Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
TEKKEN LORD
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just bought an AMD 64 set (mb,cpu,(soket 939)and a 6600gpu ) and he said that it was not worth the money cuz the cpu is called 3200 is only clocked @2.4
And i realized he hasn’t even installed a 64 bit windows he is using the old 32 version
And when I told him to get an 64 bit supporting OS he told me that windows 64 is not compatible with games . “just like win xp is not yet fit for gaming and windows millennium is a better OS”, heck I’ve been using Win xp since it was released and only Aladdin (dos version )did not work .
So if any member with a 64 bit setup can tell me for sure so he can play all the games he want that its ok he can play with 64 bit windows so that I’m on solid ground when I convince him to buy the 64bit windows .
And maybe some recommendations on games that with 64bit can kick major ass ,

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Lets clear all this up:

- Athlon64 3200+ is faster than the P4 EE 3.73GHz in most games, so clockspeed cannot be compared cross-processor types - a very common n00b misconception. G5, Sun's UltraSparc, Itanium 2, Xeon, Opteron etc. all perform VERY differently at a given clockspeed in a given app.

- Windows ME is horseshit. It is a slower, unstable, Win9x based OS that is incredibly outdated and to my knowledge unsupported by MS. WinME is inferior to Win98 SE and is widely consdiered to be Microsoft's biggest failure in recent times.

- Windows XP 64-Bit has some teething problems with drivers and things, which are slowly being sorted out. Windows XP 32-bit may be a better option for maximum compatibility.

- Very few programs actually use 64-bit. Mostly some media encoders and FarCry 64-bit. Programs that are 32-bit do not benefit from 64-bit at all.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Basicly unless the game has some wierd driver based copyprotection (Ubisoft's Splinter Cell 3: Chaos Theory being the only one I know off) it shoud run porperly, I have a AthlonXP 3500+ running here with Windows XP Pro x64 and I am going just fine, the only problem is that there may be a few drivers that are not avaliable for certain devices yet but that is being sorted out like Clements said, the only x64 games that I know off are:
Unreal Tournament 2004 x64
Far Cry (with the 64 bit patch)
Half-Life 2 (Latest update)

you can go th http://www.planetamd64.com for more details

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.