Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.) Do I need to purchase a converter to connect a gamepad to my machine, or can I use the keyboard/mouse to play games?

2.) BIOS. I don't need to flash a new BIOS to my mainboard or video card, do I? What I mean is... Will the BIOS I need to run the emulator impact my computer beyond the emulation program itself?

3.) What risks to my computer, if any, do I run the risk of while using ePSXe?

Thanks,
Nehvar

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
1. no, but it's much better.
2. no the bios come in a file format, it has nothing to do with your system bios, but don't ask for the, you have to get them off your own game system. but I will say one word, and that's google.
3. you'll crash the full internet if you do...in other words, none.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
1. you can also use PC gamepads.
2. you're confusing multiple BIOSes. you're going to need to dump your own BIOS from your PS, other than that though, you can leave your videocard/motherboard BIOS alone ('course, it wouldnt hurt to update those)
3. have you ever seen that movie Videodrome? yeah, that's what ePSXe does to you. i wasnt supposed to tell you but...the cat is out of the bag i guess :rolleyes: no but really, if you have a poorly ventilated computer or something like that, ePSXe's high CPU usage could overheat it. but, as long as you have a normal setup, you'll be ok.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
its not really a big problem, only laptop users and users that have a lottttt of dust clogging up their fans really need to worry about it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
1- u can use keyboard. Never heard of using a mouse for any ePSXe games, but then again, I've never checked

Some games just work better with an actual PS controller complete with force feedback tho. Your budget, your preference, your choice.

2- ePSXe requires a specific BIOS to run. It's required, but not supplied due to legal reasons. Just poke around this forum for more info on this

3- Worst case scenario, it crashes your system. Seriously. But that oughtta be VERY RARE however. Average case is it doesn't run some games, so u simply close ePSXe. Best case is the games actually work perfectly.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
you can use a mouse for PSX games like medal of honor or whatever, FPS games...

ePSXe doesnt require a specific bios. just slap any old PSX bios in there ;)

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
ackmondual said:
well not any BIOS. AFAIK, only SCPH1001 and scph7005 will work
nope, that's wrong.

i know that 101, 102, 1001, 7502 work because i have used those or know someone who has used those. the DHTL or whatever they're called (the Net Yaroze) BIOS works as well. any PSX bios should work.

·
Registered
654 Posts
hushypushy said:
you can use a mouse for PSX games like medal of honor or whatever, FPS games...
Unfortunately, ePSXe's pad support only seems to work with mapping the mouse to the left analog stick, which is used in PS1 FPS games for move, not look. For real FPS support it would have to map to the right-hand one.

I have a SmartJoy Frag, so it's not a big issue for me any more (keyboard+mouse -> smartjoyfrag -> usb adapter -> PC), but before I got that I was quite annoyed that mapping the mouse to the right-hand stick didn't work.

Dan

·
Registered
654 Posts
I wish.

None of the PS1 FPS games I have (Delta Force Urban Warfare, Medal of Honor, Medal of Honor Underground) allow you to switch the functions of the left and right sticks.

The MoH games allow you to change what functions are assigned to the sticks (i.e. move/turn on one stick, strafe/vertical-look on the other), but not look on the left and move on the right.

Dan

·
Registered
654 Posts
In the context of mouse support for FPS games, the only reason I brought up ePSXe's non-open-sourceness is that its pad support is built-in.

If, like other emulators, PCSX uses PS Emu Pro standard plugins, then what I'd need to modify would be pad plugin code, not the code for the emulator itself.

For all I know there may already be pad plugins out there that do proper FPS mouse/keyboard support. Next time I go to play one of my FPS games, I'll probably try it with a different emulator so I can experiment with other plugins.

Or I'll just use the SmartJoy Frag and save myself the hassle. :)

Dan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.