Next Generation Emulation banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Banned
35,081 Posts
heh, most 300w psu's are still only 20a 12v.....

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Point in question: My current PSU is a 300w one and has 18a on the 12v rail, as was stated before. -_-

The XFX one has 34a on the 12v rail, which is interesting, to say the least.

· From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
I'm wondering about that PSU though. It's new, right (I've never seen it, but the date suggests it's somewhat new)? Then why isn't it being made to current ATX standards (v2.2), and instead being made to outdated ATX standards (v2.03). It was manufactured in 2008, so there's no reason it should be purposely being made to standards from many years ago unless there's something they intentionally aren't meeting, and considering the ATX standards after that (v2.03) are basically minor revisions that basically called for more efficiency, quality, and even overall more power, I have to wonder "why?". It even says "Pentium 4" on the side. We're just given a claim of the rail totals, but no table outlining this information like any decent PSU should have. These are just red flags going up that I've noticed. The specifications do seem to check out, but I wonder if there are reviews out on these things.

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Hm. Interesting. I guess we'll find out soon enough. My father went berserk and ordered that PSU(which was one of the few ones I showed to him as mere possibilities), a cooler(didn't tell me which) and the 9800 GTX+. So now I'm stuck with it whether I like it or not.

Damn it, I hate it when people don't think about what they are doing. I just wish my father would listen to me at least every once in a while. -_-

"Take it slowly. We need to see if these are good enough or not" was the first thing I said when he went on to look for a new PSU.

6,584 Posts
I'd like to think it'll work anyway, given the specifications, even if the things I pointed out are "issues" per se, they're also not in that they likely may not matter. I just wanted to point these things out, but remember too that the foundation of your PC (the CPU and motherboard) are from that time and standard anyway, so it's not like it's automatically going to be insufficient for it because of those things. Just keep a watch on it, especially if you go to upgrade something down the line.

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Yeah, I know. Thanks for making me notice that, by the way.

And thanks to everyone that gave me their input so far. We'll see how things turn out.

· Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
I just hope it's the correct advice I gave you.

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
umm....I'm kinda confused as to what the actual output of the +12V rail of my PSU is. On one line, it says:

+12V1 = 14A(Max) | +12V2 = 16A(Max)
This would indicate that the total output of the +12V rail is 30A (i.e. sufficient for the 9600GT). But a few lines later, it says:

Total combine current on +12V1 and +12V2 rails are 19A MAX
What gives? :\ Or am I wrong to simply add up the output of the V1 and V2 rails and it works differently? :???:

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
So I guess I need to get a new PSU first :(

My mind seems pretty set on this 500W one, it's only $60, has a total of 52A on the 12V rail (which means that it can, at least provide 30A at one time), and it has a 2x PCIe connector so it'll be able to pop in an even more powerful gfx card in the future if I want to. Oh, and last but not least, its made by ASUS, and ASUS products = win :D

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Edit: Here's another alternative which costs exactly the same, the Cooler Master 600W:

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=en&act=detail&tbcate=22&id=51

· Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
I would actually go for CoolerMaster gamefreak.

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
I'm........not pretty sure myself. I'll wait for more people to give suggestions. This time I don't want to get a crappy product when a better alternative is available for the same pressure (like I did last year by getting this stupid E2160 instead of an AthlonX2 4000 or 4200 :hdbash:)

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Just like the XFX one I listed before, the Cooler Master one was made with old ATX standards. Zedeck mentioned that the newer revisions have some benefits. Just thought I'd point that out first of all.

That aside, both look pretty similar, the only differences being wattage output and cables available. You're gonna need someone more knowledgable than me to decide on this one.

6,584 Posts
What gives? :\ Or am I wrong to simply add up the output of the V1 and V2 rails and it works differently? :???:
Like I said a few posts back, you don't "add" anything together to get the total. Any decent PSU should plainly state the total for the +12V capabilities.
I'm........not pretty sure myself. I'll wait for more people to give suggestions. This time I don't want to get a crappy product when a better alternative is available for the same pressure (like I did last year by getting this stupid E2160 instead of an AthlonX2 4000 or 4200 :hdbash:)
I'd much rather have the E2160 than those other two. It's not really that CPU's fault the motherboard doesn't overclock it very far, but I'd even rather have it at stock over those two.

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Like I said a few posts back, you don't "add" anything together to get the total. Any decent PSU should plainly state the total for the +12V capabilities.
Well, even my measly 350W ASUS does, and probably the 2 aforementioned ones do too, but it isn't stated in the specifications on their website. Anyway, I think its safe to assume that a 600W PSU can run a 9600GT without issues(?)

Edit: Wait, if you look at the "Features" tab on the the Cooler Master 600W page, then it says there that it has a +12V1 rating of 18A, and a +12V2 rating on 18A as well. I'm probably missing out on something here, but on the outside, that's basically just a small amount more then what my current PSU outputs.

This is confusing.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.