Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 1121 Posts

·
No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
Gameman, that Samsung you've listed has a 1366x768 native resolution. Always check the specifications. ;)

I couldn't check the specs of the first 2 TV's because Best Buy seems to be using an invalid Java script to access the spec tab.

The Toshiba at the bottom of your post is true 1080p...

·
Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
oh, must've missed it....must've been looking at the INPUT capabilities....oops

here's a picture of one of the higher ones, although a slightly lesser brand I must say....

If I go for it it's gonna look DAMN good on my old Trinitron stand here......especially with that 1080 P

Heck, at these prices I might even go for the 47"!!!!!!!!!

·
Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Generic hdtvs lol. What is this world coming too?
well, they're probably for those like me, than want the best, but aren't especially
financially endowed............

So to speak........:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

I dunno, even if it's only Generic it's still bound to be WAY high Quality than the Sony Wega Trinitron......

Although depending on what my choices are at time of purchase I would probably opt for the Brand name...

After all this Trinitron has been through a lot of abuse and never once broken down...

Then again I've only had it 2 years......

Oh, and Spyhop - I realize you're just trying to help here, but honestly how can I go DOWN in size to 24" when I've been to the promised land.......??????

·
Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Nah, I can afford 800.00 but after that it becomes a financial burden....

It's a sort of a case of give and take here where my money is concerned.....:heh::heh:

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Gameman, you're a ****ing retard.

·
Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
No it wasn't on deaf ears, but runawayprisoner's point and cottonvibes point (two emulation experts by the way) was also awfully convincing...:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Oh, and cooliscool......thanks:p:p:p

I prefer to think of it as "mentally - well endowed........."

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
No it wasn't on deaf ears, but runawayprisoner's point and cottonvibes point (two emulation experts by the way) was also awfully convincing...:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
You mean cotton's point where he said he had to sit 4 feet back due to the EXACT size/distance ratio problem I described?

People just love the idea of having a huge TV for a computer monitor.....but they don't think it all the way through. It is completely impractical and ridiculous. Given the choice of a 24 or 27" and a 42", pricing being equal, I would still choose a 24 or 27". The only advantage a 42" gives you is that you're able to tell people, "doood....I have a 42" monitor on my computer lolololol". Viewable-area/distance wise, there's no difference and you actuall create problems for yourself when you have to put so much distance between you and your screen.

The ideal setup is a human-sized desktop LCD, and an HDTV as a 2nd display. I have my HDTV connected to my computer and it sits across the room. When I feel like it, I can port games or movies over to my hdtv, and sit down on my couch to watch/play them. It's very nice. But you don't see my replacing my 22" LCD as primary display and for good reason.

·
Site Owner
18,081 Posts
Spyhop you have a point, definitely. My boss at work has a 40" monitor mounted to the wall as her computer screen. I cant imagine constantly staring up a t a screen like she does. Maybe thats why she always is rubbing her neck.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Or to over emphasize it: I prefer watching movies on my 24" because it does the thing better than a cinema. In cinema if unlucky I'll be sitting at a distance that gives me quite a large view of the audience and walls. At home when I sit in front of my PC, the entire view of my eyes is covered by my monitor, at least the part where I notice what's going on :)

Anyway, if you're so set on getting an HDtv, the LG looks rather nice. I wouldn't go for those cheapo brands unless they'd have some very good credentials. The 1080p one will help you out, but you do need to keep your distance otherwise you'll just be moving your head from left to right. So if it will be on your desk, it'll be rather impractical. And that's exactly what everyone here is telling you. On the other hand, if you want to use it as your regular TV at the same time and don't want to get a second display, do it, it's your money to burn, you know the pros and cons, they've all been said several times :)

·
Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
Seriously though, i place this quote high on my list of "Quotes of the Year"

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
What is this?????? A Double-Teaming here???????:p:p:p:p:p

Gameman, you're a ****ing retard.
Well if anyone has personal experience....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Get as big as you want,i used my 32inch widescreen lcd as pc monitor for 6 months and loved it.

·
Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
Get as big as you want,i used my 32inch widescreen lcd as pc monitor for 6 months and loved it.
Why may I ask did you go back to the 19" listed in your siggy then?/????

Too big?????

Oh well, here's my REVISED choice thanks in part to Spyhop and masta g..... (for the suggestions and educations)

Future Shop: TV & Video: 40"-49" TVs: LG 42" 1080p Widescreen LCD HDTV** (42LG50)

Methinks this shall make a decent COMPUTER MONITOR...not to mention TV....:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Much better or higher quality looking and a progressive resolution or whatever instead of that 1080i I was considering earlier.....

With the Exception of Doom9 I never learned so much as I have at this forum.... :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Edit: For those of you contemplating a similar TV (not that I'm suggesting you do this) here's some decent full body shots of the TV in question from Amazon..... Looking good to me...

PS: considering it's a full42 inches - it's obviously a lot BIGGER than it looks here.... must be humongous......

to help make this thread as informative as possible here's the full spec's right from the LG website.....

Plus the actual link in case you wanna see it for yourself...
LG LCD Flat Panel - Model 42LG50: TV|Audio|Video > LCD Flat Panel > 42LG50

Note the resolution - definitely better that 700 by 1300 something....

Amazing, except for the Sony Tv, whenever I've ever gotten anything GOOD it's always been from LG...........Good Company.....

·
Banned
200 Posts
Besides, doesn't user "mOFO" have one??????
Yes I have a 42 Inch 1080p 2880x2660 35000:1 Contrast Ratio (And Yes that's native resolution) , it did cost me double your price range though about $1600-$1800 CDN , though mine is VESA mounted to the wall infront of me ,so It is almost 10 feet away from me, Spyhop is right, it's not good for your eyes to be seitting that close to it if you're going to use it as a monitor make sure you dim the brightness/backlight or it will really start straining your eyes, I played World of Warcraft for 4-5 hours today and my eyes are now as red as tomatoes and really sore, 5-8 away from the TV/Monitor at least and it might be worth it to get a nice VESA mount, make sure it's a VESA mount though , past 20 inch the weight and size of the screen is too much to not be using a VESA certified mount

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
My argument was not about how hard it is on your eyes, although that is a concern as well.

My argument was about the complete pointlessness of spending more money on a bigger monitor when you're forced to sit further away from it because it's too big. 24" at 1 foot or a 42" at 6 feet.....your eyes don't know the *****ing difference.

41 - 60 of 1121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.