Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
221 - 240 of 1121 Posts

· Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 · (Edited)
Ok folks, so we're back to this again..... The LG/Goldstar HDTV at 1080p...

That wouldn't be my worst choice.......I kinda like it...good company....

Now that we're settled on a BRAND and a resolution (1080p) any feedback regarding this TV/similar cheaper/better TV's would be appreciated.....

I don't mean disuading me from the 42" I mean disuading me from perhaps this brand/rsolution/supplier etc..... Perhaps I should have made that clear in the beginning and saved myself 4 days....

Anyways and feedback on LG/Goldstar - 1080p42"'s besides runawayprisoner's, cottonvibes's and mOFO's would be much appreciated....

And anyone else using the Bravia's besides raksmey by the way.....(providing it's affordable- and not to "the moon" ) would be nice....

Here's the current one, besides the Rembrandt and Dynex that's up on "the block" for consideration - future planning....

Future Shop: TV & Video: 40"-49" TVs: LG 42" 1080p Widescreen LCD HDTV** (42LG50)

a little bit more than I wanted to spend, but as Schum and Spyhop mentioned - if you want quality.....

....I guess....

@Lord Zedeck: I respect your opinions. I know we can argue about the games all day, but lets don't :).
Oh!! But it's perfectly acceptable for you all to argue with me and put me down and make me feel like a complete ****ing idiot...right?????

You know I do have SOME intelligence and am somewhat familiar with electronics/hardware....

I'm not totally NEW you know.....:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

It's the PC's and 1080p TV's I'm NEW to...

I've been around PC's and TV's all my life....

· PC game modder
12,998 Posts
Stay away from Goldstar!

Just get a good name brand! You want a good life out of your screen don't you??

I would only add one brand to the list of good monitor makers that Spyhop put up - BENQ

The reason people are getting frustrated with you is that for 12 pages now people have been trying to give you good advice on brands and reliability and you are ignoring there comments!

So I ask you a question Gameman? Why should they continue to help you?

· Registered
8,815 Posts
a little bit more than I wanted to spend, but as Schum and Spyhop mentioned - if you want quality.....
Well hell, if you're finally starting to listen to me then just spend $300 on a 24" 1920x1200 monitor and just sit closer to it fool.

Stay away from Goldstar!

Just get a good name brand! You want a good life out of your screen don't you??

I would only add one brand to the list of good monitor makers that Spyhop put up - BENQ
Speaking as a longtime hardware vendor, LG makes brilliant panels, especially desktop panels. I always recommend LG over samsung for monitors. And BenQ is ass. Like, serious ass.

· PC game modder
12,998 Posts
Well i have a soft spot for BenQ and have known several people that own one and have heard no probs as of yet!

But with the "No-Name" brands I know again of several people that have had big probs!

I ain't saying BenQ is the best! I know they are not! But they are certainly far more reliable then a "no-name" brand

· Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
The reason people are getting frustrated with you is that for 12 pages now people have been trying to give you good advice on brands and reliability and you are ignoring there comments!

So I ask you a question Gameman? Why should they continue to help you?
Read closely....it was never originally about brand/relieability...It started with Spyhop and it was about the actual TV itself.....

I just finished saying "that was never the question"/up for debate.....the original question, at least in my mind, was WHICH TV/which brand....this didn't start coming up till well into the thread......

Don't you think that if I HAD WANTED A COMPUTER MONITOR I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A ****ING COMPUTER MONITOR.....

Christ!! I could have one in 2 days...

But that wasn't the question....not even remotely....

The question was which tv - or is this tv any good??????

we didn't get around to addressing Rembrandt/Samsung till about a page or two ago....

I must've asked the question wrong/worded it wrong, cause this is a lot of negativity/nay-sayism for nothing....

Yeah - I'll take the blame/fall for that, but this really is unproductive....

· Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
Well hell, if you're finally starting to listen to me then just spend $300 on a 24" 1920x1200 monitor and just sit closer to it fool.

Speaking as a longtime hardware vendor, LG makes brilliant panels, and BenQ is ass. Like, serious ass.
I'd suggest going with the higher end of the 24" 1920x1200 lcds. The ones that have the hdmi port so thatyou could hook up multiple devices.

I like this one. Seen it in Best Buy. The Samsung 245T. Comes with Picture in picture and an hdmi so you can hook up multiple devices.
AnandTech: Samsung 245T: LCD Prime

· Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·

· PC game modder
12,998 Posts
I ain't talking about whether you buy a 2 inch screen or a 2000inch screen. I just mean that you are looking at some shocking brands and one thing a lot of people have noticed is that "reliability" is something that not many tv's have.

I feel that reliability is the most important factor in choosing a screen and nothing should take a ack-seat to that

He is saying BENQ is a bad brand too!

I actually don't mind them, but I know I am mostly alone on that subject

If you choose a monitor from the "Spyhop Monitor Approval" list you can't go wrong!

Sharp, Samsung, Toshiba, LG, Panasonic, Sony.
I call for a Spyhop approval logo on all good monitors that Spyhop supports!:thumb:

· Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 · (Edited)
Let me put it another way.....

What I originally wanted was a 37-42 inch computer monitor, but since that doesn't exist, nobody makes em, that leaves me with the HDTV's....

From what I hear they are comparable in resolution....
but as they said at London Drugs to me, "PC Monitors " have a much higher resolution....

The reason I'm willing to settle for a TV (42) turned pc-monitor is this:
a) they don't make PC monitors this big, at least not Dell/HP etc
b) the resolution of the tv is still 1000 by 1900 something comparable to a monitor...

c) it's easier for me to make a tv do double duty as a pc monitor, than it is for a 28 inch pc monitor to do double duty as a tv.....sucks, and I've seen it...not good....

That's just the tip of the iceberg for my reasoning....

d) I use the Trinitron now at 800 by 600 and even it looks good as I am typing this - therefore it stands to reason that even a ****ty 1080i (1300x700) by Vision Quest would be a vast improvement over such setup....

e) I do a lot of Photoshop work ie designing games/ race tracks etc and if you know anything about graphic arts - designers love a big monitor....

I could go on forever, but I'd rather gather opinions on quality/cheaper tv's etc than get bogged down in this again.....

I call for a Spyhop approval logo on all good monitors that Spyhop supports!:thumb:
Does the LG Goldstar 1080p from Futureshop that I displayed MANY MANY times meet with your approval?????

Schum4eva seems to like it......

though I may still be tempted to go for the Dynex if I can find more good reviews.....

· PC game modder
12,998 Posts
therefore it stands to reason that even a ****ty 1080i (1300x700) by Vision Quest would be a vast improvement over such setup....
Yes agreed! But the brand is crap and you will be LUCKY if it does not break down in 13mths (Just after the warranty runs out) and you will be left to buy another monitor again!

Do you want to be buying 42inch LCD's every year?

though I may still be tempted to go for the Dynex if I can find more good reviews.....
You have been told quite a few times to avoid that one! You don't listen to good do you?

· Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Yes agreed! But the brand is crap and you will be LUCKY if it does not break down in 13mths (Just after the warranty runs out) and you will be left to buy another monitor again!

Do you want to be buying 42inch LCD's every year?
so we're back to Quality now......well at least we're talking about the same thing here....

What's YOU're feeling on the LG 42" 1080p???????

Cause that's about the only one I'm left with - good cause they gots lots in stock....

· PC game modder
12,998 Posts
No prob with it

After-all its on the Spyhop approval list;)

· Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Well I had a moment to contemplate and what I come up with is this:...

The only way I could possibly meet all the above specifications , no to mention my own, would be to go with the LG/Goldstar 1080p from Futureshop.ca...

This is the highest quality one possible, a true 1080p a 1900 by 1000 something resolution, cheap, by a reliable brand and instock currently or at least for a while at Futureshop and probably everywhere....

Well, this is the best I can do for the price so any comments/criticisms...

or better yet, any of you have one??????

That's the conclusion.....I'm still gonna look at various tv's tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure LG makes the most sense.....

· Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
c) it's easier for me to make a tv do double duty as a pc monitor, than it is for a 28 inch pc monitor to do double duty as a tv.....sucks, and I've seen it...not good....
That right there is the only reason why I have started going along with your plan.

Why do you keep calling LG, Gold Star by the way? LG is LG and Gold Star is some brand I have never heard of...

Yes, I like that monitor a lot, far more than anything else you have shown and reviews on it (at least on that site) seem great and so is it's rating. I highly doubt you will find BETTER for cheaper.

· Banned
2,548 Posts
put me down and make me feel like a complete ****ing idiot...right?????
Thats because you are constantly ignoring our advice. We are trying to have some sanity and offer genuine help here. What you are doing is entirely the contrary: "asking" for help when it seems obvious you don't want any. And then doing something entirely ridiculous.

So, what are we meant to do? Listen and "help" you with this idea of a 42 inch screen and let you deal then with the consequences of a bad purchase? Or are you really a troll?

and if you really been around PCs and TVs all your life, you would know some things about what you are doing is unpractical at best.

seeing as you never listen, I am just going to stop trying to help.

Goodbye.

I just want PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!
Got news for you: nothings perfect. Sorry to shatter your world, but thats a fact. Not even that 42" screen is perfect.....

Are you going to then dump the screen when a "better" one comes out?

· PC game modder
12,998 Posts
I agree 100% with Schumi!

Stop looking Gameman, you have found your new screen!

Don't let ANYONE at the store change your mind!

· Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
I agree 100% with Schumi!

Stop looking Gameman, you have found your new screen!

Don't let ANYONE at the store change your mind!
As you know by now I'm good at sticking to a plan...... but I'm gonna be seeing a lot of tv's tomorrow so we'll see...

By the Way....What the Hell is "server fail"??????

Did the forum go down while I was out?????:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

· Professional OC'er
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 · (Edited)
Are you going to then dump the screen when a "better" one comes out?
Of course........that's known as "upgrading".......

But hopefully not immediately or at least for 2 years......

I plan to upgrade this Pc in only a year or two.....

He was saying server fail because the forum double posted his message and then didn't delete the duplicate or automerge :D

Where did UU buy a monitor that high in Canada???????

221 - 240 of 1121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.