Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'd like to know what A+ Certification is, what it does, and how you get it. I mean, would you need to have a degree in EE or know how to use them fancy devices?
Anyone here A+ certified?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
A++ certification allows you to have 500 Hrs of computer hardware/software experience on your resume. You will need to know windows configuration installation, hardware installation configuration, some networking knowledge, and troubleshooting hardware/software problems.

Mostly a lot of stuff to memorize like windows commands, dos commands, bootup processes, system files and what they do and are used for. Ie... autoexec.bat, command.com, BIOS, Cmos, TCP/IP, Ip pinging and configuration... ect..

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Compared to Cisco, it's child's play, which isn't very hard either as long as it all interests you. Anyway, Comptia's A+ course is the most recommended of all the ones that are available AFAIK. Personally, I did Aries A+, which was a better deal for me at the time. :heh:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Its not that hard. im taking some classes for A+ now throughout college. Might take the Ceritfication test at the end of the year depending. its that cisco crap that really ticked me off, i never did that well on those tests

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you study to get the certification? The college around my area offers intro to computer maintenance, would that be the course to take? Or would it be called specifically "A+ something"?
Once you get the certification, would you be able to get a job as a repair technician at Bestbuy and etc.? I want a job :)
Thanks

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Yeah, looks like a good certification to have. Where can i get this here in Brazil??
I already got HP/Compaq ASE certification.

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
stilz said:
How do you study to get the certification? The college around my area offers intro to computer maintenance, would that be the course to take? Or would it be called specifically "A+ something"?
Once you get the certification, would you be able to get a job as a repair technician at Bestbuy and etc.? I want a job :)
Thanks
As a person who is A+ certified, I can give some help.

There's an organization called CompTIA that handles the A+ certification testing. There are two tests to take: One for hardware and one for software. The questions are multiple choice. You have to complete each test in about 30 minutes.

So how do you take the test? Go to the CompTIA website and they have a list of locations of where you can take the test.

A+ certification is outside the school system. I suspect the computer maintenance course you are taking will not get you A+ certified. Depending on the school, there may be classes that can prep you for an A+ certification. But depending on the time, the teacher may skip some sections that is required to take the A+ test. I recommend that you get a A+ certification book to cover the missing parts.

Be prepare to spend the money if you want to get A+ certified. The test cost about $100 dollars each or more depending on the country. So for the two test for the A+, it's about $200. If you failed one of the tests, you have to pay again to take it!

Plus you probably have to spend money on A+ prep books which can cost a min. of $100. So you are looking at least $300 for everything.

So does a A+ certification mean a job positon? It helps, but it is not a guarantee. The employer may look at experience as well.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
My father used to work for a computer training company before it went out of business. He gave me the A+ test to look over and stuff I was 14-15 at the time (I'm now 18) and I came very close to passing it, I was like two or three points off. Its hard but most of it, (other than the dos commands) are farily easy.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Honestly, A+ doesn't mean very much these days. It's one of the easiest certifications to obtain. If you want something that could guarentee you a job go for MCSE, MCSA, or...hell...even MCP.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could you guys recommend a book on this subject?

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
FLaRe85 said:
Honestly, A+ doesn't mean very much these days. It's one of the easiest certifications to obtain. If you want something that could guarentee you a job go for MCSE, MCSA, or...hell...even MCP.
Unicron said:
but, nothing guarantees you a job or says you have knowledge of the industry, like experience.
Experience is sometimes not enough to get that job. (For all they know you could be B.Sing).

An A+ certification is paper proof that you know something about computers.

A+ certification is not the end all and be all, but it's a good start.

stilz said:
Could you guys recommend a book on this subject?
Try out Michael Meyers' book, but doing pratice test is your best bet in passing.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys.

edit: wow, I have 3 stars!!

·
"Insert witty title here"
1,049 Posts
Wow, I'm only a high school graduate. I have no college education whatsoever. I wonder how well I'd do on that test :)? I know a fair amount about the stuff fivefeet8 mentioned.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Being A+ qualified doesn't help all that much..believe me. Most of the stuff you learn is purely theoretical, but out in the field it's a different story altogether. You really start to learn "in the field" where it's practical. It's great to build your basic knowledge and to get a good understanding and overwiew. If you are interrested; I reccomend you use it as a stepping stone to something better like MCSE and utimately MCSD. I don't really know about the different syllabus' out there since i only did the CompTIA version.

If you really want to do it the easy way, You can allways visit some A+ "Braindump" sites where everyone post questions and answers they encountered in the real exam...... ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts