Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting a new video card but since I don't have a credit card I plan I going to a local store. I saw a 6800oc with Far Cry for $305 , is it a good deal or should I try I get something else.

Also I have a radeon 7500. When I install the Nvidia card to I need to re-install windows or will windows install the drivers on its own.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
the 6800 OC is just BFG's cheap little thing that takes a stock 6800 and raises the core to 350 (from 325). it's not THAT big of a deal, i've gotten my 6800's core to 400 easily without much experimentation.

anyway, i paid $303 for my Albatron 6800 from newegg, including tax and $0.99 shipping. 305 is not too bad of a deal, im sure you could get maybe 30 bucks off that if you search...but just take the deal right now. it's not too bad and it's a great videocard.

when you get the new card you are goign to need to uninstall the 7500 and you might want to use a driver cleaner as well. when you turn on th computer with the 6800 in there, just go to nvidia.com, get the newest drivers, and load it up ;)

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
good choice. i am loving my 6800 atm, it was a big hit at my new years' LAN :D

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Squigi63 said:
Also I have a radeon 7500. When I install the Nvidia card to I need to re-install windows or will windows install the drivers on its own.
This is what I do when I change/upgrade drivers (same procedure as listed in the DriverCleaner 3 manual).

First, grab DriverCleaner 3. Uninstall the drivers through the Add/Remove Programs option in the Control Panel for Windows. Make sure anything ATi related is not left on the list. Reboot into safe mode. Run DriverCleaner 3 and have it clean anything ATi related that's on the list. If you want, you can run CabCleaner to clean out the driver.cab file (others may be listed too). After that, pop in the new card and install the drivers.

I've done that procedure numerous times with my 9500 Pro and I did it today with my 6800 GT and I've never had a problem :).

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry about the double post but I didn't really want to start a new thread. I just realized my mother board has a 4x AGP slot. I'm pretty sure this won't work anymore, does body have any suggestions for me. I'm thinking about just building a whole new computer but is that all I can do.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
The 6800 should work just fine in a 4x slot. There is hardly any performance loss (if any at all) by using 4x instead of 8x.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
what are the specs on teh rest of your computer? by getting a 6800, the bottleneck is going to be on the other stuff in your computer, by far. my 2500+ is almost at 3200+ speeds (50mhz away) and i am way CPU limited in games.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
athlon xp 1800+, 768MB RAM, k7s5a motherboard 120GB Maxtor HD 8MB cache.

It's not that bad of a machine runs HL2 fine it just isnt pretty. But with the fact that it will work on a 4x slot means im still getting the card. thanks for all the help guys.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
yeah, you are going to be severely CPU limited unless you clock that CPU at like 2500+ mhz :p but hey, that means you can turn up the AA and AF like crazy and no slowdown ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts