Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
601 - 620 of 1121 Posts

· Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #601 · (Edited)
yes thats pretty damn high, but thats the going rate. Where i work its 240 for 2 years.
does a TWO year warrantee mean anything on a lesser brand or would I be waiting weeks/month's for repair/replacement..

Not that I'm going there - just curious cause nobody mentioned it..

Not to worry though folks - I'm sure that won't happen - there's TONS of LG's in stock/in the city here...

Let me rephrase that: or does that mean automatic replacement in tWO YEARS - not by the company - but by ME!!!!!

Just a question, let's not get all our shorts in an uproar here....

Seriously though, the 42LG30 looks like just what I need....I suppose with 1920 by 1080 I could set the desktop higher and have more Desktop space, but like I said I love big icons, and what masta g photographed there is good enough... 1366 by 768 is practically spoiling me compared to 640 by 480, so I'm confident that it will be more than adequate for a pc monitor.... And the good thing is, now I'll be able to watch all those widescreen shows and movies in semi-high def without those annoying black bars....

...although I may get bars when I attempt to watch All in the Family or Cheers etc....

ppretty good lookin TV and by a pretty good name...

that's gonna look bloody awesome - for once I'll have a modern decor....

Just got off the phone with CBIT (computer Boulevard) - an extra years warrantee is like 240.00

Jesus Christ!!!!!!!! That's what PCXL Fan said!!!!!

PCXL: Do you work there????? or is that also the going rate....

Don't worry, I won't hold it against you, they're actually pretty GOOD.. Those guys built my system....and it's currently still holding it's water....

· Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
you would in some situations be waiting a few weeks on the repair, but sometimes it could be just a few days.

it never means automatic replacement, unless its a repair issue for which cannot be repair cost effectively. Then they give you a refurbished model.

I can't say where i work.

· Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #603 ·
it never means automatic replacement, unless its a repair issue for which cannot be repair cost effectively. Then they give you a refurbished model.

What I meant was WOULd I HAVE TO AUTOMATICALLY REPLACE IT???? After two years when the warrantee ran out....Even if it was a cheapie like the Vision Quest with a TWO Year wannranntee ...

Don't worry, as long as it's not Cbit, cause it would seem like favoritism or something..if I knew you worked there and then bought from there....

oops: massive typo - obviously Daddy here meant WARRANTEE - or however it's spelled...

· Banned
35,081 Posts
I wouldn't get any bigger then

24" ftw

too bad its not mine.

"Clearly, since the xbox 360 sucks."

· Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #605 ·
Yeah, a friend of mine here in The City has an XBox 360 hooked up to a 24" Monitor.... He swears by it...

Obviously he's never tried to watch a movie from the other end of the room though, cause then 24" starts to look kind of trite...so to speak...

Nothing personal though, it would be BIG for a pc Monitor if it was ON YOURS DESK.....

· Banned
35,081 Posts
screens bigger then 21" require wall mounting, they shouldn't be sat right on the desk in front of you.

· Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
Gameman most people make investments which will prove reliable for as long as possible...

In other words they buy a TV and knowing that for at least a year they are guaranteed having use of it, but hope that by getting reputable brand and good quality TV that they can get 10 or maybe even 15 years out of it.

Stop treating an $800 luxury and investment as some sort of disposable item...you know like those cameras you buy which have 30 pics in them and then you throw them away....

Also if you check the LG website both the 42LG30 and 42LG50 are certififed for 60000 hours....now do the math...or alternatively you should just be satisfied that that number is sufficiently BIG....

· Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #608 ·
Also if you check the LG website both the 42LG30 and 42LG50 are certififed for 60000 hours....now do the math...or alternatively you should just be satisfied that that number is sufficiently BIG....
60000 Hours seems good...might be worth the full 800.00

especially if it's just gonna be a big pc.....

9,320 Posts
What I meant was WOULd I HAVE TO AUTOMATICALLY REPLACE IT???? After two years when the warrantee ran out....Even if it was a cheapie like the Vision Quest with a TWO Year wannranntee ...

once the warrantee runs out you could get it repaired but you are going to have to pay for parts and labor.

Actually the way the tvs work is problems usually don't start occuring until the 5th or 6th year, problems almost always start cropping up right after the extended warrantee runs out. The companies have this figured out. Most people never use their warrantee.

Don't worry, as long as it's not Cbit, cause it would seem like favoritism or something..if I knew you worked there and then bought from there...
lets say hypothetically i do work there, whats so wrong about buying from there. Are there some ethical gods you must appease? Buy from wherever the heck you feel like it. You don't have to worry about hurting the feelings of the other workers at computer avenue or computer trends or itech. BTW what do you look like?

· Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
If you do the math it works out to the typical lifespan being just under 7 years of 24/7 use...so barring strange misshaps you should get 10 years out of it easily...

· Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #611 · (Edited)
BTW what do you look like?
Big and Ferocious

Oh Yeah, and Very Mean....

HAHA!!!!!! Obviously I'm kidding...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

All I'm gonna say is this...

I'm Tall.........Very Tall oOoOo

and you know what they say about tall people...

9,320 Posts
If you do the math it works out to the typical lifespan being just under 7 years of 24/7 use...so barring strange misshaps you should get 10 years out of it easily...
Those ratings are probably flim flam, just like contrast ratio, and just like purported life expectancy off ssd and cd/dvds.

And that is also just the life expectancy of the panel, one component of a display. There is alot more that can go wrong.

· Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #613 · (Edited)
For what I look like, see last edited post.....

Anyways...

Are you saying that L.G. Goldstar would purposely B.S. us???????

Don't they have a reputation to live up to....If I'm buying from LG then it better last at least 3 before the **** hits the fan so to speak....

Or at least 2 anyway.... without having to purchase extra B.S. warranttees that don't extend the life of the t.v. but rather extend my wallet's reach to their cash till.....

Looks like no matter how I slice it I'm spending 900.00 BIG ONES....

· Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #614 ·
I noticed PCXL Fan That you said to NEVER buy from BestBuy...

The 42" Monster I'm Looking at is from Futureshop....(right next to them))

What's your opinion of Futureshop.... Cause My only two other choices are Computer Boulevard and The Real Canadian Superstore......Both of which carry Daytek and Vision Quest......

Visions had some good deals but I think that sale is long over....

By the Way Computer Avenue sucks for selection....

9,320 Posts
I noticed PCXL Fan That you said to NEVER buy from BestBuy...

The 42" Monster I'm Looking at is from Futureshop....(right next to them))

What's your opinion of Futureshop.... Cause My only two other choices are Computer Boulevard and The Real Canadian Superstore......Both of which carry Daytek and Vision Quest......

Visions had some good deals but I think that sale is long over....

By the Way Computer Avenue sucks for selection....
I think you misread me. Go to Best Buy, they usually have some of the better deals in town. Perhaps you were refering back to my monster cable mention. Don't buy monster cables from Best Buy, buy noname brand from monoprice.com. Same quality cables for $10 (+ ~$8 shipping (a guess)) instead of $99.

Futureshop is owned by Bestbuy or bestbuys parent company. They are good as well, so is visions. Go with whoever has the best deal.

· Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #616 · (Edited)
Thanks, my only problem with Futureshop is their attitude when you refuse to get their extended warrantee.

Those ignorant buggers will actually "harrass" you if you don't listen to their promotion/go for it..

I bought a VCR 12 years ago when The futureshop on McPhillips first opened (gone now) and the salesman was actually rude and gave me a dirty look when I repeated turned him down about their extended "service plan",,,,

Very rude indeed....

These guys don't like taking "no" for an answer....

But that was then, I don't know about now......

Let's hope they've seen the light since then...:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

eDIT:

OOOHHHH Friday the 13th!!!!!!!!!

Are some of you fine folks superstitious??

Did you even get out of Bed today???

This oughtta be good.....

· Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
Yes I got out of bed. I am not one bit superstitious, although I am feeling a little under the weather today...I must just not be looking forward to tommorrow...presents are fine (not needed but fine) but all the family and the big party associated with turning 21 don't appeal to me, I like things nice and quiet and peacefull with as few people as possible.

· Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #618 ·
Yes I got out of bed. I am not one bit superstitious, although I am feeling a little under the weather today...I must just not be looking forward to tommorrow...presents are fine (not needed but fine) but all the family and the big party associated with turning 21 don't appeal to me, I like things nice and quiet and peacefull with as few people as possible.

Well HAPPY BIRTHDAY their mate, now you're catching up to Daddy here in the AGE department....

I remember when I turned 20, I was depressed for days and refused to move....

I thought I was "over the hill" THEN..... I didn't know what was yet to come....

Now I'm a SENIOR CITIZEN!!!!!!!!! Time for the home.......

Think I oughtta get me one of these??????

· Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts

It's not that I care about the age by the way, I mean even if I for some Bizarre reason would gain 10 years on one birthday I could not care less, I just don't like the whole big occasion that's made out of a 21st birthday.

Lol that looks like a premium walker there, might as well futureproof yourself and get it :p

So how's the TV?
He's only getting it in May at the earliest D.D

601 - 620 of 1121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.