Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on the irc the first of these pics was posted, then i spent a half an hour looking for the source. These two pics... are some of the most though provoking digital drawings i have ever seen.. seariously made me oOoOoO

first one,

artist's note:
"And it's time we saw a miracle
Come on it's time for something biblical
To pull us through it all
And pull us through it all

And this is the end, the end
This is the end
Of the World"

Apocalypse Please - Muse

Another book cover for "Fabryka Slow". A little post nuclear greetings for our military saviours :]

As usual - comments most welcome

Edit: For everyone wondering about her forearm and feet - yes its radiation burn, and its bad :/
original page http://omen2501.deviantart.com/art/Apocalypse-Please-80232244

The second one:

Artists note:
Another book cover for publisher "Fabryka Slow". Story behind it is pretty simple, they want something form her, she cannot let them have it... no matter the cost

Background is kinda mattepainting, character thou is entirely painted by me. Few references used, nothing significant thou
Notice the lasers... so amazing
And the original link
Rain by *OmeN2501 on deviantART
I found both of these to be so sad and desperate... beyond words... :(

(

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Those are pretty amazing.... I think the first pic has pretty nice detail on it, notice the flower on her left hand!:D ...That's evil:evil:

Those really are sad and sort of disturbing but I think that's the point.

Why does the tank have radiation warning sign on it?oO

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
Those are just incredible.

The hate expressed in them is outstanding.

In this case, a picture really is worth a thousand words.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Yeah i've seen this before. I think I might have it on one of my hdds in higher res.

I notice the trend of suicide bombers in those 2 pictures. I can only guess your own personal stance on them in general is one that it is honorable... even if the suicide bomber is targeting regular civilians.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are pretty amazing.... I think the first pic has pretty nice detail on it, notice the flower on her left hand!:D ...That's evil:evil:

Those really are sad and sort of disturbing but I think that's the point.

Why does the tank have radiation warning sign on it?oO

This is an example of explosive reactive armor

to quote wikipedia:
An element of explosive reactive armour consists of a sheet or slab of high explosive sandwiched between two plates, typically metal, called the reactive or dynamic elements. On attack by a penetrating weapon, the explosive detonates, forcibly driving the metal plates apart to damage the penetrator. Against a shaped charge, the projected plates disrupt the metallic jet penetrator, effectively providing a greater path-length of material to be penetrated. Against a long rod penetrator, the projected plates serve to deflect and break up the rod.
The disruption is attributed to two mechanisms. First, the moving plates change the effective velocity and angle of impact of the shaped charge jet, reducing the angle of incidence and increasing the effective jet velocity versus the plate element. Second, since the plates are angled compared to the usual impact direction of shaped charge warheads, as the plates move outwards the impact point on the plate moves over time, requiring the jet to cut through fresh plate material. This second effect increases the effective plate thickness during the impact significantly.
To be effective against kinetic energy projectiles, ERA must use much thicker and heavier plates and a correspondingly thicker explosive layer. Such "heavy ERA," such as the Soviet-developed Kontakt-5, can break apart a penetrating rod that is longer than the ERA is deep, again significantly reducing penetration capability.
Explosive reactive armour has been valued by the Soviet Union and its now-independent component states since the 1980s, and almost every tank in the eastern-European military inventory today has either been manufactured to use ERA or had ERA tiles added to it, including even the T-55 and T-62 tanks built forty to fifty years ago, but still used today by reserve units.
ERA tiles are used as add-on (or "appliqué") armour to the portions of an armoured fighting vehicle that are most likely to be hit, typically the front (glacis) of the hull and the front and sides of the turret. Their use requires that the vehicle itself be fairly heavily armoured to protect the vehicle and its crew from the exploding ERA; usually, ERA cannot be mounted on the less heavily armoured sides or rear of a vehicle.
A further complication to the use of ERA is the inherent danger to anybody near the tank when a plate detonates (disregarding that a HEAT warhead explosion would already present a great danger to anybody near the tank). Although ERA plates are intended only to bulge following detonation, the combined energy of the ERA explosive, coupled with the kinetic or explosive energy of the projectile, will frequently cause explosive fragmentation of the plate. The explosion of an ERA plate creates a significant amount of shrapnel, and bystanders are in grave danger of serious or fatal injury. As a result, infantry needs to operate some distance from vehicles protected by ERA in combined arms operations.
some nasty stuff..

General consensus about the meaning of the first pic is that the soldiers are the antagonists, and have destroyed the girl's city.. she has incurred severe radiation burns, as can be seen on her arms and feet, and probably has little time left to live from that. She has lost all hope, and has nothing to live for. She is trying, in her last desperate act of hopelessness to take a few of the antagonists with her.

Seeming to support this, is the view of the nonchalant soldiers, the nuclear leaflets littering the ground; also the hospital gown and red bow she is wearing.

It does not seem to me that she is a radical, or anything similar to that... just sad, hopeless, and no reason to live. :(

In the second picture, the girl is clearly on the defensive, especially supporting this is the authors' note,
Story behind it is pretty simple, they want something form her, she cannot let them have it... no matter the cost
Weather this means rape, robbery or other... it seems to be portraying a strong willed stance against oppression, the "give me liberty or death" kindof attitude

Thats my take on them...

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Suuicide bombers were familiar during the Vietnam war....many a soldier lost there mind from gunning down children

·
4,713 Posts
In the second picture, the girl is clearly on the defensive, especially supporting this is the authors' note,
Weather this means rape, robbery or other... it seems to be portraying a strong willed stance against oppression, the "give me liberty or death" kindof attitude

Thats my take on them...
I don't necessarily see it as such. She is seeking them out, not the other way around. And they are simply happy to accept what she appears to be willingly offering. The girl is seeking revenge for the destruction wrought to her people. There are many instances where oppressors go about their destruction without raping and pillaging. This image was likely inspired by the Israel/Palestine conflict. Israel in Palestine, Americans in Vietnam, Germany in France, these are examples of wars where wholesale raping does not take place and is not condoned by the respective militaries, soldiers caught doing this are most usually punished.

While the picture is very moving, the use of a girl, perhaps the most innocent person is intentionally used by the artist to create a more black and white one sided view point on suicide bombers, because lets face it the majority of suicide bombers are not only fully grown adults but usually males (the gender that has since the beginning of recorded time engaged in warfare (just look at male chimpanzee troops, our nearest genetic relative))

·
4,713 Posts
i'm referring to the 2nd pic, the one with the grenade in that section...
Okay never mind then. But as to the second picture it seem much more likely they want what ever contents is in the shoulder bag and she cannot let them get ahold of it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
4,713 Posts
Ahh cool. I can't disgree though they are both awesome pictures.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Nice pics! :) The first one looks like a scene from CoD5 :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts