Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering how they compare against each other for some time, and since it seems that my current GPU is now busted I'll have to get a new one soon.

If I go by what Video Card Reviews and Specifications - Welcome To GPUReview.com! - GPUReview.com says, the difference in rough power between the 9600 GT and the 9800 GT isn't even close to being as big as the difference between a 8600 GT and a 8800 GT. Funny, though, the price difference IS the same.
This is what made me wonder whether I could trust the site or not and eventually led me to making this topic.

PS. How much amp does each need from the 12v rail? Any ideas?

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At their cheapest, I can get:

9600 GT: 128 USD
9800 GT: 152 USD
9800 GTX+: 176 USD

I'm worried I might have to buy a new PSU or a new case to get the later ones to work/fit, though.

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need to take a closer look at my PSU's specs before making a definite choice.
The other thing that worries me is that my GPU used to heat up considerably, even on idle(70ºC? I mean, hell! It's not supposed to be doing much at all!). I'll need to get a better case and an extra cooler, I believe.

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As I said, it's the cheapest I can get inside the country. And importing is a no-no. My parents simply won't let me import anything of value(in fact, the only thing they let me import at all was two games from Japan, as they came in DVDs. Something this expensive and fragile? My father would never let me import it, even if Newegg shipped to outside North America).

So, I took a look at my PSU(no brand. Damned cheap father). Wattage isn't listed, but amperage per rail was.

3.3v: 9a
5v: 10a
12v: 18a
5VSB: 1.5a
-12v: 0.5a

Just how good is that? >_>
I don't know much about electricity and it's inner workings, to be honest.

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Not like Newegg, no. Similar, but not quite like it. Anyway, in most retail shops, a 9600 GT goes for 150-170 USD. If anything, I'd be able to get it for far less that most of the people in my country would get one.

Also, as I said before, importing is a no-no. So rule that out already.

EDIT: Damned internet connection is playing tricks on me. It showed as if the post had failed, so I re-wrote it. Then I see that there are two of them. -_-

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I thought I had stated it before. Cheap parents -> No brand(made in China). The sticker on the side of the PSU didn't say how much wattage the PSU could supply, either at constant or peak rate. I'll see if I can get a tester and check it's output power tonight, at the very least.

And "Yes" is hardly an answer for Gamefreak's question, Phil. >_>
Anything from the 9 series should be able to run games in medium settings at that resolution just dandy for the next 2-3 years(give or take), going by previous experience.

The 8600 GT can run most games in medium at 1280x1024 under those settings at max or near max speed(damned Crysis), and it's from 2007.

PS. "Overseas" wouldn't quite be right. We're on the same continent. >_>
PSS. If what the website you linked to says is true, then I guess I can trust GPUReview.com on the power draws listed per card. I finally have some sort of confirmation that they can be trusted. :p
PSSS. Way to make me feel like crap, NewEgg.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150314&ATT=14-150-314&CMP=AFC-C8Junction
Just how big IS that thing, though? Anyone with one willing to measure it for me? Now I'm also worried it won't fit my case.
PSSSS. Editted for the hell of it, this time. New record of post-scripts in a single post. :p

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Actually, I linked to the Saikano one because of what Skore told me some time ago:

I'd stay away from Cooler Master PSUs unless you buy their premium models. Their lower end models quality are very lacking from the reviews I've read.

I've heard of Saikano...but after Googling, I was a bit surprised. Saikano, or better known as Sintek. They make pretty good PSUs, especially for their price. The nifty thing about some of their models is the adjuster on the PSU itself. It makes for some very happy PC tweakers.

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Any comments? Seriously guys, I'm getting the 9800 GTX+ tomorrow, and I can almost bet that I'll have to get a new PSU.

Either way, I can shell an extra 10 USD and get this one:
MercadoLibre: Fuente XFX Platinum 600w 20+4 pin 1 SLI 2 SATA 6 IDE 1 PCI-e - U$S 72.90
(Like the other one, the link is in Spanish. Skip down to the image of the side of the PSU for extra info)

EDIT: Shouldn't the forum automerge this post with the last one? Whatever.

Issue #2: How loud is it? I don't want my PC being louder than a fighter jet. Sure, my 2.1 system may be able to simply out-do it. BBut still.

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
XFX actually makes nVidia cards, so it should be trustworthy. In fact, they were the makers of the 8600 GTS that died on me yesterday. But hell, that thing was running at 65-70ºC on idle, and a max of 90-95ºC under load. So I'm getting an extra cooler along with this 9800 GTX+.

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Actually, I've been saving for a while just to get a new computer(or at least some new parts). My 8600 GTS frying up just gave me an excuse to use it now.

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Different logo, too. Good point.
But seriously, I can't get anything more expensive than that. And the only other option is the Saikano one. That, and I still need to get myself a cooler. I might have been saving cash for a while, but I'm nowhere near rich, you know.

The vendor is trustworthy, though, and that much I know for sure. I have a friend running a 9800 GT, a Q6600 and a ViewSonic monitor under a PSU bought from them a long while ago and they are working perfectly.

EDIT: Interesting, GameFreak. I still doubt this is from them, though. Date DOES show that it was made in 2009, but unless XFX actually went into the PSU business a while ago, it'd be kind of hard for this PSU to be theirs.

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Point in question: My current PSU is a 300w one and has 18a on the 12v rail, as was stated before. -_-

The XFX one has 34a on the 12v rail, which is interesting, to say the least.

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Hm. Interesting. I guess we'll find out soon enough. My father went berserk and ordered that PSU(which was one of the few ones I showed to him as mere possibilities), a cooler(didn't tell me which) and the 9800 GTX+. So now I'm stuck with it whether I like it or not.

Damn it, I hate it when people don't think about what they are doing. I just wish my father would listen to me at least every once in a while. -_-

"Take it slowly. We need to see if these are good enough or not" was the first thing I said when he went on to look for a new PSU.

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Yeah, I know. Thanks for making me notice that, by the way.

And thanks to everyone that gave me their input so far. We'll see how things turn out.

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Just like the XFX one I listed before, the Cooler Master one was made with old ATX standards. Zedeck mentioned that the newer revisions have some benefits. Just thought I'd point that out first of all.

That aside, both look pretty similar, the only differences being wattage output and cables available. You're gonna need someone more knowledgable than me to decide on this one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.