Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really? The last version of NullDC was released in August 2008. The August release was supposedly "released a little early" and there would be another release "shortly" with gamepad support and stuff.

That was eight months ago.

I've waited patiently and now I'm actually kind of depressed over this. Disappointed, at the very least. Is NullDC dead? Should I start paying more attention to Makaron, even though it doesn't have the speed or the ease-of-use NullDC has?

And most importantly, what's the hold-up?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
no, its a logical response to a question regarding a plugin based emulator.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Really? The last version of NullDC was released in August 2008. The August release was supposedly "released a little early" and there would be another release "shortly" with gamepad support and stuff.

That was eight months ago.

I've waited patiently and now I'm actually kind of depressed over this. Disappointed, at the very least. Is NullDC dead? Should I start paying more attention to Makaron, even though it doesn't have the speed or the ease-of-use NullDC has?

And most importantly, what's the hold-up?
Squall, plugin spec has not been released nor does the emu accept any other plugins that what it's programed to recognize. So if this guy even makes this plugin, it will never work with NullDC.

I'm with ya Skel...very depressing - though I have been more annoyingly I'm sure more vocal about it. And I see no hope in sight. The WIP thread hasn't been touched since Nov.

All we need is the already in place input (Falcon4ever's) plugin released along with an exe that'll work with. Sounds like all of that is done, which makes this situation even more frustrating. I have now given up hope and stop coming here hoping for some kind of news cause they're never is anything. This whole sub forum seems dead(ish).

Let's just hope that demul keeps progressing, that is one active emu with a descent UI. And Makaron is also coming along steady but surely. But still if NullDC had gamepad support, it would own all for quite a while. Even though the others have things that Null doesn't, still, overall, NullDC is the best. Maybe Raz will continue it someday...and surprise us all...I was hoping April 1st would've been that day, but alas, no....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, its a logical response to a question regarding a plugin based emulator.
Imagine if you complained about something - anything, really - and somebody got in your face with "WHY DON'T YOU DO BETTER, THEN, HUH?"

I don't need to be able to do anything to have a right to know what's up and why it's been eight months and no gamepad plugin for a game console where the primary input was a gamepad.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Well, you can try convincing Falcon4ever or Shuffle2 to port their plugins back to the v1.0.3 specs, or ask for the plugin specs from drk and make your own plugin. Problem solved. :p

I don't need to be able to do anything to have a right to know what's up and why it's been eight months and no gamepad plugin for a game console where the primary input was a gamepad.
Yet, by all means, you don't have the right to know. Status updates are a privilege, not a right and they are entirely optional... but since I woke up having a good mood today I'll enlighten you.

There was gamepad support implemented just a short time after v1.0.3 was released but since raz was busy with other stuff (real life and such) he was not able to work on nullDC. A release with just gamepad support could be made but various remaining bugs would not be ironed out. When a new version gets out it is supposed to be better than the previous one and the WIP state of various parts of the emulator does not allow that.
Now after all these months there was still not much work done on nullDC, not enough work to make the emu "better" at least.
So instead of releasing the emu at its current state it has been decided to actually make a release when/if we're happy with the end result.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yet, by all means, you don't have the right to know. Status updates are a privilege, not a right and they are entirely optional... but since I woke up having a good mood today I'll enlighten you.
Yes, I get that it's not actually a right. It's just really easy to say that, you know? I really don't want to come across as one of those stupid angry kids who goes on forums and thinks he's entitled to something.

I just really, really want to enjoy nullDC. Using old versions that still have gamepad support seems to be a little tricky now that the downloads page apparently just links to a bunch of random youtube videos, and having to use Xpadder or something is basically impossible if you're talking something like Sonic Adventure 2 or Crazy Taxi. A lot of Dreamcast games rely on having an analog stick.

And that it's been eight months and nobody with the skill to handle the task has bothered to do anything worth releasing.. is sad, and frustrating, and kind of annoying.

It mainly came up because a buddy of mine was about to purchase a Dreamcast off Ebay to play CD-Rs on and I recommended nullDC as an alternative (so he wouldn't have to deal with finding a Dreamcast with the right serial number). But then I remembered the gamepad thing, checked the forums here, and had to retract my recommendation to him because it's just not worth using if there's no gamepad plugin.

For as much as the gaming community romanticizes the Dreamcast, you'd think more people would be working on stuff like this...

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
So DO IT, and don't troll on the forum!
Why are you in this thread?

It mainly came up because a buddy of mine was about to purchase a Dreamcast off Ebay to play CD-Rs on and I recommended nullDC as an alternative (so he wouldn't have to deal with finding a Dreamcast with the right serial number). But then I remembered the gamepad thing, checked the forums here, and had to retract my recommendation to him because it's just not worth using if there's no gamepad plugin.
You're friend has no right to the emulator then. No console = no bios/flash = Against the law. (And this forums rules)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Be thorough when you post, you never stated anywhere he already had the console.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am with the OP, as in, by this late I was hoping there was already some sort of update rolled out. But to be fair, by the responses over time made by the emu developers, you can tell they are focusing on quality over quantity. They seem to want to make sure everything is tuned and ready, instead of developing a half-done, buggy, and butchered version. Not to mention that it is a collaborative effort, and we all have real lives which obviously have higher priority.

The only thing I would ask the devs to do differently is, since they are not willing to deliver the WIP betas, maybe update their site or even http://forums.ngemu.com/nulldc-disc...lems-fixed-problems-remaining-21-11-08-a.html more frequently, with a status report, difficulties encountered during the project or just some random signs of life. That would probably clear all whining and make the users understand better the challenges you face. Even when there's nothing significative to report, just a quick "Hey, we are still alive :)" would be meaningful. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
101 Posts
like my mother says..

'when its ready its ready, pressing for it wont make it happen any faster'

im happy to wait for it till the guys are ready as are alot of others, just breath and have paitence it will come when its ready.

·
Registered
224 Posts
When a new version gets out it is supposed to be better than the previous one and the WIP state of various parts of the emulator does not allow that.
Now after all these months there was still not much work done on nullDC, not enough work to make the emu "better" at least.
So instead of releasing the emu at its current state it has been decided to actually make a release when/if we're happy with the end result.
I can respect that. But lets face this thing, 1.0.3 was both a step forward AND a step back. I honestly don't think it is a real improvement over the previous release because of the games which really need analog support to be played properly.

We understand the reasoning, be being tossed a bone every once in a while wouldn't hurt. I don't see the harm in releasing it as is with gamepad support. Call it 1.0.3a or something.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.