Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
8+ Years
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got into overclocking and noticed the 940 is a very good overclocker..and was wondering if the upgrade is worth it?
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! :thumb:

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Agreed. Phenom II is much better overall than the original Phenoms. My 955 OCs to 4.3GHz with very minimal effort.

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
Yes, it will be noticeable.

Personally, IMO it wouldn't justify the upgrade, but if you really want to overclock, the gain can be substantial.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Thanks. :) Though I can push 4.6GHz. It takes a bit more work and really makes me wish my mobo offered more OC profile slots.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Maybe. That seems to be the max though as increasing the multiplier any higher induces instability. I'd have to go for water/alcohol cooling to go any higher without causing damage.

·
8+ Years
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the reply everyone! I'll be purchasing the 940 very soon! :)

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I'm thinking about the price / performance ratio. For me the Pentium Dual Cores are still the highest in that regard. If you overclock. In stock though their performance is insane compared to the Phenom 1. But their gains when overclocking is a little less compared to the Intel Core2Quad processors.

It's performance is similar to the higher end of the Q9000 series. So way worth it in my opinion since they're cheaper than the Intel equivalents. :)

·
8+ Years
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks StriderVM....but if I go with a core 2 duo I would need to get a new motherboard as well. Anyways I decided to see how far my 9950 can go...just bought the Xigmatek Dark Knight and AC5.
Got this in the mail yesterday and I should be receiving my Xigmatek Dark Knight today :)

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
While it's not the exact cooler I have, it's close enough, so I can personally say you made a good choice with the cooler. Mine, with the same thermal compound, cools my CPU at 4.5GHz (though it does run warm, namely when stress testing, but I never really do that). At 4.0GHz, which I've been running it at more lately in order to use 8GB of RAM, it idles the CPU and both cores all at 29C (and even at stock and undervolted, it never goes below 29C, so I'm thinking the sensors are stuck there and it may possibly be running a bit cooler).

StriderVM, the low-mid end stuff is usually where you do get the best bang for the buck on alot of electronic things. Alot of people overlook this. What alot of people go for is the best "performance sweet spot" range parts, but the absolute best is often lower range (but the all the way to the bottom) than what most people go for. The Pentium Dual-cores are about the best bang for the buck on Intel's side. On AMDs side, I'd think it was the Phenom II based Athlons (the Kumas).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.