Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well it looks to me like you lathed it from a closed line, you could just select the vertices that are out of order and move them in the right position or re-lathe it.

EDIT: Show some wire :thumb:

·
Jyushi Bismark
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kiroshi said:
Well it looks to me like you lathed it from a closed line, you could just select the vertices that are out of order and move them in the right position or re-lathe it.

EDIT: Show some wire :thumb:
Hmm, I don't know how to re-lath.

The two pics below show the object befor and after the meshsmooth.

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
thats weird. Ive used 3Ds Max a few times but no were near good enuph to help people with it.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
For this kind of objects, I suggest you use low-poly modeling with faces and vertices,
then if you want to make it really smoother, use the MeshSmooth modifier...
or set the buggy vertex in Corner mode instead of Smooth/Bezier

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well 3DS isnt my program of choice right now so some words I use may be different :). At the bottom where you are having this issue after smoothing, select the 8 faces you have down there and dissolve them into one face (dissolve is combining the selection into 1) that would solve the problem, or like Mr. Killjoy said rebuild it.

·
Jyushi Bismark
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, I started from the beginning to check if I made any mistakes, so far it looks quite good, I had to detach to element every curve of the object in order to use the meshsmoother (otherwise it would smooth everything at once, resulting in a poly soupe), now my problem is that STL check gives me 600 open edge errors ... Do I need to care about it?

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Sorry I can't help much I'm good only with low poly tools :p

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mr. Killjoy said:
Sorry I can't help much I'm good only with low poly tools :p
lol :lol: me and you both.

I dont understand this Detach option your doing in 3DS maybe I'm not understanding.

I usually box model everything complex and then convert to subd's for smoothing.

If you dont mind me asking what are you making? looks like some kind of part.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well it's simple. You start out by modeling with low-poly like a box ;) you build your model and once your done you convert all poly's to subdivision surfaces (SubD's). you should have a "Subdivide" option in 3DS, you can then change the smooth settings when you have subdivide activated. For me it makes things look more organic and real :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts