Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering how they compare against each other for some time, and since it seems that my current GPU is now busted I'll have to get a new one soon.

If I go by what Video Card Reviews and Specifications - Welcome To GPUReview.com! - GPUReview.com says, the difference in rough power between the 9600 GT and the 9800 GT isn't even close to being as big as the difference between a 8600 GT and a 8800 GT. Funny, though, the price difference IS the same.
This is what made me wonder whether I could trust the site or not and eventually led me to making this topic.

PS. How much amp does each need from the 12v rail? Any ideas?

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
26A for the 9600GT and 29A for the 8800GT IIRC. Shouldn't matter much as there's no such thing as a true multi-rail PSU under a certain price tag, so your PSU Amps would probably be the total of all 12V rails, and most PSUs at 300W or above is over 30A in total, anyway.

Moving on...

The difference is actually still there. 2-3fps makes a large difference if the game runs at below 30fps. If not then there's little difference. Look closely at the benchmarks and judge for yourself.

My personal preference would be 9800GT if 9800GT and 9600GT are on the same price level, unless you are building an ultra portable computer.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've been wondering how they compare against each other for some time, and since it seems that my current GPU is now busted I'll have to get a new one soon.

If I go by what Video Card Reviews and Specifications - Welcome To GPUReview.com! - GPUReview.com says, the difference in rough power between the 9600 GT and the 9800 GT isn't even close to being as big as the difference between a 8600 GT and a 8800 GT. Funny, though, the price difference IS the same.
This is what made me wonder whether I could trust the site or not and eventually led me to making this topic.

PS. How much amp does each need from the 12v rail? Any ideas?
Go with the 9600GT if you want to save a few bux, but for "$20-$50 US" more you could get 9800GTX+ or a GTS 250.

·
Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At their cheapest, I can get:

9600 GT: 128 USD
9800 GT: 152 USD
9800 GTX+: 176 USD

I'm worried I might have to buy a new PSU or a new case to get the later ones to work/fit, though.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
I'm running a 9800GTX+ on an Antec 400W with 25A on the +12v rail. Overclocked to 800/2000/2600 (core/shader/mem), not a single hitch. :)

·
Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need to take a closer look at my PSU's specs before making a definite choice.
The other thing that worries me is that my GPU used to heat up considerably, even on idle(70ºC? I mean, hell! It's not supposed to be doing much at all!). I'll need to get a better case and an extra cooler, I believe.

·
Registered
285 Posts
At their cheapest, I can get:

9600 GT: 128 USD
9800 GT: 152 USD
9800 GTX+: 176 USD

I'm worried I might have to buy a new PSU or a new case to get the later ones to work/fit, though.
$128 for a 9600gt? You're paying to much, shouldn't pay more than $100 for a 9600gt and in some cases as low as $80 BFG 9600gt. As for the others a 9800 GTX+ at almost $180 is a tad overpriced too. Try $105 for an EVGA 9800GTX+:thumb:

·
Registered
285 Posts
dude prices are not the same every where. Stuff costs different prices in different places.

A 9600gt costs like 140$ here.
Dude you can get it for what ever price you want if you shop on the net, that is you don't have to pay the local price.:thumb:

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Newegg only ships to the US and Canada.

·
AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
Yeah a 9600GT costs around R$300 and the 9800GT around R$400 here in brazil.
I wonder if my 350W Akasa PSU could take that 9600GT...

·
Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As I said, it's the cheapest I can get inside the country. And importing is a no-no. My parents simply won't let me import anything of value(in fact, the only thing they let me import at all was two games from Japan, as they came in DVDs. Something this expensive and fragile? My father would never let me import it, even if Newegg shipped to outside North America).

So, I took a look at my PSU(no brand. Damned cheap father). Wattage isn't listed, but amperage per rail was.

3.3v: 9a
5v: 10a
12v: 18a
5VSB: 1.5a
-12v: 0.5a

Just how good is that? >_>
I don't know much about electricity and it's inner workings, to be honest.

·
Registered
285 Posts
As I said, it's the cheapest I can get inside the country. And importing is a no-no. My parents simply won't let me import anything of value(in fact, the only thing they let me import at all was two games from Japan, as they came in DVDs. Something this expensive and fragile? My father would never let me import it, even if Newegg shipped to outside North America).

So, I took a look at my PSU(no brand. Damned cheap father). Wattage isn't listed, but amperage per rail was.

No importing is fine, New Egg isn't the only game in town. But you're telling me there are no discount websites that operate in you're country?oO

·
Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Not like Newegg, no. Similar, but not quite like it. Anyway, in most retail shops, a 9600 GT goes for 150-170 USD. If anything, I'd be able to get it for far less that most of the people in my country would get one.

Also, as I said before, importing is a no-no. So rule that out already.

EDIT: Damned internet connection is playing tricks on me. It showed as if the post had failed, so I re-wrote it. Then I see that there are two of them. -_-

·
Registered
285 Posts
Not like Newegg, no. Similar, but not quite like it. Anyway, in most retail shops, a 9600 GT goes for 150-170 USD. If anything, I'd be able to get it for far less that most of the people in my country would get one.

Also, as I said before, importing is a no-no. So rule that out already.

EDIT: Damned internet connection is playing tricks on me. It showed as if the post had failed, so I re-wrote it. Then I see that there are two of them. -_-
Well then I stand corrected. And that really suck's you have to pay so much for hardware. You're saying you can't get it used either?

·
Registered
7,407 Posts

18A on the +12v is a little low for just about any modern midrange-highend GPU. You'll definitely need a new PSU for the 9800 series (9800GTX+ equipped PCs generally use about 230W at load, and about 140 at idle - GeForce 9800 GTX+ - Power Consumption), but the 9600GT should work just fine with your current one. Still, the G92 is far less power hungry than its precursors.

Edit: What make/model is your current power supply, and peak wattage?

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
umm....sorry for (kinda) hijacking this thread :)p) but how future proof do you think the 9600GT and 9800GT are? I'm looking to pick up one of these next month. How long do you guys think one can will be able to run games at medium @ 1280x1024 with these cards?

Thanks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've seen GTX 260s for 180, why is the price so high?
B/c the dude lives over seas and isn't allowed to import.

umm....sorry for (kinda) hijacking this thread :)p) but how future proof do you think the 9600GT and 9800GT are? I'm looking to pick up one of these next month. How long do you guys think one can will be able to run games at medium @ 1280x1024 with these cards?

Thanks.
9600gt is a champ for the price I would pick it over a 9800gt for that reason alone. But for future proofing go for something in the GTX 200 series. If you're looking to pay a little bit more than you would for a 9800gtx+ ($20-40) Get the GTX 260. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.