Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 30" CRT 720p HDTV for free. When it was at the guys house it worked fine but when I got it home and turned it on the screen turned bright red and then a kind of pink and then shuts off.

Does anyone know anything about CRTs and could give me an idea of what could cause this? Would it be worth fixing? The picture looked absolutely beautiful (better than any LCD I've ever seen) and I'd really like to get it fixed if I don't have to sell my soul to pay for it.

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
sounds like a power supply issue also maybe the circuits controlling the beams or even the electron gun, probably would be a bit expensive to fix it
can you get any sound from the TV?

I'm certain if it worked at that guys house something happened to the power supply when you transported it to your house

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
can you get any sound from the TV?
No, but through the red you can see some sort of "Please Wait" message, presumably the TV setting itself back up after being unplugged.

If I could get it fixed for <$250 it may be worth it, otherwise I'll probably just throw it out.

I found this from a forum where someone was having a similar problem:
Sounds to me like either the red CRT is shorting, or else losing the 200v;
either will give a bright red screen with retrace lines. The set's protect
circuits sense the current draw and shut the set down.
I don't know too much about CRT, but if he means shorting as in the standard electrical definition, it seems pretty practical that a wire could have came loose and be touching something it shouldn't. I don't understand the "losing the 200v" part because I thought CRT screens used much higher voltages than that? Though I suppose he could be talking about the voltage before it hits the transformer.

Oh, and it's a Toshiba 30HF66.

One more question: Is there any major difference in the CRTs made in the late 80s / early 90s and these HD CRTs? (Other than the resolution and probably more complicated computer circuits?) I know a guy who used to own a TV repair shop in the 80s and 90s.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.