Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me which card to buy for a amd-k6 300 mhz system (I know it sucks) with windows 2000 in order to run an average game on epsxe 1.2 at a FPS of around 45-60? The lower the price the better, thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
The best card going for a low price, right now, is the GEForce MX. Great graphics, reasonable cost, uses Detonator drivers (IMHO the best drivers out there), and has FSAA. It should work fine w/a K6-300. I had one of those my self at one time. Great little processor. Now its an Athlon 900 and GeForce 2 GTS. Gotta love em.:emb:
Anyway, check into the GEForce MX, I think you'll be pleased. Best of luck.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
161 Posts
sxamiga, NOW, explain it to me! I had a voodoo3 and Zsnes ran Super Turrican with vsync ON at 60 fps (2xsai). Now I have the mighty Geforce 2 GTS and it only get 31 fps in Super Turrican with vsync enabled, sux hard! I'm using Dx7a now, because my GTS crash with Dx8, sux hard again! Where's the hype?

S

·
0 Posts
Do not shout at me, it will get you no where and I will not tolerate it!:mad: Explain what to you?:confused: I was reccommending a good card for him to get and I mentioned the GEForce MX not the GTS, since he said he wanted to save some money. I said that I love my GTS and I do. I run ZSNES, ePSXe, SNES 9x for Windows, Game Lad, Meka, Gens, No Cash Gameboy, VGS, Adripsx, and many other emulators at full speed each and every time w/my GEForce 2 GTS. I have never had any slowdowns, even when there are many graphics on the screen, like in Gauntlet 4 for Genesis(Gens). Why don't I have slow downs and you do? Most likely, differences in our systems for one thing. CPUs, OSs, etc. Another thing, if you want to try something, turn VSync off. Pete reccommended this when using his plugins, maybe it applies to other emulators as well. I have VSync turned of in my control panel and as I said, full speed w/everything I run. Don't knock the card until all the facts are known and all the options have been tried. Is that enough of an explanation, I certainly hope so.
sx/amiga

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hyllian,
what's your processor ,mobo etc
i think your geforce is suffering from bottleneck prob

like mine , i had a great graphic card
but had the wrong mobo (asus p3v133)
my mobo only support agp2x
so high texture game(undying etc) tend to run at 20fps only

·
Registered
161 Posts
sxamiga, my system is an Athlon slot1, ASUS K7M, 128MB Ram. But the system isn't important because I'm using the same system with both video cards. And in the same system, my voodoo3 runs Super Turrican with vsync enabled at 60fps, and my GTS runs it at 31 fps. Then it would be reasonable that my GTS would be more faster, but it's slower. I think that GTS is slow in VESA modes, but in 3D it's the King! And sorry if you got me wrong, I'm not complaining to you, I'm furious with my new card, only it...

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
I don't know about zsnes but if you use snes9x instead with one of the opengl modes you'll get a lot better performance Hyllian.

Thats my experience anyways.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
That s true betamax...

I ve reported that snes 9x doesn t require as much ressources than zsnes.(the difference was clearly shown: on a celeron 633
w/ an intel graphic card onboard, w/ zsnes it was nearly 40fps
and w/ snes 9x it runs smoothly w/ 60 fps...) In fact the weak point w/ snes 9x between zsnes is the compatibility.

But that s just what i ve reported so...

bye

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Its the old story.

What is more important? Performance, compatiblity or cost.

to quote my dishcloth (I kid you not!)

If its good and fast it won't be cheap.
If its cheap and good it won't be fast.
If its fast and cheap it won't be good.

In other words

If it runs everything well it probably will cost money
If it's free and runs everything it won't be developed quickly
If its free and runs games fast it probably won't run many (think of Ultrahle when ot came out. )

Thats my psychology lesson for today

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Hyllian. I would be angry too if my new card couldn't out perform my old card and the new card was supposed to be better. You are probably right about the VESA modes, I'm not sure what I'm using on ZSNES and SNES 9x. All I know is that my GTS card performs flawlessly and at full speed.
What speed is your processor? Mine is an Athlon Slot One 900, maybe having a nice fast processor like that has something to do with it also. What ever the case, I hope you can resolve your problems and I hope that I did not cause any hurt feelings.:emb:
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
161 Posts
My Athlon is 650MHz. But I won't change my CPU to get 60 fps in zsnes, if my old voodoo3 can do it, then my GTS has to do it too! But if not, then this card isn't so powerfull as I thought...

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have an Athlon 750 and a GeForce 256 and it runs Zsnes and Snes9x and epsxe both at 800x600 in 55-60fps with no probs at all.

Maybe you just have a bad combination of drivers for your GeForce.
Try checking GeForceFaq.com.

S

·
0 Posts
Aoshi, that is a very good idea. Hyllian, maybe you could check that out also. Before I got my 900, I, also, had an Athon 650 and my GEForce GTS card performed flwlessly w/that one as well. Another thing you could do is make sure that you have the very latest drivers for your card. You can find drivers at www.nvidia.com, www.3dchipset.com, or www.reactorcritical.com Best of luck.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
I'm running ePSXe and lots of other systems emus (N64,SNES...)on a PIII [email protected]/GeForce2 Pro and most of them are running at full speed(Daedalus and TR64 are a bit slow).
I'm using the 12.00 leaked drivers.
Bye.

S

·
0 Posts
Raziel, I'm using the 1200 drivers too, and I like them very much. Never have had any problems w/them. The 11.01 drivers are good also.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

1 - 16 of 16 Posts