Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
umm....sorry for (kinda) hijacking this thread :)p) but how future proof do you think the 9600GT and 9800GT are? I'm looking to pick up one of these next month. How long do you guys think one can will be able to run games at medium @ 1280x1024 with these cards?

Thanks.

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Hmm....if you have cheap PSU, then you might also wanna confirm whether it has a 6-pin PCIe connector which both cards need to work (as the 75W coming from the PCIe slot isn't enough). My ASUS 350W PSU doesn't have one too. But it isn't as big a problem; most cards come with a Molex to PCIe adapter which you can use, or if not, then you can grab one separately. Either way, it'd be nice to have your aim clear right now and check.

Edit: Scratch that, I just checked and the 8600GTS needs an external PSU connection too, so your PSU must have one.

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
There is no such thing as a "most important component". You're equally screwed if you don't have a working CPU/motherboard/RAM. Now saying that its the most important, neglected component would be true cuz most people don't give it a damn.

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
umm....I'm kinda confused as to what the actual output of the +12V rail of my PSU is. On one line, it says:

+12V1 = 14A(Max) | +12V2 = 16A(Max)
This would indicate that the total output of the +12V rail is 30A (i.e. sufficient for the 9600GT). But a few lines later, it says:

Total combine current on +12V1 and +12V2 rails are 19A MAX
What gives? :\ Or am I wrong to simply add up the output of the V1 and V2 rails and it works differently? :???:

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
So I guess I need to get a new PSU first :(

My mind seems pretty set on this 500W one, it's only $60, has a total of 52A on the 12V rail (which means that it can, at least provide 30A at one time), and it has a 2x PCIe connector so it'll be able to pop in an even more powerful gfx card in the future if I want to. Oh, and last but not least, its made by ASUS, and ASUS products = win :D

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Edit: Here's another alternative which costs exactly the same, the Cooler Master 600W:

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=en&act=detail&tbcate=22&id=51

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
I'm........not pretty sure myself. I'll wait for more people to give suggestions. This time I don't want to get a crappy product when a better alternative is available for the same pressure (like I did last year by getting this stupid E2160 instead of an AthlonX2 4000 or 4200 :hdbash:)

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Like I said a few posts back, you don't "add" anything together to get the total. Any decent PSU should plainly state the total for the +12V capabilities.
Well, even my measly 350W ASUS does, and probably the 2 aforementioned ones do too, but it isn't stated in the specifications on their website. Anyway, I think its safe to assume that a 600W PSU can run a 9600GT without issues(?)

Edit: Wait, if you look at the "Features" tab on the the Cooler Master 600W page, then it says there that it has a +12V1 rating of 18A, and a +12V2 rating on 18A as well. I'm probably missing out on something here, but on the outside, that's basically just a small amount more then what my current PSU outputs.

This is confusing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.