Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey :(
This morning when turning on my PC, I hard a scary high-pitched fan sound (or something of that kind, it was like the HL1 gauss rifle charging, but highpitched)
I opened the case thinking it had something to do with my CPU fan, so I cleaned it. I booted windows fine, check my mail and stuff.
Then I open Asus probe to check the temp, it was average, and when I tried to
check it again in Everest, the PC shut down ...

I cleaned it even better, and after turning off, instead of the BIOS screen,
I saw that the image was corrupt... very corrupt, nothing was recognizable,
it was just colors and colors and colors, acting like the TV noise (we call it snow here). To me it looked like the RAM was malfunctionning.

Problem is my card is brand new, I bought it last month and I never had any problem with it, it happened all of a sudden, its fan is clean, it doesn't smell melted plastic either... is there hope for me? I bought it online, so using the warranty is kinda hard :p

PS: It was not overclocked.
Now I'm back (again) to my GF2MX

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Holy **** man... Sounds like what happened to me. I'm sorry to hear about your card. Maybe it's the power supply or something? Have you tried another?

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
>> Holy **** man... Sounds like what happened to me.
Doh, tell my your story

>> I'm sorry to hear about your card.
Not as much as I am :(

>> Maybe it's the power supply or something?
I thought it was, but couldn't be sure until I get something better, but I hope
the damage wasn't permanent, it sucks paying 200€ for a card that lasts only 1 month

>> Have you tried another?
Not yet, R2RX said he's send me one... still waiting

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
There's a whole thread about my 9800 Pro frying. I've since RMA'd it and hopefully I'll get something back. Somehow I have doubts, but you never know.

Best of luck figuring something out.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RMA? I think I guessed what it is, but please confirm, it's where you send a messed up piece of HW and get a brand new one if you're lucky?

Well, I hope things will get better for us... looks like Murphy's law striked again :(

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Yes (RMA stands for Request Manufacturer Assistance). However, it's not about being lucky.. manufacturers depend on customer satisfaction, so if something fries due to a workmanship error, they're almost obligated to send you a new one. Check the manufacturer's site for RMA info if you do find out it's dead.

Esturk: Don't have any doubts. I'd bet my whole PC you'll have a new card soon. ;)

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
In your sig is says 100% Softmodded, did you unlock the extra pipelines? That can cause problems...

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
just RMA it. you'll get a new one, dont worry. i dont know if the softmodded core breaks warranty, but..like cooliscool said,...you'll get a new one ;)

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's softmodded but I didn't flash the BIOS, I dunno if they can check if Rivatuner was used :p
Thought it can't be the cause, softmod never made a fan scream like it did.
And it wouldn't have occured on boot

I thought about RMA, but I bought it online, so I dunno if I'll get something back, and
if I do I'll be without a 6800 for weeks. And the french Point Of View support page is currently unavailable (this is where my lack of luck strikes again)

http://www.pointofview-fr.com/
Click Support an you'll know what I mean, you don't even have to learn french for this kind of page :p

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
well it would scream if it was too hot... and i dunno, i guess they can check if the closed off pipes were ever used (regardless of BIOS)

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
>> well it would scream if it was too hot...

It was the 1st boot of the day, after 9 hours being turned off, it couldn't be heat after just 1 split second

>> and i dunno, i guess they can check if the closed off pipes were ever used (regardless of BIOS)
Maybe they have better things to do, at least I hope so

I'm so jinxed I wonder how comes I'm still alive...

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Opening closed pipelines shoulnt increase heat much at all. If that heat that it increases causes malfunctions, that card is running too hot stock too and that indicates problems in cooling.

Only thing that opening pipelines might do is that some pipes are broken (and thats why closed and higher card degenerated to 6800NU) and cause lots of gibberish to screen

Thats atleast what i have gathered. BTW, i too had similar problems with my Club3d 6800GT.

My first card: After four hours (ran Doom3D, 3dmarks etc... real stamina tests. :) ) my computer suddenly shutted down. Wierd, heat wasnt too high cuz i just checked it and it was below 70C, normal heat for 6800GT. When i turned it back on, computer screen was total gibberish. Screen was still understandable, so i checked heats quickly, and just 70C. And then it froze again. Now when i turned back on, screen was full of green gibberish. Burned memory chip in GFXcard, thats most likely.

Next card from warranty: This worked fine... for a week. I experienced few shutdowns, nothing else, 'till after shutdown screen showed only black... I was like, WTF!? :cuss2:

In shop where i bought it they took my comp for tests if there is problems in my 400W PSU, they found none. So they gave me another one again. But just in case i bought new much better quality PSU, and my card has worked fine now...

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So you got almost exactly the same problem, but for me it was 3 weeks instead of 4 hours, and my display was simply unreadable.
I tried again just before posting, same problem, I think my 300w PSU damaged my VRAM.
I heard NVidia drivers are supposed to warn me when it's low on power.... my a$$.
Running fine for 3 weeks and frying on boot after 9 hours is just too weird to be
a human error :p

What sucks is that I've not finished paying my card yet. I'm gonna RMA it, and I highly doubt they can check anything about overclocked or unlocked pp on a card that's
in a so bad state (word?)

Now I have to prepare for the worst, my luck will most likely make so they don't want to replace it... and I have to get a PSU. Grrrrr, if only I had a social life :s

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
In first it was readable, but second time it was totally in green gibberish and other mumboASCII. Totally unreadable.

6800 on 300W!? You are lucky it even ran. I think maybe 6800 was draining your PSU to the last drop, and caused some peaks that fried your card? 300W PSU's tend to be old so electric peak protection tend to be very weak.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That must be it :p
If the RMA is ok and I get a brand new card, I won't plug it until I get an uber PSU :I

BTW, when you buy online and send back to support, you have to pay the transport fee yourself?

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
No idea. Only thing i have bought online (for other country that is) is my Katana, and its still working fine. :p :lol:
AFAIK you have to. Luckily its not much. Some online shops (local ones) have 10 day return-quarantee where you can return it without postage fees.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, ATM I just have to wait for the support reply, I can't send anything back before they tell me to :p And it can take about to 10 days :(

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
my friend ran his 6800 on a sony VAIO with some crappy ass PSU, i think it was 250. the 6800 sent itself on a kamikaze mission to destroy itself and the rest of the computer at the same time.

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
hushypushy said:
my friend ran his 6800 on a sony VAIO with some crappy ass PSU, i think it was 250. the 6800 sent itself on a kamikaze mission to destroy itself and the rest of the computer at the same time.

0_0!!!

Care to tell us details. :lol:

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, the driver level low-power warning is just a fairy tale.... :s

1 - 20 of 36 Posts