Next Generation Emulation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1121 Posts

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, Cid suggested it so here goes....(not the TV, the thread)

I'm getting a new monitor for my Super Build and I want it to be as BIG as possible because using this Trinitron as my monitor I have goten used to Big Icons...and I like the size of it.....Very easy on the eyes... (at least to me)

I had this TV in mind and was wondering whether any of you users have personal experience with this TV and can shed some light on it....

And Furthurmore is it a strain on your vision - not that I wanna know....

Would I be throwing my moneyt awway here? or is this a solid purchase..

Thanks mate....

CBiT - Computer Parts, Computers, Laptops, FTA, Service, Training, Networking, and more!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
☭Paragon of Omnipotence☭
226 Posts
well personally i think anything more than 19" as a monitor cud be harmful for ur eyes. TV is ok coz u don't watch it the whole day. But as a monitor definately a NO.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well personally i think anything more than 19" as a monitor cud be harmful for ur eyes. TV is ok coz u don't watch it the whole day. But as a monitor definately a NO.
ok.........................:???::???::???::???::???:

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you wanted to tie your TV setup into it and make some kind of UBERENTERTAINMENTSTATION!! Then I could see your point.

That's exactly what I wanna do...

I'm already doing it with ththe 32" Trinitron.....It's just that during the day it serves as a PC Monitor....

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Gameman, you don't want a big TV as a monitor.
The whole "bigger TV" mentality is only as valid as your distance from the screen. If you're sitting at a desk with a 42" screen, that's far more surface area than your eyes are capable of viewing, and you'll be moving your head all over the place. It will annoy the crap out of you, but you'll tell everyone it's awesome because you don't want to admit you made a mistake....which will then lead some people to think it's awesome and make the same error.

You can only see what you can see. Anything beyond that you're just getting for boasting purposes. "Mine's bigger than yours"

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Mate, it couldn't be heavier than the Trinitron - or just barely, the Trinitron Wega weighs in at 400 LBS........almost.....It took 3 of us to lift it up onto the stand......and two of us hurt our backs......

Gameman, you don't want a big TV as a monitor.
The whole "bigger TV" mentality is only as valid as your distance from the screen. If you're sitting at a desk with a 42" screen, that's far more surface area than your eyes are capable of viewing, and you'll be moving your head all over the place. It will annoy the crap out of you, but you'll tell everyone it's awesome because you don't want to admit you made a mistake....which will then lead some people to think it's awesome and make the same error.

You can only see what you can see. Anything beyond that you're just getting for boasting purposes. "Mine's bigger than yours"
Naw, I didn't want it to BOAST, I've been using the 32" Trinitron for 5 months now and my visions still 20/20...... It just makes my neck a little sore after 8 hours of staring that's all...

It actually serves a purpose...... I tried to go back to the 19" two weeks ago when I was ruuning those 3D Mark tests and I couldn't take it......Sure it was clearer, but WAYYYYYYYYYY to small......

Naw, I'm used to Big.....

And now I want BIGGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I've been using the 32" Trinitron for 5 months now and my visions still 20/20...... It just makes my neck a little sore after 8 hours of staring that's all...
I said nothing about big tv's affecting your vision, although big TVs are brighter because they expect people to be viewing it from at least 5 feet away.

My point was that you only have so much field of vision, and a 42" screen viewed from a foot or two away, will exceed that field. Simply put, if you have to move your head to look around your screen, it's too big. Get a display that will just nicely fill your field of view.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My point was that you only have so much field of vision, and a 42" screen viewed from a foot or two away, will exceed that field. Simply put, if you have to move your head to look around your screen, it's too big. Get a display that will just nicely fill your field of view.
I forgot to mention that there's a Huge Custom made computer desk between me and the TV...and last time I measured a good 5-6 feet distance between my eyes and the TV......

As I said in another previous thread, it's not like I'm right up close to it staring up...... I know what my eyes can take...... The only thing that ever bothers me is mental overload....but I think that's something else......

The most I ever have to move my head, and I'll admit sometimes I do, is one or two milimeters.....very slightly, but it's not like I'm craning my next to see one end of the desktop to the other...... It is a lot if you're focus isn't trained but once you zero in it's just like any other monitor.....

Overload is the big enemy... but it's all in your head and I'm good at fighting that kind of crap....

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Naw, I've used my parents 22" Widescreens on their SLOWER computers and I find it too small.....not enough desktop space (in my mind)...and they got the resolution almost as low as I got it on the TV with big icons etc.....

In fact my Dad is so cramped for desktop space he's got DUAL MONITOR and it still doesn't fit all on the screen...

I know it may no better if I keep my resolution the same, but at least with a WideScreen HDTV I will be able to set the resolution MANY MANY times higher than what I got now.....

So more icons and Windows can fit on the screen.... At least that's my theory... I should probably go to the store and try it out before I buy...

They have a Windows Desktop with XP Pro on it and about 3 times as many icons as I can currently fit on this 1024 by 700 TV I have now........

I could fit a LOT of **** on a desktop that big......:eyemove::eyemove::eyemove::eyemove::eyemove:

Also see here: (Not as big, but similar...)
VisionQuest Picasso LVQ-32HLB LCD TV - 32", 16x9, 1080i, HDMI, 1366 x 768, 1200:1, ATSC, NTSC in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Besides, did I not mention that it comes with a VGA/Mac PC Connection/???? So obviously it's meant for this...:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

I don't think I'm the first to have this idea......

Besides, doesn't user "mOFO" have one??????

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Naw, I've used my parents 22" Widescreens on their SLOWER computers and I find it too small.....not enough desktop space (in my mind)...and they got the resolution almost as low as I got it on the TV with big icons etc.....
Poor argument. Desktop space is proportional to resolution and size. Given the same resolution, only size is a factor....and if you keep backing up so many feet the more you increase your screen size, then screen size fails to be an argument as well.

Comparing your 42" TV at 1920x1080 and the 24" I mentioned at 1920x1200, resolution is the same...or same enough. So a desktop will fill the same amount of screen, ratio-wise, regardless of using a 24" or 42".

Whether you're sitting close to a 24" or far away from a 42" (stupid btw), size of desktop is no argument between the two.

In fact my Dad is so cramped for desktop space he's got DUAL MONITOR and it still doesn't fit all on the screen...
Again....going to a 42" screen will not change this for you. The resolution is the same. The icons will just look bigger, which will be moot because you're sitting further away.

but at least with a WideScreen HDTV I will be able to set the resolution MANY MANY times higher than what I got now.....
No you won't. A 1080P TV is 1920x1080. A 24" LCD monitor is 1920x1200.

So more icons and Windows can fit on the screen.... At least that's my theory...
Theories are based in fact, and all your facts are wrong.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
The only way in which it could be harmful is when you either have a too small monitor (1), a too bright one(2), or don't have enough distraction(3).

1. With a too small monitor you have to focus on what's on screen way too much, making it uncomfortable for your eyes to read.

2. Some monitors are simply way too bright, it hurts your eyes which can never be a good sign. Always make sure there's enough environment light and I doubt there's any risk.

3. You're constantly staring at the same distance, I notice myself that my eyes are getting lazy because of it, which is not a good thing. I don't know how much scientific claims can be done about this, but it's good to just look at something else from time to time. Typing blindly and having a window next to your deks helps a lot ;)

As for the square eyes your mother may have scared you with.

Yes, it's a myth, please don't worry ;)

Anyway, I'm having a 24" screen and I have more than enough desktop space, since it's actually just a temporary storage place for most stuff. I don't like having too many icons there. My start menu will do for shortcuts, desktop is just redundant. Games I start through my Ati Tray Tools taskbar.

As for the TV, if it's the setup you have in mind gameman, make sure it's at least at the proper height so that you have some sort of ergonomics done right. It would certainly not be my preferred setup, since I'd rather have a regular monitor closer by. I'm interested in a picture of your current setup btw :)

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
TVs have their own filter engines and color management engines that can output better visuals than PC monitors. Hence the heftier price tag. :p

Arguably... a 22" monitor at 1920 x 1200 might sound better than a 46" LCD at 1920 x 1080, but that's not necessarily the case since the TV itself still has a filter engine. And if it is a premium TV (Sony or Samsung and the likes) then you can expect full-range RGB, super white, super dark, and a richer color scale. Also arguably significantly higher contrast ratio.

And a 42" LCD as your computer monitor is fine. If not, they wouldn't have made the PS3 to be able to output to that kind of LCD. :p I run Linux on my PS3 with a 46" LCD even.

Oh yeah, and LCD or plasma displays may not be too heavy. For instance, my family's Sony Bravia doesn't seem to exceed 100 lbs. Or at least I can lift her up, alone, without straining my back.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Theories are based in fact, and all your facts are wrong.
Ok, you might have me there, but I DO KNOW this......

Fact: it's definitely bigger than a 24" and what I have now (1024 by 700 Trinitron at 480p

That Vision Quest 42" HDTV will fit many more icons on it than I can now or probably the same as that 24" you mentioned only bigger....resulting in a much bigger visual treat.....so to speak....

Besides I wouldn't just use it as a desktop browser - I fully intend to play the newer widescreen enabled video games, a little PCSX 2 (by the way, in which I'll also gain) and all my Widescreen High Def Movies....

I'll admit the physical desktop space here may be proportional as you say, but not the resolution....

I have tried setting my parents Widescreen monitors up a notch or two and the clarity stays roughly the same but the number of icons you can fit on your screen sometimes doubles or even triples....

I do have to admit, I probably would keep it at a lower resolution to make the icons bigger, so you're right desktop space is no argument, but the CLARITY is more what I'm after here...

Becasue I have been using this Trinitron for almost 5 month's here and I'm sick of having to go right up to the screen/ switch to the 19" Dell to see what the fine print says... in some webpages/sites.....

Rmember: "Clarity" - that's the underlying issue for me.. the resolution can be 800 by 600 for all I care!!!!!!!!!!!!! So long as I can see it....

Honestly, I ain't ready for 1900 by 1200 something or whatever it was that you mentioned....

.....just "Clarity"......

The size is fine with me - I got good eyes.......:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Banned
23,263 Posts

Why do you even bother replying. :rolleyes:

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'm interested in a picture of your current setup btw :)
I've been meaning too..

When I get a chance to borrow the digital, I'll snap a few.......It actually looks quite good and since I'm now upright at a desk instead of laying down it's certainly Ergonomic.....

Naw, I'm quite pleased here, except for the slight bluriness of the TV at times....

I'ven got dual monitor, but it's on the smaller 19" Dell and I find it too distracting.... The current TV, if I didn't know that better resolutions and pictures are available, would be fine with me for the rest of my life....except for some of the blurriness....

And a 42" LCD as your computer monitor is fine. If not, they wouldn't have made the PS3 to be able to output to that kind of LCD. :p I run Linux on my PS3 with a 46" LCD even.
Thanks for the reply...haven't seen you in ages.....

Are you serious a 46" WideScreen????

You must be at least 4 or 5 feet away to be able to see it all like me right?????:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Naw, I got good eyes, I LOVE my setup!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like some Administrator or CEO in a multimedia office......

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Ok, you might have me there, but I DO KNOW this......

Fact: it's definitely bigger than a 24"
A fact rendered moot by sitting 6 feet away. A 24" at 1 foot will fill your field of view just as well.

That Vision Quest 42" HDTV will fit many more icons on it than I can now or probably the same as that 24" you mentioned only bigger....resulting in a much bigger visual treat.....so to speak....
It won't "fit more icons" than the 24". Point in fact, it will fit slightly less. The 24" as a slightly higher res. Your "visual treat" point is also moot because of the aforementioned distance from your screen. I don't know why you're not getting this concept, but 6 feet from a 42" screen is pretty much the same as 1-1.5 feet away from a 24". If it fills your vision, it fills your vision.

I'll admit the physical desktop space here may be proportional as you say, but not the resolution....
A 1080P HD TV will be LOWER resolution than a 24" LCD screen.
1080P = 1920x1080
24" LCD = 1920x1200

I have tried setting my parents Widescreen monitors up a notch or two and the clarity stays roughly the same but the number of icons you can fit on your screen sometimes doubles or even triples....
Behaviour that has absolutely nothing to do with screen size and everything to do with resolution.

I do have to admit, I probably would keep it at a lower resolution to make the icons bigger, so you're right desktop space is no argument, but the CLARITY is more what I'm after here...
How does it follow that a larger screen is going to net you a clearer picture?

Becasue I have been using this Trinitron for almost 5 month's here and I'm sick of having to go right up to the screen/ switch to the 19" Dell to see what the fine print says... in some webpages/sites.....
A problem which can be solved by simply sitting at your computer desk to begin with.

Rmember: "Clarity" - that's the underlying issue for me.. the resolution can be 800 by 600 for all I care!!!!!!!!!!!!! So long as I can see it....

Honestly, I ain't ready for 1900 by 1200 something or whatever it was that you mentioned....
You do realize that ANYTHING not displayed at native resolution on an LCD (TV, monitor, or otherwise) is going to look like ****, right?

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
It won't "fit more icons" than the 24". Point in fact, it will fit slightly less. The 24" as a slightly higher res. Your "visual treat" point is also moot because of the aforementioned distance from your screen. I don't know why you're not getting this concept, but 6 feet from a 42" screen is pretty much the same as 1-1.5 feet away from a 24".
Because mate, I already USE a 32" monitor as my desktop, and except for the blurriness of small text I have been quite happy with it for 5 month now.

AND I have actually been to the computer store (CBIT) and seen this 42" Vision Quest showing a Windows XP Desktop with nice big CLEAR icons and I know it's just what I want.... I f I was just guessing in the dark based only on this Trinitron and false insights then I wouldn't even be putting my pennies away for this big purchase to begin with....

I don't know..

You're probably still not convinced, but you'd almost have to spend a day "in my shoes" using this Huge Trinitron 32 to get the feeling I have here...

Like I said, I have actually SEEN it and it is definitely an improvemnt CLARITY-WISE over this makeshift Trinitron set-up I happened to have stumbled upon here...

I realise you and great many users use small monitors or medium monitors, but for me after you've gone to 32" there's no going back....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You do realize that ANYTHING not displayed at native resolution on an LCD (TV, monitor, or otherwise) is going to look like ****, right?
Last I heard, 1080i was nothing to sneeze at.....Especially compared to the current Trinitron

but 6 feet from a 42" screen is pretty much the same as 1-1.5 feet away from a 24". If it fills your vision, it fills your vision.
I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here, but wouldn't the reverse apply too then?????

I think I found a winner here.....

I'm not suggesting any of you newbies get this too, but I have seen it on display at Computer Boulevard and it looks damn good.......

1 - 20 of 1121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.