Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any motherboards out there (939 Socket, SLI ready) that can support 4 Gigs of ram? I'm sure you are wondering why on earth would I want 4 Gigs? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I live in a poor town where the best card on the market shelf is a GeForce MX 4000 and a high end pc is only a dream.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Most current boards and chipsets support it with 4+ DDR slots.. however, current CPUs can only address 4GB, with about 1GB of that reserved.

In short, if you installed 4 1GB sticks into a motherboard, it would only show up as 3.xGB in Windows.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
He said So939. That's Athlon64. That supports >4Gb by virtue of being 64-bit

·
Registered
608 Posts
Umm... why would you be limited to buy from market shelf? What about retailers online? I'm just curious.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stilz said:
Umm... why would you be limited to buy from market shelf? What about retailers online? I'm just curious.
1. I STILL live with my mom :mad:
2. My credit card got maxed :cuss2:

If it weren't for those two, then I'd buy online.

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
I'm not sure about the mother board, but I remember seeing 8gb stick are being made...I'll look around for that...so I'm guessing if they are making those chips right now, boards will support that as a standart soon...

·
Registered
378 Posts
dual processor mac G5's support 8 gigs. prohibitively expensive though (3000+ just for the ram i think)

cooliscool said:
Most current boards and chipsets support it with 4+ DDR slots.. however, current CPUs can only address 4GB, with about 1GB of that reserved.

In short, if you installed 4 1GB sticks into a motherboard, it would only show up as 3.xGB in Windows.
could someone explain this to me? I don't get it. Mainly, why?

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
with 32bit cpus they can only address 4gbs of memory. but you have to have some memory set aside for you pci/agp cards. most of the time 512mbs. Therefor since your cpu can only adress 4gbs, and the pci/agp cards have 512 you will only see 3.5gbs of it.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Kane said:
Indeed.. didn't think about his post specifically.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Basicaly a 32-bit CPu can't count that high
2^32 = 4294967296
4Gb = 4294967296 bits
There's more to it than that, but htat's the basics.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Where do you live?
Even here in Brazil, and to be more specific, my city fortaleza, we see lots of hugh end pcs...(A64, X800, 6600GT...)

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Kane said:
And that also assumes that either he's not running Windows or he's got the beta 64-bit Windows. Windows itself isn't going to be able to address beyond 4G unless it has been (re)designed for it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Aided Onslaught said:
with 32bit cpus they can only address 4gbs of memory. but you have to have some memory set aside for you pci/agp cards. most of the time 512mbs. Therefor since your cpu can only adress 4gbs, and the pci/agp cards have 512 you will only see 3.5gbs of it.
That's wierd. I put 1 GB in my PC and it sees 1 GB when i turn it on and from within windows.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
>And that also assumes that either he's not running Windows or he's got the beta 64-bit Windows. Windows itself isn't going to be able to address beyond 4G unless it has been (re)designed for it.

• The system will pick up >4Gb even if Windows doesn't. He's not asking for windows to use it, he's asking for a board that supports it.
    I never once said that Windows XP 32 would support it.
  • XPx64 is RTM. It's out. It's not beta. It's Final. It has been for over a month now. While not purchasable retail, it's avaliable OEM if you purchase a power cable, or any other piece of equipment which would otherwise render your machine unusable
  • There have been x64 versions of Linux for ages.
>That's wierd. I put 1 GB in my PC and it sees 1 GB when i turn it on and from within windows.

Ditto. I think Aided Onslaught got hte wrong impression from somewhere

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
My apologies, I got the wrong end of the stick. I thought you were suggesting htat a portion of RAM was always assined to AGP/PCI, not that they share the address space.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
1. What good is an OS that doesn't detect how much RAM you have? It's not cost-effective to buy 4GB and then use 3.5G of it.

2. I wasn't aware XP64 was out of its beta stage. I haven't seen it available anywhere so I assumed it was still beta.

3. Indeed there has :) That's why my first statement was "either he's not running Windows..." - and linux is also not the only 64-bit OS.

Oh, and another thing...

I was digging around my linux kernel and noticed that there were a couple of high memory options... (check under the processor options)

Disabled (I believe it doesn't quite go up to 1 GB)

Support for up to 4 GB (like we're talking about)

Support for up to 64 GB... hmm... not tied to the 64-bit machines either as far as I can see. On the other hand, I doubt it would be very fast as each address would be beyond the native range (if it even worked).

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
KillerShots said:
Support for up to 64 GB... hmm... not tied to the 64-bit machines either as far as I can see. On the other hand, I doubt it would be very fast as each address would be beyond the native range (if it even worked).
Some versions of 32-bit Windows can address more than 4 GB of physical RAM as well (Advanced Server, etc.), although it uses hacks to achieve it. Not as fast as native-range addressing, but it works.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
I was going to say just the same...
I remember back in 2000, when i took my Compaq ASE, i remember really high mem capable servers, with 8 processors, 27 SCSI hdd´s....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.