Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
341 - 360 of 1121 Posts

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #341 · (Edited)
thanks for the reference to that Visions site....
never knew it existed....

This is a decent priced 50" TV
but of course it's PLASMA.....is that really such a no no for PC???

Cause it even comes with a PC input for only 800 something....

So the manufacturer seems to think it's ok for pc use......

Or is this B.S.???

LG 50" HDTV Widescreen Plasma Television: 50PG20 898.99

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/category/Details.aspx?menuId=2&categoryId=2&productId=2596

now this is a ****ing bargain...for 50" inches.....

that Toshiba one you mentioned also looks good, although a bit on the small side)

I wish these TV makers all stuck to a standard, that ways their's no ****ing around.....(pardon me)

Here's the same one Futureshop was offering earlier before the jacked the price back up...

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/category/Details.aspx?categoryId=14&productId=2593&menuId=2&parentId1=5&parentId2=%27%27&parentId3=%27%27&menuLevel=2

The 42LG50 again, although the sale ends on the 11th....

Interesting....thanks for this site - tthere may be hope yet.....

The samsung 50" Plasma seems to come with "Anti-Burn in" technology - could this possibly address the problem of screen burn were it used as a pc monitor - or am I barking up the wrong tree here???? Cause 50" is pretty sweet....

just a thought.....

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 ·
OK, were making good progress here, believe it or not.....

We're up to 3 Reputable brands all within my price range or thereabouts....

It's lookin better now....

LG 42" 1080p HDTV Widescreen LCD Television 998.99 - Visions

LG 42" Flat-Panel 720p LCD HDTV** (42LG30) 849.99 - Futureshop

Wal-Mart 42” 1080p RCA HDTV 799.99 – Wal-Mart

the bottom too are regular price - and it's lookin like "Uncle Sam" may get my dollar here (Wal-Mart) - although I'd prefer it be Visions or Futureshop for the service....

It's looking better here.....:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/storelocator/Canada-Electronic.jsp?selection=listingDetails&tabId=1&singledept=null&lang=&assetId=35284&imageId=49592&suggestedItem=&priceType=1&page=null&departmentId=63&categoryId=350&tabId=1

Plus I could 3 years coverage for 98.00 bucks - interesting....

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
RCA isn't that great with lcd tvs, reliability is maybe maybe maybe okay, but image quality sucks. They are just a bit above some of those bargan brands. THere is a reason the RCA is so cheap.

LG is perhaps one of the least reliable brands of all the top major manufacturers.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #344 · (Edited)
LG is perhaps one of the least reliable brands of all the top major manufacturers.

I use two LG Burners and a DivX player by them and I've never had anything break down by them......

I've been very satified (personally) with LG over the years.....

But that's my opinion.......

All I can say is nothing I've ever had by them has broken down/malfunctioned...ever....

JVC and RCA on the other hand.....

If I had to do it now I'd probably be willing to bet on the LG 42" 720p LCD, the LG 1080p LCD 42" or even the Samsung and/or LG 50" Plasma 1080p HDTV....(both 900.00)

because personally I trust them and all 3 are in my budget...sort of.....

The rCA was, but if you say it's B.S. well ok then but even allthese 4 aforementioned have gottab be better than say Vision Quest/Dynex/Insignia/Prima etc right?????

Because if you want quality you gotta pay....

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/detail/spec.do?group=tv&type=tv&subtype=plasma&model_cd=PN50A650T1FXZC

I dunno, these Two plasmas seem like a great bargain and it's considerably bigger....

The reason the screen burn might not concern me, is that they both come with pc-links/ VGA inputs so obviously the manufacturer wasn't concerned with screen burn on a pc...

Although you never know - maybe that's just so you'll burn it out and be forced to buy ANOTHER one....

At 50" and within my budget for the most part these two plasma's look awfully tempting too....

I'll have to research plasma's furthur....

Edit: well maybe perhaps not, 50" is pushing it and PLASMA for christs sakes....

Oh well.....

But the LG 720p 42" and the LG 1080p 42" I could like do...if it has to be a reliable brand.....

And yes, of course the Samsung if I were to go down to 40" - I just don't wanna lose screen size....

Now that I think of it 720p for a name like LG ain't that bad....

Time for some serious thinking....where's my magazine?????

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Can any desktop computer graphics card even output 1080p??????

I heard it only does 720p at best...therefore TRUE HDTV ain't attainable, at least not off your computer anyway...... and believe me that's what it'll be hooked up to....

Don't have a Blu-ray player or other HDMI source or whatever... or a PS3 for that matter.......
As you were told 1080P is 1920x1080....and graphics cards handle that resultion and far more....

That 42LG30 does seem to have 1080p support as well by the way. So if you are not willing to wait for the 42LG50 (and I have no idea what the difference is honestly) then get that.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
As you were told 1080P is 1920x1080....and graphics cards handle that resultion and far more....
What a TV does is stretch the output to the size of it's screen, so don't think the graphics card is having to render all of the huge space you see in 42 inces...all it's actually doing is outputting a 24inch 1920x1080 which is being stretched to 42 inches and above.

Resolution only determines size up to a point...after that the larger the monitor the more it stretches said resolution.

For instance your Tinitron may have the desktop covering all of it's 32inches...but in actuality (and this you see when you take a screenshot which you really shoud stop doing because it illustrates nothing) when you do then the actual image only end up at like 6 inches...that's because 6inches is being stretched to 32 inches.

And this is also the reason why the the image will be clearest on a PC monitor as it does 0 stretching.

That 42LG30 does seem to have 1080p support as well by the way. So if you are not willing to wait for the 42LG50 (and I have no idea what the difference is honestly) then get that.
omg dude, stop. You have no idea what you're talking about. Native res is native res, regardless of size. Resolution is screen size agnostic. There's no size a particular resolution is "meant for". The larger the screen is, the larger the pixels and dot pitch are and the futher away you'll have to sit not to notice it. But there's no "stretching".

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Gameman said:
....Stuff....

What i've heard is just in regards to their HDTVs. Don't take my advice as lore though, while LG being less reliable HDTVs is what i've heard a bit of as I've been working in an elecrtronics department for a bit now, I'd do a bit of research on the net if i were you on your particular model of LG you are looking for and see if there are lots of complaints.

I know LG is one of the higher quality COMPUTER LCD monitor manufacturers. So that does clash a little with what i've heard.
Apparently LG used to be named goldstar and goldstar was a cheapo brand.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
omg dude, stop. You have no idea what you're talking about. Native res is native res, regardless of size. Resolution is screen size agnostic. There's no size a particular resolution is "meant for". The larger the screen is, the larger the pixels and dot pitch are and the futher away you'll have to sit not to notice it. But there's no "stretching".

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Oh, so the pixels are just larger?

And because I have a smaller screen I have smaller pixels and thus see 1920x1080 only as like 10inches in width rather than a whole 42 inches as it would be on 42 inch HDTV Gameman is considering?

Stretching or Squashing did happen with CRT TVs though did it not?

Thanks for the info though, it's far from my area of expertise and all knowledge I had in that area was guestimated.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Yes, that's because of the dot pitch/pixel size, but Spyhop is right that resolution and screen size are not officially related in any way.

No, stretching does not happen, LCD or CRT, period, unless the source and resolution the television wants to display at are different.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #352 · (Edited)
SCHUMI-4-EVA said:
Your Tinitron may have the desktop covering all of it's 32inches...but in actuality (and this you see when you take a screenshot which you really shoud stop doing because it illustrates nothing) when you do then the actual image only end up at like 6 inches...that's because 6inches is being stretched to 32 inches.

I dunno, he could have been a little off on this one, but it makes sense to me.... Did,'t honestly think the pixels were that big....but then again, judging from the blurriness and lack of Definition on the Trinitron when it comes to text and Icon definition I didn't think they were honestly that SMALL either...

The guy at the store toplld me it was1080p or maybe he just meant "support" of 1080p, so 720p might be good enough, considering it's coming from LG and all it has to do is serve as a computer monitor.....

A friend of mine claims that the human eye is not capable of even detecting the difference between 1080i and 1080p anyway?????? So we're all being hypnitized by the manufacturers here in this regard...

720p could be honestly all I need, cause it's certainly all I can afford (except of course for the no-name 1080p's ).
ALSO, and the better known RCA is only 799.99 - we had a RCA 20" TV in the 1980's - I seem to recall it lasting a good 12 years before it totally went to Hell

died or became unwatchable after say 1992/1993 I think:dead::dead::dead::dead:

The funeral was by BFI :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

edit:

This is now lookin like the one besides that RCA one....Both are npw 799.99 - except of course the RCA is 1080p and it comes from Wal-Mart - the big big box retailer..

LG LCD Flat Panel - Model 42LG30: TV|Audio|Video > LCD Flat Panel > 42LG30

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Yeah sorry, the info displayed was wrong on their site :( It is only 720p

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 ·
Like I said, I've still got a few weeks at least so I'm THINKING of it....If I want anything that's 1080p and 1920 by 1080 it's gonna be 1000 MINIMUM...that's all

Except for that RCA one....

Like I said We had a 20" RCA Television when I was growing up (years ago)....It lasted I think about 12-13 years....although it could've been as little as 8....

BUT THE POINT IS IT LASTED...

All the RCA would have to last is 2-3 years, cause their'll be something bigger or BETTER out by then anyway..

Probably with a Resolution of like 100,000 X 200,000 200,000p or something??????

·
PC game modder
6,950 Posts
Like I said, I've still got a few weeks at least so I'm THINKING of it....
Does this mean we still have several weeks of your dragging this thread out?:hdbash:

I don't think any of my similar threads went past 2 pages!

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #357 ·
Does this mean we still have several weeks of your dragging this thread out?:hdbash:
I ain't draggin nothing out. That's totally up to YOU.....

I'm just bbouncing different ideas around here because the final decision is gonna determine how much CASH I need to borrow, WHERE I buy it from and exactly what model it is that I eventually end up settling for...

And I don't intend to "settle".....

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #359 ·
God!!!!!! I didn't know you were actually there!!!!!!!

Mate, that's EXACTLY how it went...so to speak....

Flames and all...

·
PC game modder
6,950 Posts
341 - 360 of 1121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.