Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't take this the wrong way, I'm glad to know there's a good emulator for the XBOX currently in development.

1)Creating an emulator is illegal, it's expensive hardware converted to free software. Thus, why are you complaining to people who say they "downloaded" a game? They're both illegal so there is no difference. I personally don't download any game unless I want to "test" it. As for the XBOX I don't really want to buy it since the only game I want to try on it is Fable. If they ported that to the PC I'd probably buy it though.

2)Why release an emulator to the general public before it's complete? I didn't really see but if it's an Open Source emulator then maybe that would be an ok thing to do. But you should only have it downloadable by programmers then. Don't get this message wrong though, I know plenty of emulators get released before they can actually run games. Except for Chanka (DC emulator) which was released when it could get in-game with decent speed. Another thing, if it's for testing and seeing if there's any "bugs" well, the only thing is that it can't go in-game so that's not a valid reason.

3)This ties into number 2. If it doesn't go in game it's not complete so the version number souldn't be 1.0 in my opinion. It should be 0.x to let people know that it won't do anything except render black screens at a low frame skip.

Anyway, again don't take this the wrong way. I'm happy to know there's a XBOX emulator on the way, I may not use it though since I don't have xbox games, but it's good to know, thanks.

[edit]
Additional 4) Just read you're working on another emulator as well. My question is simply this.... XBOX is the least worked on console emulator in existence, why not spend more time on it to benefit everyone?

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
  1. The Emulator itself is not illegal. It's in a grey area, but it's not illegal. Downloading games is illegal, andthere is no two ways about it. The only reason this site has manage to survive so long has been to strive to be as legal as possible; no ROMs, no BIOS images, no ISOs, and no helping people we know who have downloaded such things.
  2. To maintain interest? To get help in the creation?
  3. It runs Turok, IIRC
  4. There is cxbx as well don't forget. You don't need to focus on one emulator for it to become good

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) I see, but still, an emulator is emulated hardware on one's computer. Just confused how that couldn't be illegal since that's what roms, etc, are. Isn't the bios software inside the system that acts as a GUI, or option hub? How could emulating that be more illegal than emulating 400 dollars worth of hardware?

2) Thanks for the reply on this one, I didn't expect there to be a really big reason, but if there was I wanted to be filled in. ;)

3) It runs Turok? Didn't know that, thanks (If it was mentioned somewhere I must have overlooked it).

4) Actually, I didn't know cxbx existed. :lol: But still, an xbox emulator (fully working) would be cool, maybe you all should team up with cxbx and any other xbox emulator programmers to see if you can put thoughts together? ~ Just a thought,

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
1. The emulator itself doesnt use any of the consoles code. It is all made form scratch.

3. CXBX runs Turok Evolution very well and Xeon can boot Halo (not playable as there are alot of gfx bugs ingame). Those are the only games that i know of that show something

4. We all want a fully playable emu :p Caustik (author of CXBX) has already approached __SF__ (author of Xeon). It seems that they wont be working on the same emu. now it doesnt mean that they cant share info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1) Oh I see, since it's not using copyrighted coding it can't be declared fully illegal? That makes sense, in a strange and weird way.

3) Ah ok, thanks for that information.

4) Ah, hopefully they do atleast share information. Thanks for that information as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Talikar said:
1) Oh I see, since it's not using copyrighted coding it can't be declared fully illegal? That makes sense, in a strange and weird way.
Its not strange if that wasn't legal AMD chips would be illegal, every word processor, WINE, and windows xp would all be illegal.

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
Talikar said:
1)Creating an emulator is illegal...
Not Really... emulators have been around for a while and only a few have been struck down, mainly because they were makin $$$ off of it. Some just were discontinued becasue they got tied up in lawsutes, like Bleam.

Talikar said:
2)Why release an emulator to the general public before it's complete?
To show its a valid emulator. Anyone could claim they have a working emulator, but releasing lets the author show off his amazing ablilitys and gives a glimse of what will be comming in the future.

Talikar said:
3)If it doesn't go in game it's not complete so the version number souldn't be 1.0 in my opinion...
Well, thanks for your opinion, but who gives a darn what u think. I think they can name it what ever the fillpin they want to, its their emulator.

Talikar said:
4) XBOX is the least worked on console emulator in existence, why not spend more time on it to benefit everyone?
Why dont you spend some of your time working on it. Emulation is not sumethin that can be done over night, and not something eveyone can create. Let them work at their own speed and be thankfull for what you have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not Really... emulators have been around for a while and only a few have been struck down, mainly because they were makin $$$ off of it. Some just were discontinued becasue they got tied up in lawsutes, like Bleam.
I still think creating an emulator is 'more' illegal than making the bios that an emulator needs to run pretty much. It's pretty much like this: "We're going to give you an emulator now. Oh yeah! Sorry but this emulator won't work unless you get a GUI/Bios to run it (I call it a GUI because it's pretty much a graphical interface/hub to get in-game).

To show its a valid emulator. Anyone could claim they have a working emulator, but releasing lets the author show off his amazing ablilitys and gives a glimse of what will be comming in the future.
I overlooked this entire reasoning behind it. Yes, that makes perfect sense (no sarcasm intended). Thanks for that point.

Well, thanks for your opinion, but who gives a darn what u think. I think they can name it what ever the fillpin they want to, its their emulator.
This is just rude, I was in no way trying to be rude with saying this. By the way, good job at missing the rest of that point. I mentioned that it would be more beneficial to make it 0.x because normally something goes 1.0 when it's working in-game, etc, or that's how other's see this number. The version method I'm thinking of is what Chankast uses (except they could have started with 1.x since it goes in-game).

My point was that it would be less confusing to people to make it 0.x, I wasn't trying to sound as though making it 1.x was plain out wrong and they should change it immediately. If they want to use 1.x , etc, that's their choice and I respect that.

Oh and to throw it back at you, if you don't treat all as equal in a community then who cares what you think either? However, I'm at fault for not really elaborating on my points in the first post, I just think with what you're saying you just want to create an enemy out of me instead of debate, etc.

Why dont you spend some of your time working on it. Emulation is not sumethin that can be done over night, and not something eveyone can create. Let them work at their own speed and be thankfull for what you have.
I understand the fact everyone has personal lives, I have nothing against them for taking a long time making an emulator. I was refering to the fact that one of the devs (I think, read it awhile ago) was making a "secret" emulator. I just meant that more time should be set for the XBOX emulator, plus, other programmers should team up to benefit everyone. Believe me when I say, if I knew that type of programming I would "lend a helping hand" to the devs, that is deffinately for sure.

Unfortunately I'm a novice php/html user so I can't really go about helping with the production of an emulator. Unless of course you all want one that doesn't work, then maybe I can be of service to you all. ;)

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
I still think creating an emulator is 'more' illegal than making the bios that an emulator needs to run pretty much. It's pretty much like this: "We're going to give you an emulator now. Oh yeah! Sorry but this emulator won't work unless you get a GUI/Bios to run it (I call it a GUI because it's pretty much a graphical interface/hub to get in-game).
The BIOS in itself isn't illegal. I'm fully legaly entitled to rip the BIOS from my own PSX/PS2. And that is what we are meant to do
This is just rude, I was in no way trying to be rude with saying this. By the way, good job at missing the rest of that point. I mentioned that it would be more beneficial to make it 0.x because normally something goes 1.0 when it's working in-game, etc, or that's how other's see this number. The version method I'm thinking of is what Chankast uses (except they could have started with 1.x since it goes in-game).

My point was that it would be less confusing to people to make it 0.x, I wasn't trying to sound as though making it 1.x was plain out wrong and they should change it immediately. If they want to use 1.x , etc, that's their choice and I respect that.

Oh and to throw it back at you, if you don't treat all as equal in a community then who cares what you think either? However, I'm at fault for not really elaborating on my points in the first post, I just think with what you're saying you just want to create an enemy out of me instead of debate, etc.
IMO it's up to the authors what they want to name thier app. Sure in a way that makes more sense, but that's not what they did.

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts

Yes, I'm sorry if I sounded rude but it's up to the emu authors to decide how they want to call it. They could name it CXBX 1, CXBX 2, CXBX 3 for all I care. It may not be the most "efficient" or "logical" way but it is what they chose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Viper_Viper said:
Yes, I'm sorry if I sounded rude but it's up to the emu authors to decide how they want to call it. They could name it CXBX 1, CXBX 2, CXBX 3 for all I care. It may not be the most "efficient" or "logical" way but it is what they chose.
Sorry for being rude as well, and yeah they could do that. Thanks for all your time all, I've ran out of stupid questions, but if I think of any I'll let you all know...

Again thanks, your answers has been helpful to me and I understand things a bit more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts