Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the point??
was looking on ebay for a cheap pci-e card that i can use instead of my crappy agp card. (love the dual slot agp/pcie) And the 320mb came up. And i thought to myself, why didnt they just go with the standard 512mb? I mean games now take at least 512mb for all the stuff or higher res.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
GeForce 8 Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This will answer it. It's an early 8800GS card, they came in 320MB and 640MB because of their bus width not being 256 or 512MB, and those are always related. It was the budget high-end model, crippled in some way to cut costs. Back then 320 was perfectly fine for any game, 512 was a luxury, and the 768 of the GTX was humongous.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
Forget nvidia buy the HD4870!

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not too sure what i want too buy,
i was just looking for a cheap fix at the moment.
My x1800xt is fried, my fatal1ty mobo is dead, or at least i need to look how to fix it.
and i am stuck with old parts.
At least a newer video card would make my games look better a little.

And thanx cid, that actually explained a lot:thumb: I didnt even realize the bus with was connected like that.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
That was correct back then Cid, but now that you can buy 1024MiB memory modules, you can get 1GB on a 256bit bus.

Each module interfaces the ddr controller with a 32bit channel. this is tightly linked to throughput as well as memory capacity.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Im not too sure what i want too buy,
i was just looking for a cheap fix at the moment.
My x1800xt is fried, my fatal1ty mobo is dead, or at least i need to look how to fix it.
and i am stuck with old parts.
At least a newer video card would make my games look better a little.

And thanx cid, that actually explained a lot:thumb: I didnt even realize the bus with was connected like that.
Look at the 9600GT and then go up as far as your budget will allow.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i did see an 8600 or 8400 for like 30$ i forget which one it was though =/
figure its pretty cheap, and will run in my board(board limits the cards you can use)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
anything below a x600GT is a waste of cash.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
That was correct back then Cid, but now that you can buy 1024MiB memory modules, you can get 1GB on a 256bit bus.

Each module interfaces the ddr controller with a 32bit channel. this is tightly linked to throughput as well as memory capacity.
It's still correct that they are closely linked and always multiples of each other I think. But I knew 1GB on 256bit is possible, I got one of those headed my way ;)

The odd "amount of bits" for the bus width dictates that it has to have such an odd amount of RAM as well, just like with the GTX260 now.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
It's still correct that they are closely linked and always multiples of each other I think. But I knew 1GB on 256bit is possible, I got one of those headed my way ;)

The odd "amount of bits" for the bus width dictates that it has to have such an odd amount of RAM as well, just like with the GTX260 now.
And on that topic: <3 my GTX260

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
And on that topic: <3 my GTX260
The memory it has definitely gives it an edge over the default 512MB 4870, I just have a feeling that it's such a big bottleneck in games where you can crank up texture detail. Being a texture whore, I'm happy to say the 1GB version is on its way ;)

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Schumi, youre beast probably has enough computing power to run the government over there
My PC is not a beast. It's a workhorse. Poor thing has to work 24/7. Although luckily for it I am still used to the workload my 3700+ could handle so most the time it it has a very easy life despite having to do something the whole time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts