Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll summary the post so you don't have to read it entirely:
- On 1.0.3 DoA runs 60 fps but in real time it's about 20% slower(guesstimate), on 1.6B it Does run 60fps in sync with my stopwatch
- with chankast's aica the game runs at 180 fps
- On 1.0.3 Veronica runs 60 fps in sync with another computer on 1.6B

My question is, can I get real 60 fps in 1.0.3 with DoA?

Hi ^-^

I'm playing Dead or Alive 2 Limited Edition(Japanese version) on nulldc 1.0.3 and on nulldc_100b1_6. On 1.6 I get 60 fps with null aica, and 150 fps with chankast's aica. On 1.0.3 I get 60 fps with null aica, and 180 fps with chankast's aica or null aica with sync of.

Now the problem is that 60 fps and 100% cpu on 1.0.3 is actually slower than the 60 fps and 100% cpu on 1.6. Even though I had been playing on 180 fps for a while when I switched from chankast's audio to nullaica 60 fps didn't feel like it was the speed at which the game was meant to run. I took a stopwatch and tried to sync with the ingame timer but the emulator lagged significantly behind. Then I double checked by playing with null aica on 1.6 and that definitely felt faster. it was in sync with my stopwatch.

btw my specs are
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3800 512 MB(2x this video card)

Windows Xp

I use nullpvr with nullaica for 100% speed and chankast's aica for double~tripple speed. on 1.6 I have no problems, on 1.0.3 I put everything on the highest(dynamic,full/trinagle/normal/D24FS8). Because it runs so fast with chankast's aica and it shows 100% cpu and 60fps with nullaica I don't think the computer or height of the settings causes the problem.

The only other game I play is resident evil veronica. I used to play it before 1.0.3 came out. I have another computer here that can run the 1.6 emulator at 100% speed. I used it to compare veronica running on the quad core on 1.0.3 nullaica with veronica running on the 2Ghz AMD on 1.6 nullaica. both emulators ran at 100% cpu and 60 fps. I played a bit on one computer and on the other, in a way 1.6 seems smoother in speed but I did some more testing. if I spam the move forward button on 1.6 you can see claire move spastically, you can see her leg move twice when you do a double tab at the speed you would double click on the mouse while on 1.0.3 the movement seems to be animated slower. you can visually spam moves better on 1.6. when I simultaneously press move forward on both computers 1.6 makes the first footstep noise which is weird. even if I press the move button on 1.0.3 a msec before I do on 1.6 I hear 1.6's footstep first. I believe it has to do with the animation. somehow it starts smoother on 1.6 and makes the first noise. but if I adapt my timing I can walk with the footstep sound in sync which means they're equally fast. even after a long time the footsteps don't go out of sync. the final test I performed was going through a door so both claire's would be in the exact same position and I started walking simultaneously in a corridor. I looked in between both monitors and the camera angle changed simultaneously. Even though the sound starts a little bit later on 1.0.3. I concluded that veronica at 60fps on 1.0.3 runs realtime 100%

So basically in DoA2LE 60fps isn't really 60fps but ...wait a sec, I was thinking of a concrete amount of fps and thought 80% so 50fps but that's the difference between ntsc and pal right? maybe that's the problem? I don't know much about ntsc and pal but could it be that that's the problem? I run the game with VGA 0 RGB cable so I get 60fps instead of 50 and it worked for veronica but maybe the Japanese version of DoA is meant for 50 fps? Or should all games run 60fps with this setup? but even if a game runs 50fps a timer would run as fast as a stopwatch or not? edit: wait I'm being stupid, if DoA runs 60fps in 1.6 then it's no 50fps limit problem)

My question is, can I get real 60 fps in 1.0.3 with DoA?

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
disable video or vsync and use audio synching would help.

·
クロスエクス
4,890 Posts
Just did a stopwatch test, of 30 seconds on DoA2 NTSC. (fight countdown)
I was having 100-95% speed, and I got exactly 00:30.00. O_O

I think that's working alright. Otherwise, if it were the PAL/NTSC issue...thing,
30 seconds on the emulator would've been ~36 seconds on the stopwatch.... right? o_O

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help ^-^

I can't use the computer in question until next weekend so I can't do anything until then. But when I come home I'll take the screenshots.

I hope using Audio Sync instead of Vsync solves the problem. But I'm not sure how to do this. If I use nullaica I can select sync audio under options > aica. do you mean this by audio sync? and if audio sync is on is Vsync turned off per definition? Or do I have to turn that off somewhere else because I can't find it.
In my first post I mentioned that with this audio sync on I get 60 fps but not in real time but when I turn it off I get 180 fps which is fun but a little bit too fast because you can't push 2 buttons at the same time anymore, it's impossible XD

Check this in the drivers ATI: AA adaptative: Desactived or OFF.
I'll compare my screenshots next weekend. How exactly do I find that AA adaptative option? rmb on desktop, properties > top right tab > advanced? and then?

I think that's working alright. Otherwise, if it were the PAL/NTSC issue...thing,
30 seconds on the emulator would've been ~36 seconds on the stopwatch.... right? o_O
yes you're right. At least it's clear now that I'm the only one with the problem :p

I'll be able to check again next weekend, thanks again for your help so far ;)

·
Emu Fan =P
33 Posts
I'll compare my screenshots next weekend. How exactly do I find that AA adaptative option? rmb on desktop, properties > top right tab > advanced? and then?
rmb on desktop ---> Catalyst Control Center ------>

Drivers used: Catalyst 9.6 Win7 x64 - VSync Actived forced with D3D Overrider.

Config nullDC:

Power VR:

Paletted Textures: Dinamic Full
Sort: Per Triangle
Modifier Volumes: Normal
Z Buffer Mode: D24S8 + FPE

Null Aica:

Buffer Size: 2048
Sync Audio: Yes
DSP Emulation: Yes

The Radeon 3870 can move the game perfectly.......

Salu2 ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help, I found out what the problem was. On 1.0.3 underclock FPU was on. By turning it off it was real 60 fps like in 1.6.

I took the screenshots anyway:

AA adaptative was off

Thanks again for all the help~ Problem solved -

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.