Next Generation Emulation banner

3.2GHz P4 on a 3.0GHz limit mobo?

976 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Chrono Archangel 
#1 ·
Well, my sis's mobo took it's last breath and I'm making her another pc from parts I have laying around. It's gonna be a P4E 3.2GHz, 512MB Ram, Radeon 7000 and the rest is standard fare. Considering her old one was a 2.8 Celeron with 256 SD ram it's huge improvement.

Anyhow, I was wondering.....I have a mobo that has an upper limit of 3GHz. What happens if I use the processor on that? will it burn up or be underclocked....I don't care as long as it works. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
The 3.0 GHz limit is probably due to the fact that the board/chipset only supports FSB 533 (last 533 P4 was 3.06GHz). For a P4E, you'll have to by a board with a chipset that supports FSB 800.

Motherboards don't limit the speed that a CPU can go, as long as the chipset supports it.

#7 · (Edited)
and do you have any idea if that update would apply to mobos from other manufactures?? Mine is a GigaByte that I think uses the same chip or something with different last letters.

P.S. I'm being awfully lazy, no? sorry for that. I finish my finals on saturday and after 6 weeks of written and practical exams, things can really get boring. less than 96 hours to go!!!

#8 ·
Nameless said:
and do you have any idea if that update would apply to mobos from other manufactures?? Mine is a GigaByte that I think uses the same chip or something with different last letters.

P.S. I'm being awfully lazy, no? sorry for that. I finish my finals on saturday and after 6 weeks of written and practical exams, things can really get boring. less than 96 hours to go!!!
id check GigaByte's website...
im not too sure if using the Intel one would be good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.