Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dumb question but can anyone explain to me why the use of a direct 8 pin pci-e connector is favored over a dual 6 pin-to-single 8 pin adapter with the GTX280? i have both on hand and im using the 8 pin pci-e connector from my PSU atm (which eliminates the need to use the adapter anyway) but im just curious as to what the big difference is, does the one you use somehow relate to the overall performance or functionallity of card itself?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Theres a tiny chance of fluctuations by using an adapter due to the material used in the adapter pins,

however, its usually fine either way.

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,886 Posts
dumb question but can anyone explain to me why the use of a direct 8 pin pci-e connector is favored over a dual 6 pin-to-single 8 pin adapter with the GTX280? i have both on hand and im using the 8 pin pci-e connector from my PSU atm (which eliminates the need to use the adapter anyway) but im just curious as to what the big difference is, does the one you use somehow relate to the overall performance or functionallity of card itself?
the extra two are for grounding really

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
the main reason is there are crappy psu out there which may sound like it has enough power but it may be based on older components so using an adapter over dedicated connector means may damage it, ive seen it happen... normally power supplys should provide enough and stable power for the adapter but the cheaper ones (ie the no name/unusual name branding) since it already has the dedicated one they dont ensure the adapters work

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine has a dual-purpose pci-e connector, its an 8 pin with 2 pins that can be folded back to create a makeshift 6 pin if one is needed (or snapped back on if an 8 pin is needed).

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
The power needs to be on one rail with nothing else on it. I ran into problems like that with the 8600gts oc I had. Some psu,s distribute the load, under volting the card and throw you the "no signal" error.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts