a TVs blurr effect)

· Registered
654 Posts
The epsxe_en.txt file in the docs folder has a list of keys. BTW, some of the keys you want are associated with the GPU plugin rather than the emulator itself - keys like 9 to uncap framerate or DEL to display GPU stats.

As for slowdowns, some of these (ones where the FPS stays at 60) are due to timing problems with ePSXe 1.6.0. FF7 and WipEout 1 notably have these slowdowns.

Other pauses might be due to your playing from the original CDs - unlike Playstation CD-ROM drives, PC CD-ROM drives stop spinning after they've been idle a couple of seconds. These can be avoided by playing from an ISO with Mooby2 or a virtual CD program, or by using Nero DriveSpeed to prevent the drive from spinning down.

As for your framerate drops, I'm not sure. I have similar specs and don't see that slowdown in Xenogears. You could try my config and see if that helps.

Dan

P.S. I use the sssPSX emulator instead of ePSXe for FF7 and WipEout 1

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
dbhankins said:
The epsxe_en.txt file in the docs folder has a list of keys. BTW, some of the keys you want are associated with the GPU plugin rather than the emulator itself - keys like 9 to uncap framerate or DEL to display GPU stats.

As for slowdowns, some of these (ones where the FPS stays at 60) are due to timing problems with ePSXe 1.6.0. FF7 and WipEout 1 notably have these slowdowns.

Other pauses might be due to your playing from the original CDs - unlike Playstation CD-ROM drives, PC CD-ROM drives stop spinning after they've been idle a couple of seconds. These can be avoided by playing from an ISO with Mooby2 or a virtual CD program, or by using Nero DriveSpeed to prevent the drive from spinning down.

As for your framerate drops, I'm not sure. I have similar specs and don't see that slowdown in Xenogears. You could try my config and see if that helps.

Dan

P.S. I use the sssPSX emulator instead of ePSXe for FF7 and WipEout 1

Thank you for the reply.
I'm currently using 1.52 (since 1.6 has problems with Chrono Cross).

I also rip all my ISO (since playing off the CD is a bit buggy).

I also notice you are using the OGL plugin, is that generally better then the D3D plugin?

EDIT - Thanks for posting your config. I've used it, and those slow downs in Xenogears and other games are gone.

Also, what I meant by slowdowns before...

The actual Playstation had slow downs (it didn't always run at a constant FPS). I was asking if these kinds of slow downs are also emulated by ePSXe.

EDIT #2 - Looks like the emulator does indeed "fake" these slow downs in games.

I ran two FPS programs in the background. The GPU plugin FPS told me I was going at a constant 60, while the others told me the real frame rate on PS games, which is 30. And they did dip in certain situations, even though the GPU plugin reported 60.

Also, the OGL2 plugis is giving me crashes in Chrono Cross when I check the status menu... not a big deal really, no real reason to check it.. I'll live.

· Registered
654 Posts
No reason you can't use 1.5.2 for some games and 1.6.0 for others. I haven't used 1.5.2 yet for any of the 60+ PS1 games I own, including Chrono Cross (I use 1.6.0 with good results so far), but I do use two other emulators for games that ePSXe doesn't work well with.

I like the OGL2 plugin better than the D3D or OGL plugins, but I suppose that's a matter of taste. You'll just have to experiment to see what you like. I have the same graphics chipset and almost the same processor as you, BTW.

Another point: If you have more than one or two PS1 games, I strongly recommend you use a frontend program for ePSXe. Such a program will store a separate set of plugins and settings for each game, then start ePSXe with those settings from an icon. I like ePSXeCutor, but some folks swear by Delta.

If you search the PSX emulation forums, you'll find my configs for some of the games where it's tricky to get everything working right, such as Chrono Cross, Driver, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 8, Final Fantasy 9, and Metal Gear Solid.

Dan

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip. I'm only playing one game really... But I see what you mean, games are quiet delicate to the settings/plugins you use.

But, thanks to your tips that game is working rather perfectly right now. :)

I'll stick with this OGL2 plugin, it seems to actually use my GPU.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fireblaster_lyz said:
No. This is the way ePSXe behaves.
I haven't tried changing them to run on low priority though.
Darn. =(

The slow downs aren't really that much of a problem, but yeah, I should be able to run any game at any setting without having them.

I also switched to the latest PSone Bios (101) and manually set the FPS limit to 60... Seemed to help a bit.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dbhankins said:
Some games - particularly FF7 and WipEout 1 - have timing problems with ePSXe. They are better played on sssPSX. Doing so eliminated the slowdowns I was having with those two games.

Dan
I've tried it.
Same thing really.

The slow downs aren't caused by my system, they are caused by the emulator reacting the same way the actual PSX would react under those conditions. Since there is no way to increase the clock frequency that the emulator uses, there is no real solution to this... atleast for now.

Thanks for all the support though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.