Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any motherboards out there (939 Socket, SLI ready) that can support 4 Gigs of ram? I'm sure you are wondering why on earth would I want 4 Gigs? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I live in a poor town where the best card on the market shelf is a GeForce MX 4000 and a high end pc is only a dream.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Most current boards and chipsets support it with 4+ DDR slots.. however, current CPUs can only address 4GB, with about 1GB of that reserved.

In short, if you installed 4 1GB sticks into a motherboard, it would only show up as 3.xGB in Windows.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
He said So939. That's Athlon64. That supports >4Gb by virtue of being 64-bit

·
Registered
608 Posts
Umm... why would you be limited to buy from market shelf? What about retailers online? I'm just curious.

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stilz said:
Umm... why would you be limited to buy from market shelf? What about retailers online? I'm just curious.
1. I STILL live with my mom :mad:
2. My credit card got maxed :cuss2:

If it weren't for those two, then I'd buy online.

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
I'm not sure about the mother board, but I remember seeing 8gb stick are being made...I'll look around for that...so I'm guessing if they are making those chips right now, boards will support that as a standart soon...

·
Registered
378 Posts
dual processor mac G5's support 8 gigs. prohibitively expensive though (3000+ just for the ram i think)

cooliscool said:
Most current boards and chipsets support it with 4+ DDR slots.. however, current CPUs can only address 4GB, with about 1GB of that reserved.

In short, if you installed 4 1GB sticks into a motherboard, it would only show up as 3.xGB in Windows.
could someone explain this to me? I don't get it. Mainly, why?

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
with 32bit cpus they can only address 4gbs of memory. but you have to have some memory set aside for you pci/agp cards. most of the time 512mbs. Therefor since your cpu can only adress 4gbs, and the pci/agp cards have 512 you will only see 3.5gbs of it.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Kane said:
Indeed.. didn't think about his post specifically.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Basicaly a 32-bit CPu can't count that high
2^32 = 4294967296
4Gb = 4294967296 bits
There's more to it than that, but htat's the basics.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Where do you live?
Even here in Brazil, and to be more specific, my city fortaleza, we see lots of hugh end pcs...(A64, X800, 6600GT...)

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Kane said:
And that also assumes that either he's not running Windows or he's got the beta 64-bit Windows. Windows itself isn't going to be able to address beyond 4G unless it has been (re)designed for it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Aided Onslaught said:
with 32bit cpus they can only address 4gbs of memory. but you have to have some memory set aside for you pci/agp cards. most of the time 512mbs. Therefor since your cpu can only adress 4gbs, and the pci/agp cards have 512 you will only see 3.5gbs of it.
That's wierd. I put 1 GB in my PC and it sees 1 GB when i turn it on and from within windows.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
>And that also assumes that either he's not running Windows or he's got the beta 64-bit Windows. Windows itself isn't going to be able to address beyond 4G unless it has been (re)designed for it.

• The system will pick up >4Gb even if Windows doesn't. He's not asking for windows to use it, he's asking for a board that supports it.
    I never once said that Windows XP 32 would support it.
  • XPx64 is RTM. It's out. It's not beta. It's Final. It has been for over a month now. While not purchasable retail, it's avaliable OEM if you purchase a power cable, or any other piece of equipment which would otherwise render your machine unusable
  • There have been x64 versions of Linux for ages.
>That's wierd. I put 1 GB in my PC and it sees 1 GB when i turn it on and from within windows.

Ditto. I think Aided Onslaught got hte wrong impression from somewhere

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
That's because it's below 4gbs...I don't see what you mean, and how it's werid...you can't go above 4gbs with 32bit cpu...and you also have to share what it can adress with you exspantion slots...

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
My apologies, I got the wrong end of the stick. I thought you were suggesting htat a portion of RAM was always assined to AGP/PCI, not that they share the address space.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
1. What good is an OS that doesn't detect how much RAM you have? It's not cost-effective to buy 4GB and then use 3.5G of it.

2. I wasn't aware XP64 was out of its beta stage. I haven't seen it available anywhere so I assumed it was still beta.

3. Indeed there has :) That's why my first statement was "either he's not running Windows..." - and linux is also not the only 64-bit OS.

Oh, and another thing...

I was digging around my linux kernel and noticed that there were a couple of high memory options... (check under the processor options)

Disabled (I believe it doesn't quite go up to 1 GB)

Support for up to 4 GB (like we're talking about)

Support for up to 64 GB... hmm... not tied to the 64-bit machines either as far as I can see. On the other hand, I doubt it would be very fast as each address would be beyond the native range (if it even worked).

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
KillerShots said:
Support for up to 64 GB... hmm... not tied to the 64-bit machines either as far as I can see. On the other hand, I doubt it would be very fast as each address would be beyond the native range (if it even worked).
Some versions of 32-bit Windows can address more than 4 GB of physical RAM as well (Advanced Server, etc.), although it uses hacks to achieve it. Not as fast as native-range addressing, but it works.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
I was going to say just the same...
I remember back in 2000, when i took my Compaq ASE, i remember really high mem capable servers, with 8 processors, 27 SCSI hdd´s....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts