Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
441 - 460 of 1121 Posts

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #441 ·
Also, the reason I keep mentioning that WXGA sucks is because if you buy a flat screen TV with a native res of 1366x768 (WXGA), you might as well have just purchased a crappy $100 PC LCD screen. Settling with a 720p HDTV is also pointless because it's even lower resolution than WXGA.

So that Vision Queest was a WXGA...whatever that is.....???????

I may not have mentioned, I saw the Vision Quest 42" 1080i LCD TV at CBIT on Friday with a friend of mine....and it looked good.....

It was just a little bigger in surface area than the the Trinitron 32" Wega Tv I'm on now, a lot WIDER and Many, MANY times sharper....

CBiT - Computer Parts, Computers, Laptops, FTA, Service, Training, Networking, and more!

And this is 720p technically right???? Cause it's listed as 1080i at CBIT and it was very clear.... I could read the icons in the system Tray from a good 10 feet away....

Currently on the Trinitron I can barely read them at more that 4-5 feet away... and that coincidentally is where I SIT..... So yeah, mOFO, the human eye can read great detail - but it's gotta be readable first....something that is barely possible now , except for the big stuff...

but that's beside the point...

I should probably bring my Dad's laptop and a VGA cable to Futureshop and see how the 42LG30 (720p 42" TV) looks first before I buy or consider buying... Cause it's regular price is 850.00 and that's within my reach....maybe not this exact second, but very soon mind you....

The 42LG50 (1080p 42" TV) is 999.99-1099.99 which would put it out of my reach for a couple month's longer and I was kind of hoping to get this out of the way sooner....

By the way my folks have a Sony 40" Bravia and it's 1080p, but I measured it and even a Bravia or 40" ANYTHING would be 2 inches too short...

It's pretty sharp though...so that 1080p may be worth thinking about.....:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Correct.

And to expand on this topic, 1024x768 is a 4:3 resolution, but only if square pixels are used. Widescreen displays that have a 1024x768 native resolution use rectangular pixels to make them widescreen.
Ah, I've heard of those, but forgot about them. They're not really common, especially with plasma displays being phased out in favor of LCDs, so I assumed he was listing the more standard ones. I still think it's odd how you didn't mention 1280x720 though.

By the way, technically, 1024x768 is a 4:3 resolution no matter what. It's all in the math. Making the pixels rectangle may make it natively 1024x768 in a wide fashion, but it's still 1024 pixels wide, and 768 pixels tall, which has a 4:3 relationship. The fact that the pixels are rectangle does not change that. It just makes the image appear like it's widescreen, but it's still 4:3 stretched, only the "stretching" is due to the fact that the rectangle pixels make it appear wider than it "should be", not necessarily that the television stretches the image from one resolution to another.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Ive noticed something.....whenever Gameman decides to buy something, a 500+ post thread on said item is sure to follow

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
is this thread still life?....amazing.

Ps.Gameman i don't like your....
Normally this is irritating but now it made me rofl.

Gameman, i forgot to state the obvious, if you are going to get a hdtv and use it for computing, don't get a plasma.

There will probably be burn in eventually. The manufacturers certainly have reduced the burn in problem in recent years. But they haven't eliminated it. You are going to be using your computer for hours on end with the start menu on the screen. Eventually it will burn in. Get an LCD.

you also played a video of haruhi once on an hdtv and your wrist hurt for 2 days :nod: :)

Funny note about plasma tv's, in Europe the EU (European Union) wants to ban them, if they havent set there plan in to motion already.

Here's some reference:
"EU has apparently taken note of the power consumption levels of these machines, which can often be many times that of a traditional TV.It appears that the EU is currently looking at new regulations to stop the production of plasma screen TVs in favor of more eco-friendly products."

Nope. Many widescreen plasmas are 1024x768
I can also confirm this since i saw it with my own 2 eyes. (or was it 3 eyes i keep forgetting)

I am warning you for the umpteenth time. Do not buy a non-brand-name TV. I cannot stress this enough. You're going to end up with a color-less desaturated POS.
This has been said for the 1.000.000.000. time Gameman listen to them Non-Brand-Name TV's beside the the obvious color-less desaturated POS, they have very low quality build & low quality components (even if they may look nice in pics or on the shelves THEY AREN'T ACTUALLY ).
But in a 23 pages thread everyone Kept saying this to gameman (many times over and over again on every single page) and he didnt understood so i'm not hoping for a miracle here.

Ive noticed something.....whenever Gameman decides to buy something, a 500+ post thread on said item is sure to follow
:lol:

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Ah, I've heard of those, but forgot about them. They're not really common, especially with plasma displays being phased out in favor of LCDs, so I assumed he was listing the more standard ones. I still think it's odd how you didn't mention 1280x720 though.

By the way, technically, 1024x768 is a 4:3 resolution no matter what. It's all in the math. Making the pixels rectangle may make it natively 1024x768 in a wide fashion, but it's still 1024 pixels wide, and 768 pixels tall, which has a 4:3 relationship. The fact that the pixels are rectangle does not change that. It just makes the image appear like it's widescreen, but it's still 4:3 stretched, only the "stretching" is due to the fact that the rectangle pixels make it appear wider than it "should be", not necessarily that the television stretches the image from one resolution to another.
A 1024x768 display will only have a 4:3 aspect ratio if the individual pixels are 1:1 (square) When you make reference to all 1024x768 displays having an AR of 4:3, that is only true if square pixels are used.

Your math *does* work, but you're not taking into account the pixel aspect ratio(PAR), which affects a display's overall aspect ratio. Pics:

View attachment 202148

View attachment 202149

As you can see, the rectangular pixel's PAR will affect the overall AR of a display, even if two displays have the same resolution, but different PARs, affecting the display with the rectangular pixels' overall AR.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #447 ·
I am warning you for the umpteenth time. Do not buy a non-brand-name TV. I cannot stress this enough. You're going to end up with a color-less desaturated POS.
I assume you mean piece of ****, so I'll mention again, that If I want it to be by a major brand that basically leaves TWO that are 42"

the 42LG30 and the 42LG50

720p, and 1080p again

You don't have to worry, I'm not gonna drag this thread out for the extra 2 month's it would take to get the 1080p one, after I finally decide on a direction, I'll have it closed and let you know later what really transpires...

But If I want something now or in the next few weeks it's gonna have to be the 720p I'm afaraid...... It's still 1080i though which like I said ain't nothing to sneeze at considering what I'm on now.....

Just had a memeory: I just remembered how sharp and clear I thought the Trinitron was 2 years ago when I grabbed their last one for a quick 400.00...(Birthday Gift)

My Dad wanted to get me a HDTV back then, but I wanted the 4:3 ratio for my old Archie Bunker shows and Bob Newhart shows....

I should've listened, cause we wouldn't be having this conversation now.....:eyemove::eyemove::eyemove::eyemove::eyemove::eyemove:

Oh well, let's hope I don't make ANOTHER BONEHEADED DECISION....Tv-wise....

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Just had a memeory: I just remembered how sharp and clear I thought the Trinitron was 2 years ago when I grabbed their last one for a quick 400.00...(Birthday Gift)

My Dad wanted to get me a HDTV back then, but I wanted the 4:3 ratio for my old Archie Bunker shows and Bob Newhart shows....

I should've listened, cause we wouldn't be having this conversation now.....:eyemove::eyemove::eyemove::eyemove::eyemove::eyemove:

Oh well, let's hope I don't make ANOTHER BONEHEADED DECISION....Tv-wise....
You'll be feeling the same way again if you go with that 720p HDTV. 1080i is problematic as it makes text difficult to read. (interlacing artifacts) So 1080i is pretty much out the window when it comes to general PC usage...

I'm sure once you buy your new TV you'll enjoy it, but once you get used to it, you'll be able to walk into a store or go to a friend's house and see the difference between your TV and another TV. The difference between true 1080p and lower resolutions is significant.

Let me put it this way:

1080p >> 720p > 1080i > 480p > 480i(SD)

I put 720p above 1080i because as a PC display, interlacing artifacts are very noticeable. For video/movie watching, it's not too bad. Progressive scan formats(1080p, 720p) still look much better overall.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #449 · (Edited)
You'll be feeling the same way again if you go with that 720p HDTV. 1080i is problematic as it makes text difficult to read. (interlacing artifacts) So 1080i is pretty much out the window when it comes to general PC usage...

I'm sure once you buy your new TV you'll enjoy it, but once you get used to it, you'll be able to walk into a store or go to a friend's house and see the difference between your TV and another TV. The difference between true 1080p and lower resolutions is significant.

Let me put it this way:

1080p >> 720p > 1080i > 480p > 480i(SD)

I put 720p above 1080i because as a PC display, interlacing artifacts are very noticeable. For video/movie watching, it's not too bad. Progressive scan formats(1080p, 720p) still look much better overall.

Where's my magazine????? I gotta think about this again...

Sorry......

SERIOUSLY though, would this kind of **** come into play when attempting to Use Photoshop - Motion Blurring and Gradients etc..... Cause currently it SUCKS on the Trinitron.....I can't even design a decent race track with this piece of ****....

I gotta use the little Dell....And it SUCKS for size....

Are you talking about webpages etc here???? or just the Windows Desktop in general....Cause Microsoft Word looks fine on the Trnitron, but the Text is a little blurry...
ie - there is no difference between Bold and Normal Text....(can't do it)

So 1080p (and about 200.00 over) would mean this one from early last week....

Future Shop: TV & Video: 40"-49" TVs: LG 42" 1080p Widescreen LCD HDTV** (42LG50)
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

maybe...but that's a lotta waiting......:(:(:(:(

Ahaaaa So we're back to this one again........

Edit: I dunno, I may be jumping ahead here....I'm not sure if my financial "horses" are capable of covering that distance....:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

This is gonna be a close one.........

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
A 1024x768 display will only have a 4:3 aspect ratio if the individual pixels are 1:1 (square) When you make reference to all 1024x768 displays having an AR of 4:3, that is only true if square pixels are used.

Your math *does* work, but you're not taking into account the pixel aspect ratio(PAR), which affects a display's overall aspect ratio. Pics:

View attachment 202148

View attachment 202149

As you can see, the rectangular pixel's PAR will affect the overall AR of a display, even if two displays have the same resolution, but different PARs, affecting the display with the rectangular pixels' overall AR.
I know all of this. What I was saying though was that the resolution itself is still truly a 4:3 ratio no matter what, despite the physical dimensions of the screen being different.

Your talking about the aspect ratio of the physical screen dimension.

I'm talking about the true aspect ratio of the resolution.

I was calling it out for being "fake widescreen", especially if it's terrible enough to be as bad as the example you posted. A 1024x768 screen shaped as an 8:3 screen? Now that would look incredibly stretched/widened/fattened/whatever.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #451 ·
Was just at The Real Canadian Superstore and even they have TV's for sale.....

Son, the best I saw was truly dissappointing to say the least...

However one looks good....but it's by Cheap-Ass Brands Incorporated.....so to speak...

42" LCD HDTV 1080p by Daytek for 699.99 Canadian

42" Plasma HDTV 1080p by Vision Quest also 699.99

You sure the Daytek don't pass the GARBAGE test with you guys?????

Cause that's an awfully good deal..and actually a bit under budget.....

Although, I think I know the answer - crap....right...

Anyways, just thought I'd mention it incase any of you have one or have used one....

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #453 · (Edited)
Daytek is garbage.
That was concise....Thanks....I think.....

Looks like if Daddy here want's 1080p true progressive then he's S.O.L. - at least for now......

The only decent one that still pops up is the 42LG50 (1080p-42" LCD)....

It's too bad Plasma ain't viable.... because there's a 50" LG Plasma with a PC Input/VGA Connection for 900.00 on the nose at Visions....

I guess I can't avoid it, either way I'm looking at 1000.00 MINIMUM right????? unless I settle for 720p (42LG30)

Well there's also a 40" Samsung at Best buy

Samsung 40" Flat-Panel LCD HDTV** (LN40A450)

but I think it's 720p also and I'd be sacrificing SCREEN SIZE also..

Hey, on second thought - I ain't makin 2 sacrifices...

Here's something from the Daytek site...it says this.....
in regards to their bigger 46" 1080i display "* VGA card should support 1280 x 768 resolution. "

I imagine that's sheer CRAP too right?????

Cause IT IS higher than I can currently accomplish on the Trinitron CRT.....

remember only 800 by 600 decent and a ****TY 1024 by 768 at best....

Would Daytek not even last a year???

Oh, and have you tried it//?????

Joost Curious.....

I dunno I may be forced to make a sacrifice here and that's brand reliability....because there are several no-name brands all starting at 699.99 and up and they seem to be 1080p...

Atleast then I would have 1080 p and could use the extra hundred to extend the warrantee a year.....maybe two...

I only plan to have the tv 2-3 years anyway....at least before I "expect" it to break down....

Whereas if I go with the LG.Samsung, yeah I get the reliability, but I get a ****tier display....of only 720p/1080i

Like I said PRICE is obviously the sticking point here because the most I can reasonably come up with in a decent time frame is 799 - 850....and that's IF all the stars line up so to speak...

1080p WITH Quality name may be beyond my reach here...unlesss I wanna wait till the summer...

Once again I gotta think about this.....

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
You know what, I'm done answering your questions. You pretend to take our advice for only a moment before you circle back around to your original idea. You come here asking for input and yet here we are on page 23 and absolutely nothing has changed since your OP. 23 pages of people trying to recommend the best screen for your uses and your budget and 23 pages of you wasting our time.

So gl with your purchase, I don't care about what you get anymore. I think we'd all take it as a kindness if you didn't waste our time with future threads of this nature.

·
PC game modder
6,950 Posts
You sure the Daytek don't pass the GARBAGE test with you guys?????

Cause that's an awfully good deal..and actually a bit under budget.....

Although, I think I know the answer - crap....right...

Anyways, just thought I'd mention it incase any of you have one or have used one....
I already told you that I know of 7 that have bought that screen!

ALL 7 BROKE DOWN 1-4 MONTHS AFTER THE WARRANTY RAN OUT!

I am with Spyhop! He said it all perfectly!

Goodbye, I MAY take an interest in seeing what you got after you purchase just to see if I and others will get a lul! But other then that I am over trying to help!

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #456 · (Edited)
You're solely responsible for your OWN time their son.....I ain't forcin' you to reply/follow it....

I'm just telling you what my situation truly is....

Basically I've probably got two choices.....it'd be nice if I was rich like all you "kind" folks and could have the best with a warrantee and service and reliability and 1080p and all that bull****.....

but I ain't....

My TWO choices are:

1. 1080p by a ****ty name and taking the risk
2. 720 p by a reliable brand, but ****ty resolution...

Those are obviously my only 2 choices....

So I gotta give up one AS i HAVE NO CHOICE......

I'm leaning more towards the 1080 p because a few of you made such a big deal about 1080p - so at least I would have it....

Whereas the 720p - yeah it would last, but it COULD look like ****....

I wish I knew how to run a "POLL" here because this would be interesting to find out what more users would do GIVEN ONLY THESE TWO CHOICES

only these two..

If I had to choose this after noon it would be the Daytek/RCA because at least it's 1080p - they don;'t always break down you know....

However, if this thread has resulted in one thing, besides a lot of verbal abuse, then it would be to go for Quality... and Reliability...

And that would be the LG 42" 720p

Yes I know it's low res, but you can't have it all.....At least not in this case...

Don't worry, we're almost done here.....

but it's up to you, the less verbal abuse the better

I don't expect any of you to go out of you way to be nice though....

That would be asking too much....

·
PC game modder
6,950 Posts
The 720P one!

My very last post!!

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #458 ·

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
:lol: this hole thread is full of better and budget wise reply's gameman.

And this is probably the last advice you will receive because everyone else has had enough it seems, you better start reading these 23 pages again and rethink about what to purchase, because otherwise you'l come to regret it eventually (and you pretty much have in this thread all the info needed).

(though like till now i seriously doubt you will be capable of fallowing a good friendly advice)

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #460 · (Edited)
OK... here we go....

1. 42LG30 720p 799.99 - 1

2. Daytek 1080p 699.99 - 0

3. RCA 1080p 799.99 - (1 friend in city)

So far the 42LG30 and RCA 1080p are tied....and the Daytek has 0

This is good because the Vision Quest was 720 p from Friday and it looked STUNNING....but If I can get it by a good name,,then everybody's happy....

These may be my only replies or votes (recommendations ) but at least it gives me an opinion on what it is that I REALLY CAN AFFORD - instead of being chock full of all sorts of rediculous demands and being off the charts pricewise...

(though like till now i seriously doubt you will be capable of fallowing a good friendly advice)
I will when it is "friendly"....This is just plain hostile...:mad::mad::mad:

What do you think this is???? The Recycle Bin?????

441 - 460 of 1121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.