Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Heard the rumors that the much-maligned Windows 7 Starter Edition would be able to run more than three concurrent applications?

Today, the Windows team made it official: 'Based on the feedback we've received from partners and customers asking us to enable a richer small notebook PC experience with Windows 7 Starter, we've decided to enable Windows 7 Starter customers the ability to run as many applications simultaneously as they would like, instead of being constricted to the 3 application limit that the previous Starter editions included.

We believe these changes will make Windows 7 Starter an even more attractive option for customers who want a small notebook PC for very basic tasks, like browsing the web, checking email and personal productivity.' Small consolation, of course, if you want to watch a DVD natively, but I'm sure this won't stop the Slashdot crowd from enabling it."

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Oh but that's just one of the many. :p

You're also limited to the following:
- No multi-user sessions. You have to log one off before accessing another.
- You can't change desktop backgrounds, sound schemes or window colors, among with other customization features.
- No multi-monitor support
- No DVD playback support (not sure if it's imposing a limit on all media players as a whole, but maybe not...)
- No support for streaming local media contents over the internet
- No XP Mode for backwards compatibility

And the list goes on...

And M$ keeps wondering why Windows XP Home is still preferred... :innocent:

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
Honestly, the 3 apps limit really wasn't that bad. It was designed for netbooks... Not like you're going to be doing serious multitasking. And the 3 apps ignored background applications like AV so it really wasn't that bad.

·
You're already dead...
5,472 Posts
i thought this was a joke thread.
they really were going to limit the OS to 3 applications? :eek:
what is the purpose of that?

apparently theres alot of retards that think that 'limiting good features' is 'easier.'
retards like most Apple developers (the old macs with one-button mice, the iphone with no-buttons)

limiting good features just makes it harder to do stuff.

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
i thought this was a joke thread.
they really were going to limit the OS to 3 applications? :eek:
what is the purpose of that?

apparently theres alot of retards that think that 'limiting good features' is 'easier.'
retards like most Apple developers (the old macs with one-button mice, the iphone with no-buttons)

limiting good features just makes it harder to do stuff.
mmmm i have to agree with the retarded 1 button mouse idea of apple devs. about the iphone....well i have a iphone and i don´t see why the use of buttons is required actually.

·
You're already dead...
5,472 Posts
Honestly, the 3 apps limit really wasn't that bad. It was designed for netbooks... Not like you're going to be doing serious multitasking. And the 3 apps ignored background applications like AV so it really wasn't that bad.
what happens if you're on an IM client + surfing the web + listening to music.

then you need to open win-calc for something?
that'd be so ****ing annoying to close apps whenever the limit is reached.

i don't even know what it would tell you cuz its such a retarded feature.
"warning you have 3 apps open and want to open a 4th one! i won't let you LOLz!"

·
You're already dead...
5,472 Posts
mmmm i have to agree with the retarded 1 button mouse idea of apple devs. about the iphone....well i have a iphone and i don´t see why the use of buttons is required actually.
the problem is with gaming.

the touch-pad functionality sucks for games that require multi-touch, or quick button-presses.

for example, there's a NES emu for the iphone, and they had to dedicated 1/4 of the iphone screen to be a touch-pad controller.
and i read the dev had difficulty getting the buttons to respond well-enough, because the iphone sucks at multi-touch.

and yes i have an iphone, and i've lost interest to develop for it, because the lack of buttons makes it suck for games.
(also because the iphone sdk only runs on mac os x)

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
the problem is with gaming.

the touch-pad functionality sucks for games that require multi-touch, or quick button-presses.

for example, there's a NES emu for the iphone, and they had to dedicated 1/4 of the iphone screen to be a touch-pad controller.
and i read the dev had difficulty getting the buttons to respond well-enough, because the iphone sucks at multi-touch.

and yes i have an iphone, and i've lost interest to develop for it, because the lack of buttons makes it suck for games.
(also because the iphone sdk only runs on mac os x)
mmmm i have to agree with you on that... i thought you were talking about normal functionality and not about gaming.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The IPhone isn't a good device for games in general. In my opinion it's just good for puzzle games if you're bored for example while waiting for the train. Android phones are the way to go, it's open source, you get all the good apps and you don't have to jailbreak it. (I HATE thos policy of apple!)
Currently the battery life of android phones suck, but I think this will change with the new phones coming this/next year.

Here an example what android phones are capable of, you will get this emulator through android market and it's a PRE-ALPHA, and it looks awesome for that:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.