Next Generation Emulation banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

· Site Owner
18,081 Posts
umm....sorry for (kinda) hijacking this thread :)p) but how future proof do you think the 9600GT and 9800GT are? I'm looking to pick up one of these next month. How long do you guys think one can will be able to run games at medium @ 1280x1024 with these cards?

Thanks.
Yes. Except for Crysis

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I thought I had stated it before. Cheap parents -> No brand(made in China). The sticker on the side of the PSU didn't say how much wattage the PSU could supply, either at constant or peak rate. I'll see if I can get a tester and check it's output power tonight, at the very least.

And "Yes" is hardly an answer for Gamefreak's question, Phil. >_>
Anything from the 9 series should be able to run games in medium settings at that resolution just dandy for the next 2-3 years(give or take), going by previous experience.

The 8600 GT can run most games in medium at 1280x1024 under those settings at max or near max speed(damned Crysis), and it's from 2007.

PS. "Overseas" wouldn't quite be right. We're on the same continent. >_>
PSS. If what the website you linked to says is true, then I guess I can trust GPUReview.com on the power draws listed per card. I finally have some sort of confirmation that they can be trusted. :p
PSSS. Way to make me feel like crap, NewEgg.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150314&ATT=14-150-314&CMP=AFC-C8Junction
Just how big IS that thing, though? Anyone with one willing to measure it for me? Now I'm also worried it won't fit my case.
PSSSS. Editted for the hell of it, this time. New record of post-scripts in a single post. :p

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Hmm....if you have cheap PSU, then you might also wanna confirm whether it has a 6-pin PCIe connector which both cards need to work (as the 75W coming from the PCIe slot isn't enough). My ASUS 350W PSU doesn't have one too. But it isn't as big a problem; most cards come with a Molex to PCIe adapter which you can use, or if not, then you can grab one separately. Either way, it'd be nice to have your aim clear right now and check.

Edit: Scratch that, I just checked and the 8600GTS needs an external PSU connection too, so your PSU must have one.

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
There is no such thing as a "most important component". You're equally screwed if you don't have a working CPU/motherboard/RAM. Now saying that its the most important, neglected component would be true cuz most people don't give it a damn.

· Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
Considering that's an unheard of brand I would say no

· Registered
8,815 Posts
There is no such thing as a "most important component". You're equally screwed if you don't have a working CPU/motherboard/RAM. Now saying that its the most important, neglected component would be true cuz most people don't give it a damn.
I don't think there's a person on this forum who didn't know what I meant. Stop being obtuse.

Power supply is the one component you don't want to cheap out on.

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Actually, I linked to the Saikano one because of what Skore told me some time ago:

I'd stay away from Cooler Master PSUs unless you buy their premium models. Their lower end models quality are very lacking from the reviews I've read.

I've heard of Saikano...but after Googling, I was a bit surprised. Saikano, or better known as Sintek. They make pretty good PSUs, especially for their price. The nifty thing about some of their models is the adjuster on the PSU itself. It makes for some very happy PC tweakers.

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Any comments? Seriously guys, I'm getting the 9800 GTX+ tomorrow, and I can almost bet that I'll have to get a new PSU.

Either way, I can shell an extra 10 USD and get this one:
MercadoLibre: Fuente XFX Platinum 600w 20+4 pin 1 SLI 2 SATA 6 IDE 1 PCI-e - U$S 72.90
(Like the other one, the link is in Spanish. Skip down to the image of the side of the PSU for extra info)

EDIT: Shouldn't the forum automerge this post with the last one? Whatever.

Issue #2: How loud is it? I don't want my PC being louder than a fighter jet. Sure, my 2.1 system may be able to simply out-do it. BBut still.

· Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
Seeing as it's SLI rated I would more be more likely to trust this one (the more overkill a bad PSU is the less likely it's going to have problems as it's under full load that issues start appearing and if it's overkill it should never end up under full load)...that's my reasoning at least...

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
XFX actually makes nVidia cards, so it should be trustworthy. In fact, they were the makers of the 8600 GTS that died on me yesterday. But hell, that thing was running at 65-70ºC on idle, and a max of 90-95ºC under load. So I'm getting an extra cooler along with this 9800 GTX+.

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Actually, I've been saving for a while just to get a new computer(or at least some new parts). My 8600 GTS frying up just gave me an excuse to use it now.

· Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
I am almost certain that somebody just decided to slap the XFX name on that PSU as the XFX don't make PSUs...so don't think cuz it's XFX it's gotta be good.

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Different logo, too. Good point.
But seriously, I can't get anything more expensive than that. And the only other option is the Saikano one. That, and I still need to get myself a cooler. I might have been saving cash for a while, but I'm nowhere near rich, you know.

The vendor is trustworthy, though, and that much I know for sure. I have a friend running a 9800 GT, a Q6600 and a ViewSonic monitor under a PSU bought from them a long while ago and they are working perfectly.

EDIT: Interesting, GameFreak. I still doubt this is from them, though. Date DOES show that it was made in 2009, but unless XFX actually went into the PSU business a while ago, it'd be kind of hard for this PSU to be theirs.

· Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
As I said due to it being somewhat overkill you should be fine even if it's not the best PSU.

· From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Shouldn't matter much as there's no such thing as a true multi-rail PSU under a certain price tag, so your PSU Amps would probably be the total of all 12V rails, and most PSUs at 300W or above is over 30A in total, anyway.
No, it does not necessarily work that way.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.