Next Generation Emulation banner

3dmark05

810 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Vanit 
#1 ·
http://www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark05.shtml
3DMark05 is for the latest generation of DirectX9.0 graphics cards and its the first benchmark to require a DirectX9.0 compliant hardware with support for Pixel Shaders 2.0 or higher. so by combining high quality 3D, CPU feature image quality tools, 3DMark05 is best for evaluating the latest generation of gaming hardware. So do you guys think this program will help the fps?(or help anything...?) i do have ps2.0 and direct9c. I dont want to download a 300mb size program and find out that it was a waste of time.

#4 ·
press alt+F4 said:
its a benchmark to direct9
and direct 9 can help with ps2.0-3.0
actually ps2.0-3.0 are parts of directx 9 to improve speed and provide better image effects.

you obviously dont understand the word benchmark

it means run a pretend game and see how fast it goes.

its like saying "Run Halflife 2 before you do anything and itll makey your pc very fasty!"

#6 ·
In a word, no. 3DMark05 is a benchmarking tool which shows how fast your computer is with DirectX 9 capabilities (including PS 2.0/3.0). It merely shows how good your 3D hardware is ("3DMark05 is best for evaluating the latest generation of gaming hardware"). It doesn't improve performance or help your computer in any way.

#8 ·
Well, just because Nvidia had a difference of opinion with Futuremark doesn't mean the benchmark is useless. In fact, synthetic programs like 3DMark can actually be more useful for measuring the graphical potential of modern GPUs than modern games. Notice that many of the more creative features of 3D accelerators are not used by most developers. A lot of the technologies that Doom 3 uses are actually DirectX 7 technologies found in the original GeForce 256, but which have been largely ignored by most game developers. Although I'll grant that 3DMark is too graphically-oriented (it stresses the GPU a LOT more than the CPU) I don't think it's completely useless. Benchmarks are supposed to stress-test certain component(s) of the system using certain routines and every benchmark is synthetic in a way (even in-game ones). I mean, there is really no way to make a benchmark that accurately represents all games as each game uses its own engine and performance varies widely. A benchmark based on Doom 3 will not accurately represent Half-Life 2 or Warcraft III performance (and same with any other engine).

#10 ·
Well, I guess you could benchmark every game you play to find out your system's capabilities. 3DMark simply demonstrates what your system could do if developers implemented all the technologies of modern GPUs. Of course that's not usually the case though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.