Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 1121 Posts

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Naw, I might be slightly misinformed on resolutions and distance stuff but I ain't wrong....

I just had a detailed look at the Vision - Quest Website and believe me this TV is coming home to Daddy...

It will be the first time I ever bought a TV intending it to be used as a computer monitor, but I'd rather have the Tuner and Speakers thrown in as well...that way it can serve two purposes...... Instead of JUST a computer monitor only.....

You've got to SEE it to believe it......

Beautiful............

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Because mate, I already USE a 32" monitor as my desktop, and except for the blurriness of small text I have been quite happy with it for 5 month now.
Your 32" is blurry because it's not HD. It's 640x480 interlaced. That's why your text is fuzzy. You will not have the same issue with either a 42" or 24" LCD.

You're probably still not convinced, but you'd almost have to spend a day "in my shoes" using this Huge Trinitron 32 to get the feeling I have here...
I've been all over the map computer hardware wise. When you see me digging in my heels to get a point across on an issue like this, it's usually because I have experience with it.

Like I said, I have actually SEEN it and it is definitely an improvemnt CLARITY-WISE over this makeshift Trinitron set-up I happened to have stumbled upon here...
I already gave you the reason for this. Your Trinitron is low res.

I realise you and great many users use small monitors or medium monitors, but for me after you've gone to 32" there's no going back....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Big-toy mentality nonsense. Sit AT your desk instead of 6' away from it and that 24" will seem just as big.

Last I heard, 1080i was nothing to sneeze at.....Especially compared to the current Trinitron
Okay....this is a whole new can of worms now.
Time for some teaching.

1080i = 1920 x 1080 interlaced
1080p = 1920 x 1080 progressive.

THAT BEING SAID....if the 42" TV you're looking at is being marketted at 1080i, not 1080p, then the native resolution on it is almost for sure 1360x768. All manufacturer's do this. They're saying the TV will accept a 1080i signal....but it won't actually display it, it will downscale to a lower resolution.

SO....if the TV you're looking at is 1080i, then the actual resolution on the TV is 1360x768 and a 24" LCD will be waaay better at 1920 x 1200.

If the TV you're looking at is 1080P, then it will be 1920 x 1080. Much better, but still not as high a resolution as a 24"

The problem here is that you're under the impression that since your 30" trinitron is low resolution, you must go to a bigger screen to get a higher res. This isn't true and in fact the higher resolution screen is smaller, not larger.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Mmm...

Make sure that LCD TV's native resolution actually is 1920x1080 progressive scan. If it's actually 1360x768, the TV will accept the higher resolution signal and just scale it down to 1360x768.

Oh, and also make sure it can actually do 1080p. 1080i makes it difficult to read text.

A friend of mine has a media PC. He's got it connected to a 56" LCD TV in his living room. He bought a wireless keyboard and mouse so he can surf the internet, play music, and playback movies and videos from his couch. I can't imagine putting that TV on a desk and being maybe 2 feet away (at most) from it while surfing the net or playing a game. It would be like going to see a movie and sitting in the front row. (you'd get a terrible crink in your neck :lol:)

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
do my links not work today/?????
I know you may think I've flipped and my head isn't working but at least the LINKS should work....

The TV I am considering is located here right at the Manufacturerrs Website:

VisionQuest Consumer Electronics - LVQ-42EF1A
The Physical TV, unless they run out of stock, which would be typical, is located here in Winnipeg....
CBiT - Computer Parts, Computers, Laptops, FTA, Service, Training, Networking, and more!

I Know for sure it isn't 1080P, but rather 1080i.....

It certainly has got to be a little better than what I got now, right?? Cause it could hardly be worse......

I dunno, I may have to make a trip there and see it again.....

Oh, and 1080 P would be nice, but keep in mind, I'm limited so I'm going for CHEAP here.....

A good one would probably be more than my computer here....

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
do my links not work today/?????
I know you may think I've flipped and my head isn't working but at least the LINKS should work....

The TV I am considering is located here right at the Manufacturerrs Website:

VisionQuest Consumer Electronics - LVQ-42EF1A
The Physical TV, unless they run out of stock, which would be typical, is located here in Winnipeg....
CBiT - Computer Parts, Computers, Laptops, FTA, Service, Training, Networking, and more!
That's a 1360x768 display. Comparatively low res compared to most desktop LCD displays.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
View attachment 201954

What I'm pointing out in the screenshot is that the TV doesn't truly support 1080i. (which I don't recommend anyway) As I mentioned in my previous post, the TV will accept a 1080i signal from your PC, but the TV will just scale it to 1366x768, making the interlacing artifacts very apparent. This will make it a pain in the @$$ to read text.

It would be wise to invest your money in a display that natively supports 1080p...

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
That's a 1360x768 display. Comparatively low res compared to most desktop LCD displays.
But c'mon it has to be better than my Trinitron--right??? or wrong??????

Like I said I may have to go and see it again before I buy...if I buy....:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

It would be wise to invest your money in a display that natively supports 1080p...
So whatr you're saying is at least $$$$$$2000.00 right????

That's a bigger hit than I'm willing to take for justa bloody computer monitor.......:(:(:(:(:(

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Yeah, it's a pretty big hit to the wallet, but by the sound of it, you're looking forward to a hi-res display.

If you buy that TV you're essentially just buy a big, crappy WXGA screen.

I'm just trying to help you out here. You can go ahead and buy the TV, but you'll be pretty disappointed with it when you can't read text clearly at 1080i.

I can try taking some pictures of my 1900x1200 laptop screen vs. my old Sony Bravia @ 1080i vs. the Bravia @ 1366x768 (native) resolution.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
But c'mon it has to be better than my Trinitron--right??? or wrong??????
Right...but by PC standards it's still pretty low-res.

So whatr you're saying is at least $$$$$$2000.00 right????

That's a bigger hit than I'm willing to take for justa bloody computer monitor.......:(:(:(:(:(
42" 1080P good brand name tv runs just over $1000 nowadays.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
R

42" 1080P good brand name tv runs just over $1000 nowadays.
Ok you got my attention now.....I'll look into this.....seeing as how you're located in Edmonton..:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

OMFG you're right!!!!!! at least I thing so...

LG is a good name (use their burners and DivX players))))

Is this more of what you or masta g had in mind by 1080p??????

Future Shop: TV & Video: 40"-49" TVs: LG 42" 1080p Widescreen LCD HDTV** (42LG50)

Pretty cheap I must admit......And this is in Canadian for Christs sake!!!!!!!!!!!

There might be hope after all...

Geez it even has a VGA input like the other one.....

·
You're already dead...
5,472 Posts
i have a 40" 1080p hdtv as my PC monitor and its awesome.

you do have to sit further away from it though (i sit like ~4 feet away).
also i turned the backlight all the way down, or else its way too bright.
especially on websites with white backgrounds.

but for gaming and watching anime, its awesome <3
(you need a powerful graphics card if you want to game at 1920x1080 though)

anyways its the best thing i've ever bought in my life, and i'm glad i bought it.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
YES!!!!!! A reccommendation from the master!!!!!!!!

That's great mate, oh and while you're here good work on PCSX 2.....

Can play 40 of my favorites flawlessly so far...

Keep it up........

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lo

anyways folks have a look at this if you got time.....

Future Shop: TV & Video: 40"-49" TVs: LG 42" 1080p Widescreen LCD HDTV** (42LG50)

I think it's an ass-kicking deal like my other idea.....but conforming may be a little more to what these other two guys were suggesting....

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Yeah, that's a much better choice. :thumb:

As cotton mentioned, gaming at 1080p can be pretty rough on your GPU, especially with newer games, but then again you could always switch resolution to 720p. (1280x720) I play most of my games at 1280x800 on laptop and the games look damn good.

If you have aliasing issues at that resolution, you can just activate AA. Shouldn't cause nearly as much of a speed hit for you as your video card is considerably more powerful than mine. -_-

EDIT: I noticed that TV also supports 960p too. Having that as an option is pretty cool. :)

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
EDIT: I noticed that TV also supports 960p too. Having that as an option is pretty cool. :)

Please enlighten me....I have no idea what 960 p is...... Something like 480p??????

I just hope it's similar to this price when I go to buy...

Even if it goes up to 1000 that would be fine, I'll just save more....but 800 would be nice for a much better picture.....

If it's truly HD like you said at 1080 P and not I, then I'd even go as high as 1200 Canadian....but that's the limit...

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
T_T

As I had mentioned in my previous post, if 1080p is too much for your GPU to handle for a particular game, you can switch to 720p. Since this TV has the option for 960p, that is a valid resolution option as well. (Higher resolution than 720p, but lower than 1080p, so it might run faster than 1080p while looking better than 720p.)

According to the specs, its native resolution is 1080p. Hell, I'd buy it. :)

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
I hate to admit it, but it's looking like you two were right, ..... Both of you arguing against me has led me to a much higher resolution TV that is affordable and TRULY HD......

I imagine I could set the resolution way higher with this LG deal and fit more crap on the screen than if I had just settled on the 1080i one and achieved onlu 1024 by 768 at the most.....

I hadn't even considered going for True HD cause I though it was 2000 to 3000 dollars... but this indeed opens a few doors......:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Reviews LG 42LG50 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV

Here's another one that's even cheaper than my original idea - although not by a major brand....

might be worth a look.....as long as it stays in the 700 range....
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926HDS0010108398&catid=24558

And another cheaper one....

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926HDS0010098249&catid=24558

Ahh, these sales are always going on, so I'm sure there'll be one for the right price when I'm ready to buy.......

They stand to only get cheaper........

and lastly....

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926HDS0010099580&logon=&langid=EN

I know we argued, but I wannna thank oyu Spyhop, Jeez I never realized these 1080 P TV's were so cheap these days...

This is beautiful.....

Oh, forgot this one - another reputable name...

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926HDS0010111557&catid=24558

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Gameman, if you want bigger and better, if you want to make cotton look like a little girl, get a 30 inch monitor. 2560-1600 resolution. it will runn you 900-1700. The LaCie LED runs $5,000 but that's a whole other story entirely.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thanks...

21 - 40 of 1121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.