Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, its been a while since i've posted here.. hehe.
i'll be straight to the point;

i'm looking at building an 8 core system, based on 2 opteron 2352's. using a tyan NFP3600 mobo.

my question is, if i already have 1 opteron, will buying another 1 work? may seem obvious, but if they are different steppings, will this cause issues? do dual CPU systems need *identical CPU's* in every way?

thanks,

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup, thats the plan.

they're obviously made for dual CPU stuff. 8 cores (in total) = 8 times the fun.

they're both 2352's, so i mean, identical in terms of clock speed and stuff, just different stepping..

thanks,

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,507 Posts
Do you have one with the TLB bug and you're looking at getting the updated B3? Should be fine.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, truth be told, i'm not sure if either are BA or B2 steppings, or B3, i can't check right now..

but even if they are different, it'll work? its quite a lot of dollah, so i want to be certain (as i can) it works.. :)

thanks,

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,507 Posts
well, truth be told, i'm not sure if either are BA or B2 steppings, or B3, i can't check right now..

but even if they are different, it'll work? its quite a lot of dollah, so i want to be certain (as i can) it works.. :)

thanks,

It'll work, but you'll get an error on startup:

The CPUs in this multiprocessor system are not all the same revision level.
To use all processors the operating system restricts itself to the features
of the least capable processor in the system. Should problems occur with
this system, contact the CPU manufacturer to see if this mix of processors
is supported.
What this means is that if you have a B0 and B3, the B3 will revert back to the B0's stepping. (which besides the TLB bug, there was no difference.) The TLB bug was fixed with a BIOS update if I remember correctly...

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Seeing as how I didn't know it was possible to put 2 CPU's in a single mobo, I'm not sure.
Only with server motherboards and processors though so don't feel too bad.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Only with server motherboards and processors though so don't feel too bad.
I'm sorry but...*face-palm*

I'll admit that isn't nearly as bad as the fact that there are still so many people that think the CD-Rom drive is a cup-holder.
That's what I'm talking about, the average user, so why don't you shut up. Only Flare could do this with his crazy server. Plus, when you don't need to run a disk and you're out of desk space, the Disk Drive is a perfect cup holder.

·
代言人
7,183 Posts
Are you making a server or workstation?
workstation mobo with 2x CPU doesn't do anything for gaming (even slows it down in some cases)

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm sorry but...*face-palm*

I'll admit that isn't nearly as bad as the fact that there are still so many people that think the CD-Rom drive is a cup-holder.
LOL!!!:lol:

This really isn't my field, however I'm working with highly sensetive micro circuitry and chips and from many mistakes I've made I can confidently say that you should try as hard as you can to have a pair of CPUs that are as identical as possible.
Chips of even the lightest complexity require to be paired with an equal component so that the system will be as close to full sychronization as possible (there's no such thing as perfect in our world) and thus be stable and efficient.
With quad-cored server grade CPUs you need to have the same CPUs on both sides.
From my personal recollection I remember that on most server motherboards the CPU sockets are located either on opposite corners or with the memory slots between them, meaning the distance their collective computational power has to travel is quite long, which poses risks of data corruption due to the resistance of the conductors or outside agents such as temperature and EM radiation.
This means that if you add two different CPUs, the data transfers might be corrupted and the system would not operate properly.
I could however be wrong, since CPUs aren't the same thing as decoders, counters, memory relay modules and micro controllers, and could operate well even under such conditions.
Yet, I would nonetheless strive to have identical CPUs on both sockets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts