Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my endeavors of computer fixing, a laptop just fell into my hands to fix and made me think. My friends eyes lit up when i told him i would sell him my relatively old desktop pc for cheap since all he needs is to play maplestory etc. So how would this trade work out? My desktop for this laptop?

Laptop: Acer Aspire 4520
Acer Aspire 4520 Notebook Technical Specifications | Notebook Drivers
1gb of ram
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57 (512KB L2 cache, 1.9GHz)
14 in. screen and dvd burner.

Desktop:
Pentium D 2.8ghz (stock, overclocked a little higher when installed)
Asrock 4 core dual vsta mobo
2gbs of ram (the max)
160gb of hdd space (he only filled up like 40 on his laptop in few years of havin)
Geforce 6400(?) i forget exactly which i had a 256mb agp card

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
It's probably a GeForce 6200. I know it's a Pentium D, which isn't exactly great, but unless you want to do the swap just to get a laptop, I'd hold onto the desktop myself.

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
If you're not planning on gaming, then yes, its a brilliant trade.

If you're going to be gaming, then its not even worth considering. The graphic cards on 14" laptops are pretty pathetic.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
If you're not planning on gaming, then yes, its a brilliant trade.

If you're going to be gaming, then its not even worth considering. The graphic cards on 14" laptops are pretty pathetic.
Not necessarily. The difference between the two CPUs (if its even that big at all, which I doubt) doesn't come close to compensating for the half amount of RAM that laptop has. 1GB is really low, especially if that thing has Windows Vista on it, or he wants to put Windows 7 on it in the future. His current desktop could be good to go for some decent older gaming and Windows 7 with just a GeForce 7600 card added.

This doesn't even touch the smaller screen size and the fact that it has an onboard GPU (likely stealing some more RAM).

Unless the portability is a required factor, I think the desktop is better.

What was wrong with the last one you had that went bad? If it's only a part or two bad, it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, for the half the ram, the laptop has a max of 2x2gb which would be upgraded to that almost immediatly. Anything less than 2 i will not use. havnt in years.

And yes the Video does steal the ram, with the regular 1gb it utilizes 360 mbish? i wanna say and leaves a little over 700mb for actual ram.

And i have my 19" hd lcd and wireless usb mouse and keyboard i can hook up. basically dock it on my desk on a laptop cooler or somethin. My 5.1 can hook up to a regular headphone jack with built in crossover to make it 5.1

ANd only thing on the laptop that has to be done is a new battery i beileve. And portability would be kind of a cool thing. take too school, a friends house w/e. But not necessarily important. At this point im not playin too many games besides need for speed underground 2. which should play basically the same as my pc now if i upgrade the ram in the laptop. Which i will be installing xp on. (vista currently)

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
I still think that the difference is so little that it's not worth the trouble. The CPU won't be noticeably faster by much. The RAM is less (and you're having to spend money to compensate for that loss). The GPU is weaker. The hard drive is a little smaller (and likely a slower speed). If anything, your desktop is better all around minus the CPU, which doesn't have a big enough difference to even come close to covering for the rest.

By the way, what's wrong with your primary PC? I guess you could always fix that one up, and then trade the old one (the current one in question) for the laptop, and get the laptop, but not worry about this loss since you'll then have a better desktop anyway. It all depends. Straight up, I'd say you're losing on this deal, but if you have a better desktop anyway, then it's worth it.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well. Theres really nothing "wrong" with my desktop. I actually like how fast i can transcode movies only takes like half an hour although my current pc has an e2160 clocked at 2.64ghz. With a radeon 1900 which is on its way out. other than that its the same tho. But i didnt wanna go and lose that cpu much better than the pentium D.

I was probably gonna take an old 775 board kicking around and make another pc from it if i can. i have a geforce 8400 sittin in my moms pc i still gotta swap out.

I also have my main 400gb hdd i can hook up to it by usb (no way im givin that away)

I really just kinda like the idea of the laptop :lol: gettin tired of my pc. had it for a good 4 years now(?) want something new. (was actually in the planning stages of an i7)

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
So, you still didn't answer me. What's wrong with the main PC you used to have? If it's not too far away from being operational, and you could/would get it fixed soon, then yes, it's really an even deal. He gets a better PC, and you get a weaker one, but you already have a better desktop, so you get the laptop.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, my original gaming pc i had there is dead. no brining it back :( The Fatal1ty mobo i had has a fried northbeidge (to my knowledge, board just wont work) I had an old Radeon x1800, that got fried too, well only partially, while working on my pc i put the card in but it got caught on my case somehow and i didnt notice so it was only most of the way in. it didnt like that so the card is screwed. My original 4gb's of ram got cut down as 2 gb is the max for my current mobo and the 6200 was my agp backup from before the x1800. Everything just went sour after a point.

So now that i have a hunk of junk (literally case looks like **** after 4 years) i didnt wanna have to deal with it anymore lol. And the laptop where of lesser performance at the moment i dont really mind. its not that big of a difference.

Upsides like i said were the portability, its good to have on long trips or chillin somewhere. Once the new battery comes in i will test it and see if the need for speed works. If it does and decently i will seriously consider the trade. And since this is my backup im giving away its my last *positively* working parts. out of 5 mobos laying around im not sure many work lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.