Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I have what's technically considered an HD television, but it's a rear projection 1080i 56" CRT type, so using component input from my PC gives a very blurry image (at least when I tried at 1280x720p, which it's supposed to upscale to 1080i very smoothly),
Almost every 1080i TV I've ever seen aren't 1080 native. They're 1366x768. (some are even 1024x768....bleh) They only say they accept 1080i video for marketting purposes.

Change your resolution to 1360x768 and try again.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
They make em this big for a reason
Yes. For multiple people to watch at a reasonable distance. There is absolutely no point and there is NOTHING to be gained by using one for an individual monitor and having to sit further away to compensate for the size. For gods sakes man, after 6 pages of this, do you still not understand the concept of perception?

sigh..
dear mods...I know insults and flames are against the rules outside the bin. But how much allowance are you willing to give me this one time given the circumstances?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
that's what I essentially was saying spyhop!

But I am sure i have sen bigger screens then mine with higher res the 1920x1200
I doubt it. Screens with resolutions over 1920x1200 exist, but they're extremely uncommon.

Common widescreen resolutions for monitors:
1440x900
1680x1050
1920x1200

Common widescreen resolutions for HDTVs - also monitors for all intents and purposes.

720P/1080i TVs which can include the following native resolutions:
1024x768
1360x768

1080P
1920x1200

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
People like Samsung Productions because it's Cheaper than Sony/Panasonic,and frankly their productions has some good quality but not like Sony's Tv,Personally i prefer Sony Tv's than Samsung.AMAZING PRODUCTIONS.
Sony overcharges because they're sony. The Aquos is nicer than the Bravia and it's priced much cheaper.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
a little bit more than I wanted to spend, but as Schum and Spyhop mentioned - if you want quality.....
Well hell, if you're finally starting to listen to me then just spend $300 on a 24" 1920x1200 monitor and just sit closer to it fool.

Stay away from Goldstar!

Just get a good name brand! You want a good life out of your screen don't you??

I would only add one brand to the list of good monitor makers that Spyhop put up - BENQ
Speaking as a longtime hardware vendor, LG makes brilliant panels, especially desktop panels. I always recommend LG over samsung for monitors. And BenQ is ass. Like, serious ass.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
They had like 45 icons and still TONS of Desktop space left over...
Once again, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with screen size. At all. Drop that mentality now.

Here are my 5 realistic choices if I want 42" and in a reasonable time frame...

(RETAIL) (BLACK) (LVQ-42EF1A) 42" WIDESCREEN LCD TV 799.99

RCA 42" 1080P LCD TV (WAL-MART ) 797.99

Insignia 42" 1080p LCD HDTV** (NS-LCD42HD-09) 769.99

Dynex 42" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV** (DX-LCD42HD-09) 729.99

LG 42" Flat-Panel LCD HDTV** (42LG30) 720p 849.99
Out of those I'd choose the LG in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even consider the others. If you want resolution, though, 720p is not the way to go.

-quality image
-cheap
-large screen
-high resolution.

You have to sacrifice one of these items because you can't have them all. I HIGHLY recommend you sacrifice on screen size, because I doubt you'd want to lose out on any of the other 3 points. It's by far better to have a quality smaller screen than a ****ty looking big screen.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
As you were told 1080P is 1920x1080....and graphics cards handle that resultion and far more....
What a TV does is stretch the output to the size of it's screen, so don't think the graphics card is having to render all of the huge space you see in 42 inces...all it's actually doing is outputting a 24inch 1920x1080 which is being stretched to 42 inches and above.

Resolution only determines size up to a point...after that the larger the monitor the more it stretches said resolution.

For instance your Tinitron may have the desktop covering all of it's 32inches...but in actuality (and this you see when you take a screenshot which you really shoud stop doing because it illustrates nothing) when you do then the actual image only end up at like 6 inches...that's because 6inches is being stretched to 32 inches.

And this is also the reason why the the image will be clearest on a PC monitor as it does 0 stretching.

That 42LG30 does seem to have 1080p support as well by the way. So if you are not willing to wait for the 42LG50 (and I have no idea what the difference is honestly) then get that.
omg dude, stop. You have no idea what you're talking about. Native res is native res, regardless of size. Resolution is screen size agnostic. There's no size a particular resolution is "meant for". The larger the screen is, the larger the pixels and dot pitch are and the futher away you'll have to sit not to notice it. But there's no "stretching".

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.