Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right..I'm having problems with 2d aspects of my games. Not the sprites. I use petes plugin, and they get smoothed out and all.. But the backgrounds, and prerendered backgrounds in games like ff7-9, chrono cross etc, are pixellaly as hell. What can I do to fix this? I even tried manually selecting anti-aliasing in my card driver, but slows the game down tremendously, and doesnt smooth out any of the backgrounds.

My system:
1.3ghz p4
256ram
nvidia geforce II mx 32mb

S

·
0 Posts
You have enable filtering to make the 2D parts look good. Either standard or extended filtering (found in the config box, click on it and open it) should do the trick. BTW, you say FSAA slows down your game? I use full FSAA all the time and never experience any slowdowns. I'm using a GEForce 2 GTS video card.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I think people have found that FSAA in OpenGL smoothes out jaggies on 3D stuff while FSAA in D3D smooths 3D and 2D. I'm not sure if what I said is exactly true, but I think D3D does 2D FSAA better at least. And don't use FSAA on a high res. Try 800x600 or maybe 1024x768 at the max.

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
Try running the game at a resolution of a multiple of the original psx resolution.. Like 640x480 or 960x720.. Then turn of 4xFSAA and see the difference.. I always use a 640x480 or 960x720 now in all my games where 2d graphics are used... It makes them look less pixelated or completely unpixelated.. Of course I got a voodoo 5 so that might make a difference as to how 2d will look on your system.. Check out my screens shots of RE2.. 2d can look great too..

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
Yes..it is the same as bilinear filtering.. I usually use bilinear filtering w\out sprites for 2d games since I can use 4xFSAA.. Makes the 2d look way better than bilinear filtering.. No cracks and weird graphic artifacts.. Petes pluggins just has some extra settings for bilinear filtering..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts